Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition  (Read 21321 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:55 am »

I know lots of people like them, but I think the addition of vampires has made DF less fun. Mysterious deaths that were impossible to prevent aren't fun.  Going through every immigrant to look for clues that may or may not be there isn't fun. Finding the vampire, having it easily survive its sentence and go on killing isn't fun. Elaborate schemes for locking up a vampire forever isn't fun. 

The whole process feels more like a workaround for a bug than an interesting part of the game. Am I alone here?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:18:41 am »

You can prevent it.

Use either communal bedrooms or add windows to your bedrooms. Then have soldiers patrol the area.

Or have your migrants thrown in a dunk tank. Vampires won't freak out because they can't drown.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:32 am »

I feel Toady should change so Vampires only attack worthless migrants. It is more realistic that they prey on the less important citisens (and NOT the legendary 5+ Armorsmiths) and it is less rage-inducing.

You can prevent it.

Use either communal bedrooms or add windows to your bedrooms. Then have soldiers patrol the area.

Or have your migrants thrown in a dunk tank. Vampires won't freak out because they can't drown.
They still kill your smiths, and the soldiers won't retaliate.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:29 am »

I feel Toady should change so Vampires only attack worthless migrants. It is more realistic that they prey on the less important citisens (and NOT the legendary 5+ Armorsmiths) and it is less rage-inducing.

You can prevent it.

They still kill your smiths, and the soldiers won't retaliate.

Quarantine the vamps after you find out. Lock them in a room with a hauler or something so that as soon as they feed, you can mark them or punishment.

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:16 am »

Set vampires to 0 in worldgen parameters.

Problem solved.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:06 am »

Problem solved.
Still one problem. Some do not know how to fiddle with the other parameters. Like mineral scarsity.

Edit: I do know how to do this myself.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:19:41 am by Blizzlord »
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:11 am »

The whole process feels more like a workaround for a bug than an interesting part of the game. Am I alone here?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

Your point being?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:25 am »

Patrols are the best way to deal with it. Vampires are a hassle to the game that adds some difficulty to the process of maintaining a fortress.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:50 am »

Problem solved.
Still one problem. Some do not know how to fiddle with the other parameters. Like mineral scarsity.
If you don't know how to scroll down the main menu to advanced worldgen, read the line for the 'edit parameters' hotkey, and scroll down the list of parameters until you see 'vampire' and hit enter twice (or look up how to do so on the wiki), that's really your own fault, isn't it?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:28 am »

Can't take the heat elf? :P
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:45 am »

I do feel the punishments don't do enough to a vampire.
Worship!

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:36 am »

I do feel the punishments don't do enough to a vampire.

Solution: Make your own punishments.

Step 1: Recruit a hammerdwarf into your military, in a squad by himself.
Step 2 (Part 1): Train the hammerdwarf up to high combat skills.
Step 2 (Part 2): Dig a large pit, with large food/booze stockpiles, with the only entrances through a raising bridge linked to a lever outside the pit, and a hole in the roof. Perhaps a workshop of some sort, with a corresponding stockpile/quantum dump, bed, meeting area suitable for one dwarf.
Step 3: Lock said hammerdwarf in the pit by himself, and set him to inactive.
Step 4: Drop vampires into pit, activate hammerdwarf, target crippled vampire.
Step 5: BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!
Step 6: Set to inactive when finished, and prepare for new vampire.

WARNING: This may result in said hammerdwarf becoming a traitor, setting off a loyalty cascade. As long as there is no way in apart from the hole and the locked bridge, no problems should occur.

WARNING May result in death for hammerdwarf.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

Your point being?

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

I don't know about you guys but I find vampires to be great, vamp any dwarf who is important/trained up physically, have a living and dead side of the fortress, eventually you no longer have children to use up your population and all your dwarves are really strong and don't need to eat/sleep/drink. However I am not really playing df till slabs get fixed/improved so embarking on an evil biome isn't ridiculously tedious.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9