Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273794 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10650 on: July 22, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »

Yeah that sounds like something a government institution could step in and handle.  Then the students wouldn't need refunds, they'd have usable degrees.  Still may be in debt, but they get what they signed up for (the degree, the debt).

I assumed the issue was students mid-degree.  Transferring credits can be... very lossy.  Probably more so if the previous school went bankrupt and can't verify anything.  Those students are shit out of luck through no fault of their own.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: July 26, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/satanic-temple-holds-public-sculpture-unveiling-detroit-173259288.html

I've been saying it. I've been saying it forever. The satanists are lining up for that "Religious Liberty" stuff. You can't call their religion banned. You just can't, because they're technically a religion.... They believe in a supernatural set of beings with roots in religious texts like the bible and other old texts like Milton's Paradise Lost. Moreover they have their own holy book, the satanic bible, and others. This is totally what happens. They are not only a religion. They are a religion with origins in the bible. They got 'em. There's no way around it man.

Naturally, the satanic statue is in Detroit. Where else?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: July 26, 2015, 03:18:22 pm »

... good for them? Last I checked most of the major satanist movements in the US are... well, they're healthier belief systems than a lot of the christian ones. There's worse groups to see making inroads of a sort, really. Could be prosperity gospel :V

They've been trying to get that statue up for a while, though, haven't they? Could have sworn I heard about that, like, years ago.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: July 26, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »

I just saw an interview on Fox about this!  I'd ignore the video title as it's a little unfair to the interviewer.  Though not entirely unwarranted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgeCG2e-6c

This is a great victory though.  Like the Satanist says, neither monument ought to be allowed.  They were only filing to have the same sort of monument as the Christians had...  Pretty much as a demonstration of the state's hypocrisy on the matter.  And it worked!  I don't know what exactly this particular group of Satanists believe (there are very different kinds) but I'm excited that they stood up for religious liberty, and succeeded.

Considering that he's a *Satanist* on Fox, I think the interview went pretty smoothly until the very end.  The second part, where she interviews an ex-senator, was cringeworthy fundie nonsense.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: July 26, 2015, 03:31:49 pm »

The Satanist Temple is more or less a religious-issue blocking group. In addition to using these statues to crash Christian monuments, they also officiated same-sex marriages back when it was illegal and have filed suit against all abortion limitation legislation on the basis that they violate the religious liberty of a Satanist woman to have abortion on demand, as pleases Satan.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: July 26, 2015, 03:38:03 pm »

Sounds really good tbh. They're fleshing out just how far and to what religious liberty extends.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: July 26, 2015, 04:17:35 pm »

How long has this been going on for? I remember it being brought up maybe a year ago.

Well, it's nice to remind people that their religion isn't the only one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: July 26, 2015, 04:29:42 pm »

It's not like these guys are actually worse than fundamentalist Christians. They just believe that God is an evil dictator and Satan the ultimate rebel, if I got that right.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #10658 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »

It varies. Some of them are just Atheists with a hell of a sense of humor.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:28 pm »

My understanding is the most basic common defining feature among Satanist beliefs is that they're all about self-actualization, critical thinking, and moral relativity, as opposed to the sacrifice,  unquestioning subservience, and rigid absolution that is Christianity... and I'm quite alright with that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:54 pm »

Me too.

I'm more Satanist than Christian, I suppose. I dislike God's neediness and desire for me to stroke his ego, and admire Satan's strength, along with feeling empathy for his punishment.

Edit: Not that I believe either exists, but meh.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:44:50 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: July 26, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »

I don't think this counts as Satanism but, I have recently become convinced that Christianity makes much more sense if Satan is the antagonistic, worldly, bloodthirsty "god" of most of the Old Testament.
So I guess it's the opposite of Satanism because I really wouldn't like that guy.

But yeah victory for religious freedom wooo :D
She/they

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: July 26, 2015, 05:52:58 pm »

I dunno about Satan, but the Antichrist seems like a real bro.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: July 26, 2015, 05:56:04 pm »

The anti-christ in Good Omens sure seemed like one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:08 pm »

The anti-christ in Good Omens sure seemed like one.
Wasn't he just a kid who wad no idea what was going on until the very end?
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 759