Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: War of the Roses  (Read 13155 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
War of the Roses
« on: March 11, 2012, 01:12:50 am »

Think Mount&blade but polished to a high degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBwL6e-lSg
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Roses
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:49 am »

Hell yes! I love Mount and Blade but you have to admit that it did lack a hell of polish. 
The time period is also pretty cool and hardly ever done.

I can't really love Paradox more at this point.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:05 am »

I'm defiantly going to be buying this, paradox hasn't steered me wrong yet.

And I also love the time period.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:55 am »

looks like, erh, another large warband mod. At least not like WFAS when it is propped up by East European Bickering...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:29:31 am »

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2012/video.html?sid=6365126 - Some actual gameplay by people who don't know how to play or something

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,189379.msg5273521.html#msg5273521 - discussion about said video from people who play M&B

From the looks of it I'll be sticking with Warband to get my melee fix.

We'll see.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:31:05 am »

Did I just see a guy in helmet and full chain suit jump off of a roof to attack someone below? WTF please I hope they dont have silly shit like that.

Right at 0:45

EDIT: Yeah I watched the gameplay above. looks really dumb when the player got hit and fell down, only to get right back up and run around swinging like a madman. It seems to lack realism at this point and has a lot more stuff where realism is chucked.

Still could change I guess, so here hoping its not lame, because the polish looks, kinda polished i guess.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:36:14 am by ductape »
I got nothing

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:03 am »

While it looks quite good and pretty interesting, but it honestly looks like Lead and Gold (made by the same developer as War of the Roses) was put in a medieval setting. I wouldn't call it a highly polished M&B either, as M&B at least had a good singleplayer campaign, while this is just apparently training and gives you rewards for multiplayer. It'll be fun, but only for a little while. Expect it to be like Fire and Sword.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:04 am »

PTW.  Looks very brutal, as the wars during that era really, really were. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:12 am »

Did I just see a guy in helmet and full chain suit jump off of a roof to attack someone below? WTF please I hope they dont have silly shit like that.

at 0:35-37 the sound effects were ripped from zelda.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:34 am »

Yep, Assassin's Creed-style.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 01:35:57 am »

It happens in Warband sometimes, but it's not nearly as dramatic...

Though to be honest, if there's a rooftop the archers will be up there shooting down, there's no way they'd be on the ground with rooftops available. At least that's what I've experienced.

Fuck archers. >=(

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:39:55 am »

Though to be honest, if there's a rooftop the archers will be up there shooting down, there's no way they'd be on the ground with rooftops available. At least that's what I've experienced.

Fuck archers. >=(

I agree, they were the hardest part of attacking forts and cities. Although I did love kiting around people and headshotting people like a sniper.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:40:13 am »

Fuck archers. >=(

The promo video in the OP shows a bunch of archers firing from the ground, but they're in the middle of a field.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:15 am »

Jumping from buildings hurts, try it. Now try it in 150 lbs of armor. With a sword. And a full helmet on that you can only see out of a port that is about 2 inches high and approximately 90 degrees of arc from left to right. I wonder what the greaves feel like on your shins when you land, that is IF you land on your feet with al the weight throwing your balance off.

Then, as you land, dont roll or absorb the shock in any way. Just keep on running and smite the fool below! Oh yeah, and always run, never walk. In all the armor, no matter how hot it is or how fatigued you might be from the last 5 buildings you jumped from.

I know, realism isnt as fun, but this looks silly.

PTW.  Looks very brutal, as the wars during that era really, really were.

More brutal than other wars? :P
I got nothing

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:46:40 am »

Ehh it looks pretty but really silly. Not like m&b is incredibly realistic, but when people compare this to m&b it just feels silly. What with the silly over the top finishing moves and knights in plate armor jumping down from roofs. It also seems to have the problem of most games of the genre in which armor doesnt seem to do anything but look pretty.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5