Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191715 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:46 am »

If I knew that there would be larger areas when the game ships, I'd buy it. This "future promise" sounds like DLC, which is ehhhh. I have to say, the fact that TotalBiscuit was successfully able to suck and have financial problems is actually rather encouraging though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:50 am »

If I knew that there would be larger areas when the game ships, I'd buy it. This "future promise" sounds like DLC, which is ehhhh. I have to say, the fact that TotalBiscuit was successfully able to suck and have financial problems is actually rather encouraging though.
From what I saw in my playthrough, the game is not exactly easy. It starts off simple enough but as you get more sims, more complexity is introduced.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2013, 07:38:27 am »

I'll be playing the unlocked version, where they probably fixed the city size by changing a number in a txt file.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:52 am »

But isn't it an always-online game...?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2013, 07:55:19 am »

There will be cracks. No matter what. It's really just a matter of time. I for one probably wouldn't be satisfied with a cracked copy, because I'd like to play online with friends.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2013, 07:56:57 am »

There will be cracks. No matter what. It's really just a matter of time. I for one probably wouldn't be satisfied with a cracked copy, because I'd like to play online with friends.
Same here. half the reason I'm buying this is to play with friends. Three of us already have plans to start the largest region available when it comes out tomorrow and found cities there.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:52 am »

There are not likely to be fully functional cracks as they offloaded certain simulations to their servers(like Diablo 3's monster spawns).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:07 am »

Like all those fully functioning cracks that exist for Diablo 3?

Ninja'd :(
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:45 am »

I'll be playing the unlocked version, where they probably fixed the city size by changing a number in a txt file.
I doubt it could be QUITE that simple, considering the fixed terrain (a height/texture map? Stored server-side, even?) and fixed mass transit (IE railroads and highways). That said, it is very strange that it might take a long time for Ocean Quigley The Greatest Name In Gaming You Heard Of Just Now or whatever to create regions which support larger cities, with a simple tooltip that says "Hey bro you should need more than 3GB of RAM to use this area!"

Edit:

Like all those fully functioning cracks that exist for Diablo 3?

Ninja'd :(
I was going to check out the pirate bay for research, but it seems to be down.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2013, 08:04:46 am »

I don't know, having some core game feature server-side could block cracks for good... o_O

Double ninja.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:56 am »

I don't know, having some core game feature server-side could block cracks for good... o_O

Double ninja.
Why that edit-meta-ninja! Anyway I saw a video of some guy playing one of the earlier betas pull out his ethernet cable and keep running the game for 20 minutes before a tooltip came up and forced him to stop. Evidence!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:46 am »

I watched TB's stream and wept silently.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

Double ninja.
Why that edit-meta-ninja! Anyway I saw a video of some guy playing one of the earlier betas pull out his ethernet cable and keep running the game for 20 minutes before a tooltip came up and forced him to stop. Evidence!

I don't think it forced him to stop, just kept reminding him with a popup. Maybe I misunderstood.

Also: Supposedly these are the systems modeled on their servers according to their Creative Director "The larger environment that cities live in, and the global markets that they are participating in are all being simulated on Maxis' servers. We're running the underlying simulations that enable cities to transform their regions, to interact with each other, and to move markets. We're tracking the accomplishments of cities and their effect on each other and the larger world. "
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:31:50 am by hemmingjay »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 04, 2013, 01:02:16 pm »

New post for new topic.

I can't defend this game right now. It's EXTREMELY limited in terms of what you can accomplish. The small city size, a LOT of bugs and some weird decisions are seriously making me consider the possibility that they intentionally handicapped the game in an order to sell you a lot of microtransaction and DLC crap. It's not a terrible game, it just seems like there is no obvious reason limiting it other than making you pay to fix it. I hope I am wrong and I hope they fix this for free.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 04, 2013, 01:03:22 pm »

New post for new topic.

I can't defend this game right now. It's EXTREMELY limited in terms of what you can accomplish. The small city size, a LOT of bugs and some weird decisions are seriously making me consider the possibility that they intentionally handicapped the game in an order to sell you a lot of microtransaction and DLC crap. It's not a terrible game, it just seems like there is no obvious reason limiting it other than making you pay to fix it. I hope I am wrong and I hope they fix this for free.

+1

Mass effect 3 all over...required DLC to fix shit that never should have needed fixing.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 98