Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245346 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1395 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:07 pm »

Remember, the whole statutory thing, re: couples right on the arbitrary age line. They kinda' have outlawed it in some situations.
To what extent is this prevalent nowadays? I thought that the existence of an age of consent would prevent most "statutory rape" incidents.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:58 pm »

Remember, the whole statutory thing, re: couples right on the arbitrary age line. They kinda' have outlawed it in some situations.
To what extent is this prevalent nowadays? I thought that the existence of an age of consent would prevent most "statutory rape" incidents.
I'm not sure what your logic is on that. The age of consent is why statutory rape is a thing in the first place. In the US it ranges from 16-18 depending on the state, and that can obviously cause some problems.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: May 12, 2012, 06:43:57 pm »

So, then, would a 16 y/o be liable to get accused of statutory if he had sex with a 15 y/o girl, for instance?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »

Prevalence wise, I still hear of it popping up locally relatively commonly; you'll have a couple where they're a year or two apart in age, but one of them's below the age of consent line. Someone outside the relationship objects (usually the parents of one of the involved), the cops get called in, someone gets on the sexual offender's list for the rest of their life for trying to have a relationship with a peer.

So, then, would a 16 y/o be liable to get accused of statutory if he had sex with a 15 y/o girl, for instance?
If 16 is the age of consent, yes, providing someone was willing to call it in and the cops didn't tell 'em to screw off. Which happens. E: Though do note they don't actually have to have sex! That's one of the "fun" parts of it. They just have to be unable to prove they didn't (at least in the area I'm in... maybe other parts of the states are a bit more sane with this). Good luck with that~
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:50:57 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

If 16 is the age of consent, yes, providing someone was willing to call it in and the cops didn't tell 'em to screw off. Which happens.
Note that this can vary based upon location. Some districts have what are called "Romeo & Juliet laws", which nullify the age of consent for individuals close to one another in age.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 12, 2012, 06:52:17 pm »

Yeah, there's that. It's not a total universal clusterfuck situation, just... localized clusterfuck situation. It's pretty bloody ridiculous when it happens, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 13, 2012, 04:47:46 pm »

I have no clue what to think of my dad's political opinions. One minute he's calling Santorum a racist homophobe, and then the next second he's saying Romney was planned to win all along and Gingrich and Santorum were only there to draw attention away from Ron Paul.

Edit: JFK was assassinated because of his libertarian principles.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:51:55 pm by penguinofhonor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 13, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »

I'm sorry penguin, but your father is a Paulite.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 13, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

Yes. That he is.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »

(Eh, seeing as we're slinking onto the second page...).

http://news.yahoo.com/protesters-ex-student-convicted-rutgers-webcam-case-does-173702307.html

He had the option of no jail time and turned it down. Buyer's remorse with the turning down the plea.... Drove room mate to suicide.... [sigh].

Nobody listens to the lawyer when they're like "take the plea agreement."
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:40 pm »

Even so, this is a particularly egregious case of not listening to one's lawyer.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »

Pfft. What do you need those for? :) Law follows common sense!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »

Pfft. What do you need those for? :) Law follows common sense!

You have no idea how hard I laughed at that.... I couldn't breathe! The cat was startled.... Thank you! :P
(Not laughing at you, honestly. I'm just so glad somebody gets it. Too many say this straight).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:35:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »

See, he thought he could lose and get no jail time, or win and get no jail time. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me. Everyone likes winning.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 14, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »

Except he had no reason to think that he'd win. They practically told him beforehand that he was going to lose.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 759