Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Hammertime - Here Comes the Hammer [Game Over]  (Read 45200 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em [Day 1]
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:09 pm »

Everyone is probably scum. => There is a chance that everyone is scum. I don't think its possible for everyone to be scum.
Everyone is probable scum. => Everyone is people that have a chance to be scum.
Except I was refering to Penngo's original sentence,"I think Andrew is probable scum."

What do you mean by "fluffy"?
Ok then nevermind. When I say fluffy I mean his posts are devoid of useful content. He's activelurking.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »

Mod Andrew's last post was on March 4th, but he has been online recently. I think he needs a prod.

Done.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2012, 09:58:18 pm »

Andrew and Penngo because they both have been dodging question and generally acting suspicious.
Andrew especially with that first post both claiming that he was town and accusing penngo in a way that was definitely not going to help the scumhunt.
Urist is more a gut feeling, there's something I really don't like about him.
What constitutes 'generally acting suspicious'?
Going for quantity over quality and seems to be more concerned with defending himself than actually scumhunting in penngo's case, in Andrew's it the semi-lurking, as well as it seems actually lurking now.  There are other things I think, but I'm a bit tired at the moment and I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head.

Phantom
That you managed to take the screenshot makes it harder for me to believe you. It makes me think that you've been watching the game while logged off.
How does that make it harder to believe? It took me all of thirty seconds.  I took it because I didn't expect people to completely trust me on my word alone so I went to the thread, opened up the snipping tool, clicked on my profile and snipped that, opened up paint, saved, and while img.ie was uploading it; I logged in.
Because you had the forethought to take a screenshot.
I still fail to see how this makes it harder to believe, could you elaborate please?

Urist is more a gut feeling, there's something I really don't like about him.
Then why are you focusing on Andrew instead of asking Urist questions?
Because I tend to get tunnel vision.  As a general rule I tend to focus on one thing at a time, and for the moment Andrew's it, although I do see your point.  I'll ask him a few questions tomorrow after some thought over exactly what I want to ask, and a good night's sleep, I've seen what making questioning posts while sleepy does to you in a mafia game.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

penngo009

• Bay Watcher
  • <(<_<)><(^_^)><(>_<)><(v_v)><(>_>)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »

Hmm ORANGEBOTTLE, may I repeat I voted for him AFTER HIS SECOND POST. It wasn't his first.
How is that relevant?
I voted him BECAUSE OF HIS SECOND POST jeez, are you blind? I have had to repeat this SEVERAL TIMES. Seems like you can't get the point.
League Of Legends NA-The Pengo
Just add me if you're up for some LoL.

Steam name- Pengoooo
Yes, exactly that amount of os in my name. Add me if you want to see if we have any of the same games that you'd want to play.

penngo009

• Bay Watcher
  • <(<_<)><(^_^)><(>_<)><(v_v)><(>_>)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »

Oh and unvote. Orangebottle, you were perfectly fine with me voting Andre earlier saying "He should vote for who he thinks to be scum"....Why change your story now? Hmmm?
League Of Legends NA-The Pengo
Just add me if you're up for some LoL.

Steam name- Pengoooo
Yes, exactly that amount of os in my name. Add me if you want to see if we have any of the same games that you'd want to play.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2012, 02:13:25 am »

Thank god that post by that person earlier was removed, anyways.....Last time I checked I answered all the reasonable questions that came my way(Basically "unreasonable" was Andrews post.) if I missed any, please tell me.

What unreasonable question was this?

Jim, C'mon man, screw da video games for a single post every once in a while. xD

Thanks for the helpful tip, brometheus!

This is a completely useless and unhelpful comment.

Weak. It's Day 1. There are not clear results from anything yet. If you want to discuss results, let's discuss results when we get some roleflips so there are actual results to discuss.

But but but Bayes Theorem and systemic bias and other irrelevant mumbo jumbo! There's no way a scumhunting methodology that sounds as smart as that could be flawed or imperfect or of limited use!

Have it your way. If you can produce results, well, I'm more than willing to keep an open mind about it.

Because there's a difference between keeping your attention on the same two players for 24-36 hours vs. keeping your attention on the same two people for all of D1 so far.

One is "being thorough." The other is "tunneling the easy lynches." I'll leave it to the reader to puzzle out which is which.

How is NativeForeigner 'tunneling easy lynches,' while you're 'being thorough'?

It still looks like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

If the amount of time spent grilling a player case is the only issue, consider how hard it's been for players to actually get any answers out of Andrew425.

