Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone stacks are to huge  (Read 3141 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Bone stacks are to huge
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »

Not sure it's a bug but I'll ask anyway... is it normal that a stack of 18 floating bone rib clog up a craftdwarf workshop every time he try to make some bolts out of them? the dwarf get stuck at the workshop and start getting thirsty, sleepy and hungry from doing nothing since it's clogged up...

Is there any way to slip up bone stacks to solve this problem?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone stacks are to huge
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

Forbid large stacks of bones, let your bonecarver get some experience on smaller stacks
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:41 pm »

Get Urist McSlowpoke on the job and enjoy the agility gains. If none of your dwarves are able to use those stacks for production, you might as well use them for stat gaining.

Meanwhile, butcher some smaller animals and let your real bonecarvers work on those. You're aiming for no clutter at all, since even the least level of clutter doubles production time.

It might be possible to split the stacks up at the depot, but I don't think that would make the individual bones any less workshop-cluttering.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:38 am »

The massive clutter issue is a well known bug.

My advice: build several workshops, assign extra bonecarvers, stick bone processing on repeat and forget you ever had a problem. They get done eventually.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:29:00 am »

The massive clutter issue is a well known bug.

My advice: build several workshops, assign extra bonecarvers, stick bone processing on repeat and forget you ever had a problem. They get done eventually.

Agreed. If your getting too much clutter recruit more bonecarvers/build more workshops.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:40 am »

Get Urist McSlowpoke on the job and enjoy the agility gains. If none of your dwarves are able to use those stacks for production, you might as well use them for stat gaining.

Meanwhile, butcher some smaller animals and let your real bonecarvers work on those. You're aiming for no clutter at all, since even the least level of clutter doubles production time.

It might be possible to split the stacks up at the depot, but I don't think that would make the individual bones any less workshop-cluttering.
I'll get on the job right away baws! Carvin bones all day, carvin bones all night, carve all the bones I will. :P Slowly...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:27 am »

*too

Sorry, it's just...

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:46 am »

Ok so it's actually possible to still carve it even at the worst cluttering point. Better butcher some small animals then :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

Yeah, it's just that at the maximum level of clutter (bright purple with a masterwork symbol) production takes 10 times as long as no clutter. An amazingly agile Legendary+5 would be able to work with moderate speed, but those aren't common.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:40 am »

I think stack size contributes to clutter.  I think if toady were to address workshop clutter, it could be done easily (and in a balanced fashion IMO) by making only finished goods that haven't been stockpiled contribute to clutter, and the current job unaffected by the materials of that job.  This would be a boost to bone-carving and butchering mostly, and you would still have to promptly stockpile things to keep everything moving.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Silent_E

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:42:28 am »

Yeah... it's really fun when you get a stack of 62 bones from butchering an elephant.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:13 pm »

It's not stack size. It's animal size.

IIRC, I found this out by butchering giraffe left lower legs. A single giraffe bone will super-clutter a workshop.

The stack issue is (and again, this has been a while), a stack of 18 bones and a stack of 1 bone both produce 5 bolts.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »

Bolts are produced 5 per bone.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »

It's not stack size. It's animal size.

IIRC, I found this out by butchering giraffe left lower legs. A single giraffe bone will super-clutter a workshop.

The stack issue is (and again, this has been a while), a stack of 18 bones and a stack of 1 bone both produce 5 bolts.

First point - good point. Second point - i'm not sure on this one. I thought it got fixed along the way somewhere. I'm pretty sure the huge stacks of 50+ elephant bones i had were producing a large number of bolts, and i seem to recall the bone stacks diminishing slowly in size. Could be wrong though. I don't think, however, that all 50 bones are processed at once into 250 bolts in one job. Pretty sure that was fixed.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »

A stack of 18 bones produces 5 bolts AND a stack of 17 bones.

Only decoration jobs consume whole stack.
(not sure about bone armor jobs)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: [1] 2