Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274539 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:39 pm »

Guess we just have to wait for someone to try and get thier medical insurance to pay for condoms and see what kind of shit hits the USA's media fan.

BTW the NHS will give them away for free to people too...
This is a blank sig.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »

Can we just give Arizona back to Mexico?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:12 pm »

The funny thing is that condoms basically have no use other than sex (well, I guess you could make water balloons out of them...), while "the pill" can be used for valid medical purposes. Guess which one has the greatest stigma attached?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:53 pm »

The funny thing is that condoms basically have no use other than sex (well, I guess you could make water balloons out of them...), while "the pill" can be used for valid medical purposes. Guess which one has the greatest stigma attached?

Basically, girls are held to a different standard, as Vector said constantly. If a guy is sexually promiscuous, then he's a "stud" and we think he's just awesome. If a girl is sexually promiscuous, then she's a "slut" and we think she's terrible. Think about how that relates to things for girls and separately things for boys, concerning sex.... Kinda like how sexual assault prevention is focused towards things "girls can do about it," like never being alone, and always watching your drink, etc. How about talking to guys and saying "don't do bad things to people?" Instead, every college in the US has a "Code Red" week for female students warning about sexual assault that scares the shit out of female students for about a couple weeks when school starts.... This is jokingly known in fraternities as, "the time to never ask a girl out because the school has just scared the hell out of them all that they'll be raped."

It's a massive double standard.... It's also a test case to see how much they can get away with. I always found it funny that many people saying there is no right to privacy in constitution are the same people who want the government to "butt out," of their affairs. It's there and it's  implied but never stated, just like the right to vote, which is also implied but never stated. It's a wider pattern of forcing medical procedures, drug testing, and who knows what else on people by law.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2012, 06:54:32 pm »

If a guy is sexually promiscuous, then he's a "stud" and we think he's just awesome.

I call those kinds of people assholes, but whatever floats your boat broseph. 

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:57 pm »

Yay, America isn't the only Western society with irrational homophobia!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 14, 2012, 07:02:21 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:55:32 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 14, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »

The best bit is that the guy running the ads half brother is gay...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »

I assume ggamer was talking about the more manipulative guys who move from "conquest" to "conquest." Those are definitely assholes, but not every guy that has lots of girlfriends or whatever is inherently an asshole. Demonzing sexual activity for both genders instead of one isn't a step in the right direction.

Western dating, courtship, and sex is an absolute mess of stupid double standards (as it is most everywhere else too, but in different ways). Untangling the web and pointing out every social problem related to it would take all day.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2012, 07:17:13 pm »

A moderately offensive joke that illustrates societies double-standards.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »

Something easier to visualize might be someone going into a room and announcing they got laid last night. A guy will get praised. A girl? That's hard to visualize because it doesn't happen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 14, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

The best bit is that the guy running the ads half brother is gay...

The story's not all bad, since Queensland is the closest place that Australia has to Alabama, and the LNP is the major right wing party there, and even their state leader supports gay marriage. Bob Katter is a renegade from that party with more extreme views.

And both major parties are going "omg there was an attack ad!". Such ads would be de rigueur in the USA i think. Attack ads are known here but not to the same level of viciousness:

Labor Premier Anna Bligh said the ad was “bizarre'' and “way, way beyond what we expect in a political campaign''.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:53:42 pm by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

Seriously? It is just expected over there?
It is making fucking national news over here for the controversy... People are either up in arms and insulted, laughing at just how bad the entire thing is, or thumping bibles. Protip: Katter is the only one with a bible in hand.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2012, 08:09:48 pm »

Well, typically attack ads in the States don't feature censored images of naked men, but yeah. Pretty common up here.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 759