Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Save the DM!  (Read 17841 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save the DM!
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 12:31:25 pm »

In the absence of a dwarven economy, a literal dungeon-keeping dungeon master can demand coins and other valuables to keep safe in his dungeon. And... perhaps the amount of treasure secreted away in the dungeon can be a factor in determining the rank of other nobles, that is, promotion from baron to count to duke, and it can otherwise play into the prestige your fortress enjoys...?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »

I would love having a noble that demanded that I build them a dungeon and that I fill it with exotic beasts and treasure.
Same; One of the only reasons I mint coins is so that I can build a nice room to pit a dragon into.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »

Well, the way I was thinking about it, you weren't given a DM, and then he demands you make a dungeon, the idea is you make a dungeon, and that gives you the reward of having a DM, which in turn, gives you added functionality to your interface.

There's a big difference in that it gives players who don't want a dungeon, and want to have axelords as their main defense the ability to opt-out of adding something that is complicated and may take up more of their time that they don't want to spend on these things.

In fact, this same issue came up with that monstrous farming thread I was dealing with a while ago - giving players the ability to opt out of the most complex aspects of different portions of the game they don't want to play rather than forcing it on them should be a feature of all the more advanced aspects of DF.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »

Well, the way I was thinking about it, you weren't given a DM, and then he demands you make a dungeon, the idea is you make a dungeon, and that gives you the reward of having a DM, which in turn, gives you added functionality to your interface.

There's a big difference in that it gives players who don't want a dungeon, and want to have axelords as their main defense the ability to opt-out of adding something that is complicated and may take up more of their time that they don't want to spend on these things.

In fact, this same issue came up with that monstrous farming thread I was dealing with a while ago - giving players the ability to opt out of the most complex aspects of different portions of the game they don't want to play rather than forcing it on them should be a feature of all the more advanced aspects of DF.

I know it would be somewhat pointless, but I would love to know how many creatures were captured/caged/maimed by my traps....

Granted, I already build something like a dungeon for fun, but this would make it even more fun.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »

I know it would be somewhat pointless, but I would love to know how many creatures were captured/caged/maimed by my traps....

Granted, I already build something like a dungeon for fun, but this would make it even more fun.

Well, "building a dungeon for your adventurer to explore" is one of those things that is supposed to be a core part of DF, already. 

Making an incentive for players to create dungeons would lend itself well to this original design goal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:18 am »

a wonderful idea i saw someone else suggest was to bring him back after adding in the tavern/town stuff to fortress mode.

the hammerer is a dwarven justice enforcer, that does not deal with spys/theifs/etc of other races, those are simply thrown in the fortress dungeon, where the DM takes over interrogation/punishment.

considering toady's eventual plans for the stuff to allow your fort to interact with the world, he would have a pretty major impact on the political and criminal aspects of your fortress.

i just don't think having a  immigrant noble be required to do something any other dwarf could do is a little silly. mechanics are full well capable of maintaining traps, and siege engineers know what their doing, also a 'dungeon' would have to confirm to the games idea of a dungeon, not the players.

on the same idea, adding a 'head' noble to each 'department' would be nice, particularly if he provided some management related benefit, NOT some magical superpower.
i.e.
Chief Engineer: mechanics and siege operators/engineers, helps with targeting, maintaining traps/mechanics and artillery.
CMD: already in, just fits with the idea.
Head Mason: masons/stonecutters, manages the workflow of his section, making sure everyone gets jobs they are well suited to.
Head Smith: obvious who he controls, can manage work orders of smithing stuff, and who is using what workshops.
DUNGEON MASTER: depending on his position could coordinate animal training/retraining, or in the case of him being the 'true' keeper of the dungeon, he could maintain the jail/dungeon cell assignments/releases/maintenance.

with similar positions for each 'area' of fortress life. the heads could also bring the demands of various members to your attention, such as your legendary metalsmith would like a nice room close to the forges.

