Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191910 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:37 am »

There are 3 or 4 people in this thread that bash the game and none of them own it. Such a polarizing game.

Even with all of the issues with launch, I don't regret the purchase. I am certain I will burn out on the game soon, and take a break, but it's been great to me and the dozen others here who have bought and played it.

I believe you are counting me among this number, and I have played and technically owned the game (the Dev Beta). Which, unless I'm mistaken is pretty much what was released anyway save for some minor UI improvements when zoning.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 10, 2013, 04:50:08 am »

Whistle blowing at EA.

Are we really going to buy into 'anonymous open letters' again? I thought we learned the silliness of that with the 'anonymous Bioware employee' thing. It's almost as if we're on some sort of global network where anybody can claim to be anyone with absolutely no proof, and spout off false information under the guise of 'insider' information when they're actually just a troll who happens to be literate.

I mean, come on. Are we really going to take 'a thread some guy made anonymously on Reddit claiming to be a Real Ass EA Employee' as a 100% totally legitimate and unquestionable source? Whistle blowing is certainly noble, but real whistle blowers don't blow the whistles to a bunch of random people on the internet with no proof but 'I said so, anonymously' -- and we're talking about a video game company, not a secret government project, I can't imagine hard proof would be terribly difficult to get if there was some kind of conspiracy to screw people rather than simply ineptitude at work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:54:32 am by Vel »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:01 am »

"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:28 am »

@Vel
I don't really think it matters whether he works for EA or not.
He does not claim anything that we don't already know, so his argument does not rely on him having inside knowledge.
But his points are still valid, no matter who makes them.

What we can confirm is this:
The sentiment in the letter is shared by many gamers, including most on this thread(even the ones that like the game)

Also that Forbes article is a shoddy piece of journalism, mainly that he is repeatedly calling someone anonymous "brave"...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 10, 2013, 06:16:41 am »

I did really want this game. I was even willing to pretend the always-online DRM wasn't there. But if the DRM is making the game difficult to access then its a no sale. Dammmmm I wanted more Sim City.

Plus If I wait untill there are less people playing the game for the DRM to become more stable, it also reduces the multiplayer/social aspects of the game, which actually sounded somewhat fun.

Sigh.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:24 am »

@Vel
I don't really think it matters whether he works for EA or not.
He does not claim anything that we don't already know, so his argument does not rely on him having inside knowledge.
But his points are still valid, no matter who makes them.

What we can confirm is this:
The sentiment in the letter is shared by many gamers, including most on this thread(even the ones that like the game)

Also that Forbes article is a shoddy piece of journalism, mainly that he is repeatedly calling someone anonymous "brave"...

My point was that, if there's absolutely no reason to believe that this is anything more than a piece written up by someone who either dislikes the game or wants to further encourage the flames against it, why is it being held up as some kind of justification, any more so than any of the vast array of other forum posts across the internet?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 10, 2013, 07:13:11 am »

Simply because it's well written! If this read "Omgz EA sux!!11" it would not be held in any regard.

Also: all big companies have disgruntled employees, it's just a matter of statistics.
EA is a big company, so it has disgruntled employees.

I find it much more likely that just one guy has the opinions expressed in the letter, rather than the other option:
Every single EA employee agrees with the companies course.

I find this unbelievable in any company, and even more so when we are talking about EA.

Ultimately the point is not whether some EA employee wrote a letter(with no inside information), the point is: What is EA doing, what are they doing wrong and what are we gonna do as consumers?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2013, 07:22:27 am »

Well, I played too much yesterday. And loved it. A few issues. My traffic congested severely at 150,000. But I did a redesign, which takes time and money, but things seemed to pan out.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 10, 2013, 07:23:07 am »

I think one of the keys is to ignore the industry meter. It is always on, but they always complain about their goods not selling, even with a trade depot.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 10, 2013, 07:24:33 am »

I am getting frustrated with the lack of workers...had a good little 20k city going and only about 1500 people were workers...whaaa?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:36 am »

Well, I'm still on the fence about buying this one. I dislike EA, but I'm not one of those fanatics who will instantly hate a game because it was published by EA. My fanaticism lies in other areas. :P

The server issues will be fixed. Anyone who has played an MMO at launch knows to be patient about these things. The simulation bugs should be fixed eventually as well. However, what I find most worrying, and very likely unredeemably WAD, is the tiny city plots. Beyond being quite restrictive, given buildable areas comprise actually half (or less) of the regional map, a fully developed region wouldn't look anything like this.

A full SimCity 5 region would be a series of small urbanized squares connected by roads which traverse large expanses of inexplicably virgin land, plus or minus one of those great project things. And that's not only grossly unrealistic in a game that's supposed to be anything but that: it's just plain ugly. :-\

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 10, 2013, 10:14:43 am »

A full SimCity 5 region would be a series of small urbanized squares connected by roads which traverse large expanses of inexplicably virgin land, plus or minus one of those great project things. And that's not only grossly unrealistic in a game that's supposed to be anything but that: it's just plain ugly. :-\

This is exactly why I am not going to buy this game. I don't care how awesome this game is, I am not going to play this abomination :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:56 am »

This is exactly why I am not going to buy this game. I don't care how awesome this game is, I am not going to play this abomination :P
::)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:39 am »

It is unfortunate. I would really mind the small plots quite a bit less if they were generally adjacent to each other.

The individual spots would still be tiny, sure, but I could form a large city combining them like a jigsaw puzzle (which is what you do in SimCity 4, ultimately).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:29 am »

I've never liked enforced multiplayer. E.G. You require X, Y, Z, and W, but can only do one of those things, and therefore must rely on other players for the others.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98