Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My giant raven is laying eggs.  (Read 10041 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
My giant raven is laying eggs.
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:23 pm »

And I just got a breeding pair of black bears.

Mwaahahahahaha.

(strange thing is I don't have any other tame ravens, so I have no idea where the giant raven's getting any...)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My giant raven is laying eggs.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »

Migrant ravens?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »

Could be wild giant ravens wandering by. They reproduce by spores, after all.

You're getting chicks, right? 'Cause they'll lay eggs by default; chicks only hatch if there's a male around to fertilize them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »

Hrm, that could be bad. She claimed an open next box which was promptly egg raided by jobless dwarves. I stuck her in a closed room with another next box... hope the miracle happens twice.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:48 pm »

Female birds will lay eggs even if there are no males anywhere nearby.  They just never hatch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

Someone doesn't know how chicken eggs work~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »

My dreams, shattered~

The fun has been halved.

Oh well, I can maybe get a male from the elves someday. I can dream.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:48 pm »

Wild ravens will still spore a tame raven.  Just supply many nest boxes and wait for some wild ones to come by.  Any hatchlings will be tame, because the mother is.  It just depends on if your biome supports giant ravens, then it's only a matter of waiting for a flock murder to pass by...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »

Aaaaaand a flock of 3 giant ravens flew by.

2 died to weapon traps.

One's hovering aimlessly over my ocean.

Male.

Nest box claimed.

/cross fingers

Anywho the main reason I made this topic was I didn't think giant creatures bred normally. This is Good News, as I may hold off for giant black bears or something awesome like that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »

Get giant black bears and regular black bears.  Unleash the regular on the goblins.  Unleash the giants when they're already beaten and low morale.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:47 pm »

Grizzlies are disappointingly small. You'd be better off with war donkeys. I say grizzlies because black bears are apparently not trainable. And also smaller than reindeer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:23 pm »

Won't somebody think of the badgers!?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:43 pm »

Any hoofed animal come pre-equiped with warhammers, making them rather dangerous.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »

Horses are not trainable by vanilla. This makes me sad. On the other hand, could you imagine the sieges?

Urist: Ma'am! Invaders sighted to the north and east! Mounted!
Cog: Did they bring the jabberers again? Our tanners aren't yet finished with the last batch.
Urist: No ma'am! Horses!
Cog: ...Raise the drawbridge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:53 am »

Horses are not trainable by vanilla. This makes me sad. On the other hand, could you imagine the sieges?

Urist: Ma'am! Invaders sighted to the north and east! Mounted!
Cog: Did they bring the jabberers again? Our tanners aren't yet finished with the last batch.
Urist: No ma'am! Horses!
Cog: ...Raise the drawbridge.

Yeah, this.

Bear vs Horse: Horse wins. Every. Freaken.Time. Lion, tigers, cave horror, vampire, were-whatevers, aligators, crocs, undead aligators and crocs, ect. Camels are even worse. I fully expect someone to make Giant Horses soon, and somehow shove them down into the Ring Top to torment the dwarves who dared to find the clowns.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.
Pages: [1] 2 3