having these nobles would also give the player more control of the workflow, such as only using granite for furniture etc etc.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »

the hammerer is a dwarven justice enforcer, that does not deal with spys/theifs/etc of other races, those are simply thrown in the fortress dungeon, where the DM takes over interrogation/punishment.
This would be a good split. Interrogating goblins could give you a hint of what sorts of troops the next siege would have, and kobolds, once the army arc is implemented, could reveal the location of their cave, so you could send your army out and exterminate them. Plus I just like the thought of a kobold, shivering on dirty straw, an iron chain chafing his leg looking up in fear as a dwarf, completely naked save for 10 cloaks walks into the cell and approaches, saying, "And now, you sneaky bastard, we will discuss the location of your hidden cave..."
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:06 pm »

I'd honestly prefer the Dungeon Master be an "evolved" member of your own fort than an appointed noble, however. 

Of course, coming from off-map, you could say that's where they got the special training, but basically, I like the idea that you could have a sort of strange mood where an elite animal trainer goes off on a journey and comes back a couple months later as a Dungeon Master with new animal-training related powers and some extra pets. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:49 am »

^ nice idea, gets you new breeding stock, AND an elite trainer. though 10-1 odds say he goes the way of the caravans and gets ambushed instantly  :P

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 02:00:59 am »

I'd honestly prefer the Dungeon Master be an "evolved" member of your own fort than an appointed noble, however. 

Of course, coming from off-map, you could say that's where they got the special training, but basically, I like the idea that you could have a sort of strange mood where an elite animal trainer goes off on a journey and comes back a couple months later as a Dungeon Master with new animal-training related powers and some extra pets.

wait.. isn't there a historical figure that does that? A leader that 'went off into the wild and tamed the rutherers' and then their civ will bring that animal whenever it besieges you?

it probably wouln't take much to rework that existing feature as an action performed by fortress dwarves.. as long as the world beyond your borders still has some abstraction to it...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 02:33:23 am »

wait.. isn't there a historical figure that does that? A leader that 'went off into the wild and tamed the rutherers' and then their civ will bring that animal whenever it besieges you?

it probably wouln't take much to rework that existing feature as an action performed by fortress dwarves.. as long as the world beyond your borders still has some abstraction to it...

Yeah, but that's something any historical figure can do.

The point of this would be something more like a Strange Mood that exists only when you hit the preconditions for a Dungeon Master to appear - which might be training enough arbitrarily exotic enough animals (or get enough tamed exotic animal kills or whatever).  Then the mooder who goes off into the wild to further his/her training would be one of your top animal trainers. 

When they come back, they're now a Dungeon Master and have some new knowledge from their secret training, and maybe some new pets.  They then give you access to whatever interface feature they can give you access to, like that specialized selective breeding menu idea, or an animal training menu.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 03:07:42 am »

once we get genealogy into DF that would be truly awesome.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 06:36:54 am »

Yeah, but that's something any historical figure can do.

The point of this would be something more like a Strange Mood that exists only when you hit the preconditions for a Dungeon Master to appear - which might be training enough arbitrarily exotic enough animals (or get enough tamed exotic animal kills or whatever).  Then the mooder who goes off into the wild to further his/her training would be one of your top animal trainers. 

When they come back, they're now a Dungeon Master and have some new knowledge from their secret training, and maybe some new pets.  They then give you access to whatever interface feature they can give you access to, like that specialized selective breeding menu idea, or an animal training menu.

I really like this line of thinking.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:55 am »

The idea of "Wander off into the wilderness" strange moods has a wide variety of other possibilities, too. One that comes to mind is the idea of a young, probably orphaned dwarf running into the wilderness to become a mighty warrior, and coming back when he reaches adulthood, with legendary- or master-level combat skills and an artifact weapon or armor or something. Or maybe an imaginative dwarf goes off hunting a legend. A third possibility is hat some strange force compels the dwarf to leave his home, and then uses the dwarf as a host; the dwarf reappears, possibly disguised, in a later migrant wave. The possibilities are limited only by our imagination.
Naturally, these dwarves might die or be captured along the way. Or maybe they get cursed or something, and are brought back, unconscious and changed somehow, by the next migrant wave.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:10 pm »

the dwarf reappears, possibly disguised, in a later migrant wave
do you think wearing nothing but a stack of capes and mittens might be a suitable disguise?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6