Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition  (Read 21326 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

Really, people.

"I don't like this feature."

"You can very easily turn it off without affecting anything else."

"I don't like this feature!"

???

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 11:00:26 am »

Well yeah, vampires ARE annoying to deal with, though in my eyes it's just another layer of potential Fun. It is also why i added a Magmadunk-inator to my fort, because while vamps can survive hammerings, they can't deal with magma. Sure, they may be the friends of half the fort, but it still causes less unhappiness in the long run. Plus, if i manage to kill all dorf vampires in the world with one fort, i call achievement. :P
Also, as the magma pool fills up with ghosts, the execution gets progressively more horrible. Imagine the few seconds you wouldn't die while submerged in magma. Super painful. Now imagine them while also being haunted by 8 vampire ghosts at the same time. Super painful and rather frightening, because now you know just where all those other vampires went. Plus, they go up in a puff of smoke, which is kind of fitting for a vampire.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:53 am »

I haven't found patrols to work at all. Does setting vampires to zero in worldgen work? They don't get generated during play at all?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 11:08:55 am »

I haven't found patrols to work at all. Does setting vampires to zero in worldgen work? They don't get generated during play at all?

Yes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:34 am »

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:54:56 pm by Taffer »

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:14 am »

I can agree with the fact that it might be annoying if you don't keep them in mind.

In all fortresses I skill up several individuals, like a legendary brewer, legendary cook etc. These dwarves do not exist anymore.. atleast not with blood in them..
So for skilling up individuals it can be a tad frustrating. (not personally, as I figured out vampires would prefer legendary snacks, but still my vampires ate about 1/2 of my military)

World generation is a big big factor here.
Fortresses with a lot of action often don't have the 'time' to age up dwarves and let them become vampires.
For these you'll only get a vampire once a while.

In my current world, where every civilization has a vampire ruler and my embarked civilization even has a 700 years old goblin general, there's probably 1 vampire in 10 dwarves.

Turn down vampire curses and you'll also get a lot less vampires.

So I'm a person from both sides of the story.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:47 am »

I sympathize with your desire for a more predictable fort, but personally do not agree with you. I rather enjoy the process of figuring out vampires, of ramping up vampire detection methods until you either make life hell initially for all migrants, replace all walls with glass and have the military watching at all times, or learn to embrace having murders every once in a while.

So, just take the advice given and set vamps to 0 in worldgen.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 11:24:45 am »

Really, people.

"I don't like this feature."

"You can very easily turn it off without affecting anything else."

"I don't like this feature!"

???
You still cannot turn it of in an already genned world. :(
But you have a point.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:58 am »

Set vampires to 0 in worldgen parameters.

Problem solved.
Still one problem. Some do not know how to fiddle with the other parameters. Like mineral scarsity.

Edit: I do know how to do this myself.

... and, if problem is vampires, why anyone should do anything to other parameters? Just set vampires to 0.

And if you want do something with parameters, learn to do it. It's perfectly same thing with any other game. If you want to do something, you have to learn. No one is deleting sometihng you don't like just because you don't want learn how to do it by yourself.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

Within about ten minutes a veteran player will have a fortress set up that with the pull of a lever is completely and 100% protected from the woes of the world with everyone living in a big happy dorf-utopia. I personally think it's a big improvement that there are a few threats that strike from within. I also like the fact that they put the Justice system to work. As a rule if you ever use your jails or hammerer it's because your fortress is badly broken and punishing people is probably just going to create a tantrum spiral.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 11:30:29 am »

Set vampires to 0 in worldgen parameters.

Problem solved.
Still one problem. Some do not know how to fiddle with the other parameters. Like mineral scarsity.

Edit: I do know how to do this myself.

... and, if problem is vampires, why anyone should do anything to other parameters? Just set vampires to 0.

And if you want do something with parameters, learn to do it. It's perfectly same thing with any other game. If you want to do something, you have to learn. No one is deleting sometihng you don't like just because you don't want learn how to do it by yourself.
For example, people used to the normal generator do not initially know how to change civ number, savagery, beast numbers or mineral scarcity. Adding a vampires option in the standard generator would solve the issues.

Besides, I saw this tread as a "why I dislike this feature" and not a "how do I remove this feature" thing.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:44 am »

---snip---

Well, it's fine to dislike a new feature. OTOH that new feature is pretty easily disabled, so the minority of people who dislike it have already been taken care of, at least insofar as that they can turn it off.

Maybe a more productive use of the thread than simply voicing a complaint/dislike would be to discuss how the feature could be improved?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:43:32 am by Lord Dullard »

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:49 am »

I know lots of people like them, but I think the addition of vampires has made DF less fun. Mysterious deaths that were impossible to prevent aren't fun.  Going through every immigrant to look for clues that may or may not be there isn't fun. Finding the vampire, having it easily survive its sentence and go on killing isn't fun. Elaborate schemes for locking up a vampire forever isn't fun. 

The whole process feels more like a workaround for a bug than an interesting part of the game. Am I alone here?

I think you have a valid point, I don't think I completely agree with you.  However, people who respond with "just switch it off if you don't like it" are missing the chance to discuss the issue.

Unexpected death with no way to respond is not really a feature of a game - you might as well embark with 6 dwarves instead of 7 - its on a par with that level of interaction.

Putting aside the death without warning issue, I've had !fun! with other aspects of vampires
 (an unequiped vampire singlehandedly [and now she only has 1 arm] saved me after a megabeast took out my fledgling militia. Shes a thirsty lonely legendary wrestler now)

Perhaps soon the Lazy Newb Pack or similar launcher will have an option for no vampires for the sake of those who don't do text files
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:58:24 am by Kibstable »

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:36 am »

I also don't like vampires, but for another reasons altogether. I simply find the concept of vampire dwarf too ridiculous. But it's extremely easy to generate a world without them, so I don't complain. Now if there was the same option for animalmen spam in worldgen :(

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 11:54:32 am »

vampires are an awesome addition. Sure they may be annoying but now you can make your entire fortress have no needs without cheating !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9