Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My giant raven is laying eggs.  (Read 10048 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My giant raven is laying eggs.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:29 am »

Name it Snuggly, and leave fuzzy and warm items in its nest box. It'll give you Titani- er, Cotton Candy Chunks

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:23 am »

A word of caution: since the Giant variation removes the [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], etc tags, the creature won't be able to successfully breed. IIRC.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:16 am »

A word of caution: since the Giant variation removes the [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], etc tags, the creature won't be able to successfully breed. IIRC.

My impression was that if it is nest-boxing and has CHILD tags, it can breed. This might a chance to prove me wrong though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:35 am »

...Camels are even worse. ...

Worse, eh? Camel vs 12 hunting dogs, 3 melee dwarves, and 3 marksdwarves:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The camel won.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:48:18 am »

Wild ravens will still spore a tame raven.  Just supply many nest boxes and wait for some wild ones to come by.  Any hatchlings will be tame, because the mother is.  It just depends on if your biome supports giant ravens, then it's only a matter of waiting for a flock murder to pass by...
Hate to be that guy (again), but this one's important.

A murder is crows, a group of ravens is collectively referred to as an "unkindness".
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 08:24:13 am »

Whoever came up with those names does not like birds.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:48 am »

Horses are not trainable by vanilla. This makes me sad. On the other hand, could you imagine the sieges?

Urist: Ma'am! Invaders sighted to the north and east! Mounted!
Cog: Did they bring the jabberers again? Our tanners aren't yet finished with the last batch.
Urist: No ma'am! Horses!
Cog: ...Raise the drawbridge.

Yeah, this.

Bear vs Horse: Horse wins. Every. Freaken.Time. Lion, tigers, cave horror, vampire, were-whatevers, aligators, crocs, undead aligators and crocs, ect. Camels are even worse. I fully expect someone to make Giant Horses soon, and somehow shove them down into the Ring Top to torment the dwarves who dared to find the clowns.

Camels are larger than Minotaurs. Yay camels!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:36:18 am »

And I just got a breeding pair of black bears.
From the title and this line I thought the eggs had hatched into black bears.  Disappointed again  :(

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:26 am »

Wild ravens will still spore a tame raven.  Just supply many nest boxes and wait for some wild ones to come by.  Any hatchlings will be tame, because the mother is.  It just depends on if your biome supports giant ravens, then it's only a matter of waiting for a flock murder to pass by...

A murder is crows, a group of ravens is collectively referred to as an "unkindness".
Ravens are crows. An unkindness of ravens is also a murder of crows. That's 'cause the Crow is the Family Corvidae while the Raven is the Species. For a moment of heartwarming, Magpies (also from the family of Crows) are Tidings. So it's comes from the Unkindness of the Ravens to upset the Crow family, leading to a murder of Crows. Since it's a family, the kind Magpies come with tidings. Neat thing I just thought.

Google magic, my friend.

EDIT: Adendum: Brazillian portuguese doesn't have a word distinguishing Crows from Ravens (they're all Crows, or Corvos). We have a word for Magpie (Pega-Rabuda), and they're all from the family Corvidae. Also, there's no such thing as "Murder of Crows". All groups of birds are flocks. Little culture for you folks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:58:41 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:10 am »

Ravens are crows. An unkindness of ravens is also a murder of crows. That's 'cause the Crow is the Family Corvidae while the Raven is the Species. For a moment of heartwarming, Magpies (also from the family of Crows) are Tidings. So it's comes from the Unkindness of the Ravens to upset the Crow family, leading to a murder of Crows. Since it's a family, the kind Magpies come with tidings. Neat thing I just thought.

Google magic, my friend.

EDIT: Adendum: Brazillian portuguese doesn't have a word distinguishing Crows from Ravens (they're all Crows, or Corvos). We have a word for Magpie (Pega-Rabuda), and they're all from the family Corvidae. Also, there's no such thing as "Murder of Crows". All birds are flocks. Little culture for you folks!
Interesting. So, from what you say, I can satisfy my desires for a pet crow and a pet raven in one fell swoop!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:59 am »

Or a "conspiracy".
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:27 am »

Google magic, my friend.

EDIT: Adendum: Brazillian portuguese doesn't have a word distinguishing Crows from Ravens (they're all Crows, or Corvos). We have a word for Magpie (Pega-Rabuda), and they're all from the family Corvidae. Also, there's no such thing as "Murder of Crows". All groups of birds are flocks. Little culture for you folks!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

True, but ... not quite correct! While both crows and ravens are in the same family, the Corvidae, as are magpies, that doesn't make them the same thing. Both crows and ravens are genus Corvus, but almost everything that's named "Raven" is more closely related, evolutionarily, to other things named "Raven" than to the things named "Crow". Ravens tend to be bigger with proportionately heavier bills. So, we English speakers have taken the words to distinguish between the two types, even if other speakers have not.

And while flock may work for "any bird", it's not like the English didn't say "murder of crows". The phrase may be archaic, but it does exist.

: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

Interesting. So, from what you say, I can satisfy my desires for a pet crow and a pet raven in one fell swoop!

I see what you did there - even if you don't.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:29 am »

Google magic, my friend.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

True, but ... not quite correct! While both crows and ravens are in the same family, the Corvidae, as are magpies, that doesn't make them the same thing. Both crows and ravens are genus Corvus, but almost everything that's named "Raven" is more closely related, evolutionarily, to other things named "Raven" than to the things named "Crow". Ravens tend to be bigger with proportionately heavier bills. So, we English speakers have taken the words to distinguish between the two types, even if other speakers have not.

And while flock may work for "any bird", it's not like the English didn't say "murder of crows". The phrase may be archaic, but it does exist.

I was clearly missunderstood, sorry. There's no such thing as murder of crows in portuguese. All groups of birds, in portuguese, are called flocks. As to the crow, that's correct. There's an animal called crow that's also a crow. It's like calling a dwarf Urist™ and another dwarf Dwarf™

Btw, of course I knew all that. I was testing you :P

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 11:22:38 am »

I see what you did there - even if you don't.

I saw it. I was debating whether to point it out myself, but I decided it wasn't funny enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3