Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245379 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10665 on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:13 pm »

I dunno about Satan, but the Antichrist seems like a real bro.

The anti-christ in Good Omens sure seemed like one.
Wasn't he just a kid who wad no idea what was going on until the very end?

Pretty much, but he managed to drop loads of wisdom at the same time.  More than any other character in the book.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »

I don't think this counts as Satanism but, I have recently become convinced that Christianity makes much more sense if Satan is the antagonistic, worldly, bloodthirsty "god" of most of the Old Testament.
So I guess it's the opposite of Satanism because I really wouldn't like that guy.

But yeah victory for religious freedom wooo :D

Sounds a bit gnostic, if the demiurge was the devil.
Love, scriver~

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:40 pm »

The best interpretation of OT and NT "God" is that It is in fact the collective human consciousness, as proposed by myself.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: July 26, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »

Sounds a bit gnostic, if the demiurge was the devil.
Yeah what got me thinking about this was the Cathars, but the idea was around before them in various gnostic sects.  I mean heresies ::)
The Cathars specifically did believe the demiurge is Satan, and Earth is Hell.  Also that human souls are angels trapped by Satan in meat bodies.  I wouldn't actually agree with a lot of that, but it does seem pretty consistent.
(Also there's a nice religion and spirituality discussion thread, it's very polite)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: July 26, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »

The best interpretation of OT and NT "God" is that It is in fact the collective human consciousness, as proposed by myself.

Do you mean collective unconscious? I think that makes more sense in context.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: July 30, 2015, 10:20:45 am »

http://fusion.net/video/173969/why-is-the-army-making-this-man-wear-a-womens-uniform/?utm_campaign=awjr&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

"Transgender Americans are twice as likely to serve in the military than the general population, according to The National Transgender Discrimination Survey published in 2011 by the gay rights organization The National LGBTQ Task Force."

"At least 18 countries allow transgender service members to serve openly, including some of the United States’ closest allies: England, Canada, France, Israel and Australia."

“These people have selflessly signed up to give their lives in defense of others,” said Sgt. Shane Ortega, a helicopter crew chief in the Army’s 25th Infantry Division."

"Sgt. Ortega has served in two combat tours to Iraq and one tour to Afghanistan. He entered the service as woman and today he identifies as a man."

He’s been assigned to desk duty since a medical exam found he had high levels of testosterone. Because of outdated military policies the Army still sees him as a woman and makes him wear a woman’s “dress blues” for official occasions.

He has been barred from flight duties because the Defense Department’s medical standards declare transgender people to have a “psychosexual condition” and boxes them in with voyeurists and exhibitionists."

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: July 30, 2015, 10:22:39 am »

Why would an exhibitionist be unfit to pilot a plane?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:52 am »

He might expose himself to the enemy?
Taste my Paci-Fist

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:43 am »

As long as he can pilot at the same time it sounds like an advantage to me.

This is pretty obviously stupid though.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:25 am »

Why would an exhibitionist be unfit to pilot a plane?
My thoughts too. How is a "psychosexual condition" (which I guess means some sort of tendency towards sexual deviancy) going to impact anyone's ability to fly a plane?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: July 30, 2015, 11:35:00 am »

As long as he can pilot at the same time it sounds like an advantage to me.

This is pretty obviously stupid though.
I wasn't being serious. This would have probably been a better joke if state secrets or stealth somehow were involved.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:27 am »

My thoughts too. How is a "psychosexual condition" (which I guess means some sort of tendency towards sexual deviancy) going to impact anyone's ability to fly a plane?
Conceptually, the problem probably wouldn't be flying the plane, it would be all the other stuff surrounding it. There's a lot of other stuff involved in being a pilot, and even more in being a military pilot. You might have some problems if you've got an exhibitionist flapping around an aircraft carrier, ferex (exposure, if nothing else -- wind shear et al is a sumbitch).

... practically, it's mostly just jackasses being jackasses.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: July 30, 2015, 11:58:47 am »

Couldn't you just tell them not to do that? There's plenty of other things people do normally (that aren't even as illegal as exhibitionism) but manage not to do while on military duty.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »

See: Jackasses being jackasses. Some people can't grasp that concept, and would rather be a shit about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: July 30, 2015, 12:08:55 pm »

It seems that they would rather just not deal with what happens when the guy who loves showing his dick to everyone inevitably ignores them when they demand he stop showing his dick to everyone.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 759