Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191912 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #855 on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:13 am »

I've never liked enforced multiplayer. E.G. You require X, Y, Z, and W, but can only do one of those things, and therefore must rely on other players for the others.
I don't see how that applies at all here...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 10, 2013, 11:52:59 am »

I've never liked enforced multiplayer. E.G. You require X, Y, Z, and W, but can only do one of those things, and therefore must rely on other players for the others.
There is a lot of well intentioned but misguided speculation about this game in general and particularly in this thread. Playing the game for an hour is like peeling one layer of an onion. Playing until your first city fails is another. Playing in your first multiplayer region is another. First multi fail yet another. First successful city. First time helping your entire region. First time playing as all cities in a region. First time losing a successful city to a series of disasters. First time Re-structuring your city with a massive public works project. First major work project(Space program, Solar farm, Arcology, etc) and many more.
At 5 hours in I thought the game was simple. At 10 hours I thought I had it mastered. At 15 hours I thought it was buggy. At 20 hours I thought it was brilliant. At 25 hours I find the game to be amazing and will be a on again, off again game I keep installed for years. Your experience may vary, but I promise you, what everyone thinks they know about this game is almost certainly wrong.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #857 on: March 10, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »

...At 25 hours I find the game to be amazing and will be a on again, off again game I keep installed for years...

For 3 years, then the servers get shut down.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 10, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »

There is a lot of well intentioned but misguided speculation about this game in general and particularly in this thread. Playing the game for an hour is like peeling one layer of an onion. Playing until your first city fails is another. Playing in your first multiplayer region is another. First multi fail yet another. First successful city. First time helping your entire region. First time playing as all cities in a region. First time losing a successful city to a series of disasters. First time Re-structuring your city with a massive public works project. First major work project(Space program, Solar farm, Arcology, etc) and many more.
At 5 hours in I thought the game was simple. At 10 hours I thought I had it mastered. At 15 hours I thought it was buggy. At 20 hours I thought it was brilliant. At 25 hours I find the game to be amazing and will be a on again, off again game I keep installed for years. Your experience may vary, but I promise you, what everyone thinks they know about this game is almost certainly wrong.

+1

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:42 pm »

...At 25 hours I find the game to be amazing and will be a on again, off again game I keep installed for years...

For 3 years, then the servers get shut down.
...unless crackers manage to create server emulators to bypass the DRM. They are currently working on it. ETA: "several weeks".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »

Come on, people. I totally get the hate for the online DRM, but blurting out stuff like the servers being shut down in three years is quite the exaggeration. If it ever came to that, the company would patch the game so that the servers aren't necessary to play. Maybe they'd implement another form of DRM, or not, but they wouldn't take a huge dump on the hundreds of thousands that bought the thing and kill everyone's ability to play it. That'd just be a PR suicide. Come on.

Some people really seem to think certain game companies are truly, consciously and deliberately out to screw over their own customers. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 10, 2013, 01:23:24 pm »

If it ever came to that, the company would patch the game so that the servers aren't necessary to play.

I hear that but they are not required to support the game in three years. Mind you 3 years isn't realistic. It is more like 5 or 6

That'd just be a PR suicide

Quite the opposite, it would bring more attention to their functional excellent games as well as to their next game Simcity 6
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:00:02 pm by Neonivek »

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »

Frustrating experience today.

I have an hour to play, but I can't get on the server with my game. So I'll start a new region.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 10, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »

There are 3 or 4 people in this thread that bash the game and none of them own it. Such a polarizing game.

Even with all of the issues with launch, I don't regret the purchase. I am certain I will burn out on the game soon, and take a break, but it's been great to me and the dozen others here who have bought and played it.

I don't own it, but have played for several hours on a friend's account.  It's fundamentally broken and missing basic functionality, even once you put aside subjective opinion (mine being that it's crap) and the fact you have to get lucky to be allowed to play the damn thing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 10, 2013, 02:10:17 pm »

It is kinda proof that just because a game is fundementally broken and should have never been put on the market. It doesn't mean that it cannot get great reviews and lots of sales.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 10, 2013, 02:19:13 pm »

It is kinda proof that just because a game is fundementally broken and should have never been put on the market. It doesn't mean that it cannot get great reviews and lots of sales.
Wouldn't been the first time. But as far as I've heard, this appears to be a pretty nice game, and it's just EA screwing up the servers.Still wondered how they managed to do that.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 10, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »

I'm having a large garbage problem. It's severely taxing on my economy to keep large landfills even with several recycling centers and I can't afford to lose more desirability. Incinerators are off the table to boot as the city is squeaky clean and high-tech aside from minor air pollution from traffic and water pollution from the seaport.

Might be best to create a landfill slum as a neighbor. I hear other cities nearby could use one.

Meanwhile, I would like to slap the utility guy for repeatedly freaking out about the underfunded solar power plant. "I know it's underfunded, damn it! I made it so since we had an excess of power with no neighbors to sell it to. I can't afford to keep plants running on such a low money efficiency!"

Teachers are striking all the time while I save up money for more schools.
Hospitals are overcrowded so there's another future money sink. I half expect there to be a deadly outbreak of SARS or something before I get the necessary funds.
Traffic is starting to become a problem in Volcano Ville, might need to set up buses or subways.
There's also a small unemployment issue in the Airport community.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:33:05 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 10, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »

Wouldn't been the first time. But as far as I've heard, this appears to be a pretty nice game, and it's just EA screwing up the servers.Still wondered how they managed to do that.

It is because for the most part if you can look past the bugs a game that is fun would likely be considered a good game anyway inspite of the bugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #868 on: March 10, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Isn't that shot from Simcity 4?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »

Yeah. Feels good to still have it after a decade or so.

And yes, I figured I could mini-hijack the thread for the predecessor as well. :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98