If the player is the only issue, perhaps you could explain what makes you think Andrew425 is noob town instead of noob scum? Maybe you've already talked about this. Link me to it.

Now, do you have an interesting explanation for why you came back here two posts after I mentioned that you were unusually quiet? Or do you want us to put that down to coincidence?

I was going to make a post anyway. I was past due. You calling me out for lurking wouldn't have affected the timing of my post even if you hadn't done it.

Was that not interesting enough? I can spice it up if you like.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:53 am »

Jim:
How is NativeForeigner 'tunneling easy lynches,' while you're 'being thorough'?

It still looks like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

If the amount of time spent grilling a player case is the only issue, consider how hard it's been for players to actually get any answers out of Andrew425.
Wait, what?

Getting no answers from your target is a valid excuse for not even bothering to look at anybody else, nevermind build a case on them?

Man, I gotta remember that when I get to play scum.

If the player is the only issue, perhaps you could explain what makes you think Andrew425 is noob town instead of noob scum?
Because I can't come up with a narrative where his actions are scumslips as opposed to noobtells, unless you want to postulate some ridiculously convoluted gambit where he simultaneously busses and defends his scumbuddy. Or you want to postulate that he drops all these noobtells as a diversion from an early scumslip. Neither of which is in character for the Andrew I've seen in his previous games (and yes, I have read several of those, not just the one I was in myself).

His actions are aimless. So he's either very confused or very good at acting confused. And he's just not that good an actor.

zombie:
I've stated some of my reasoning here.
Speculation. But OK, it's a coherent narrative that might even be true. I wouldn't wanna bet a vote on it being true, but it's not as ridiculous as the "simultaneously bussing and chainsawing for his buddy" story people wanted to tell about Andrew.

The thing is up until very recently, you haven't been hunting at all. In the past you've stated many times that you didn't like the tunneling on Andrew/Penngo but didn't do anything about it. Traditional scumhunting tactics still work on the more experienced players, which is everyone else. I did not see any attempt before.
Noted. I'm not completely sure what to do about it this game other than be more aggressive going forward, but I can take it with me to next time.

Using math makes you less accountable for your arguments.
Repeating an unsupported assertion does not make it any more true.

Phantom:
That question zombie urist posed to Native? You know, the "what else are you going to do (besides answer direct questions) while waiting for the lurker you're pressuring to respond?

That's a perfectly good and valid question, and I want you to answer it even more than I want Native to answer it.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:09 am »

Phantom
Andrew425: Why have you avoided questions or incompletely answered questions? 

Because I skim when I read and I usually only read the parts that have a question mark. Otherwise I just view it as fluff to be read when I have more time.

Native
I'd like to know how providing a full quote is stretching your words. The fact that you said or even implied you were town in your very first post most certainly has bearing on this game. The fact that I caught you in a lie means you're scum there's nothing town about you. You said "if you interpret innocent dancer as town", I know for a fact that there is no interpretation there. Only scum would have to interpret anything.

Yawn. I'm town. Saying i'm town has no bearing on this game. Why are you trying to do so?

Jim
So you know he's town? Because the only people who know that another player is town are scum.

I have no idea if he's scum or not. Am I not allowed to asking leading questions? It's a much better RVS question then just some random blather.

Urist McMeanie
His actions are aimless. So he's either very confused or very good at acting confused. And he's just not that good an actor.
You insult me good sir.

Oh and before I forget unvote.

Jim
Is this video game perchance Mass Effect 3?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2012, 05:13:16 am »

Urist McMeanie
You insult me good sir.
Are you saying that you are that good an actor?

Oh and before I forget unvote.
Got a reason to go with that action?
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:41 am »

Vote Count:

Jim Groovester:
NativeForeigner:
Phantom of The Library:
Urist McUselessNoble: zombie urist
Orangebottle: penngo009
Andrew425: Orangebottle, NativeForeigner, Jim Groovester
Dariush:
penngo009: Dariush
zombie urist:

No Lynch:

Not voting: Phantom of The Library, Urist McUselessNoble, Andrew425

With 9 alive, 5 votes to hammer.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »

Going for quantity over quality and seems to be more concerned with defending himself than actually scumhunting in penngo's case, in Andrew's it the semi-lurking, as well as it seems actually lurking now.  There are other things I think, but I'm a bit tired at the moment and I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head.
Well please tell me the other things you think when you are adequately rested.

Why does the fact that his actions are aimless imply that he is confused? And why does him being confused imply he is town?

Speculation. But OK, it's a coherent narrative that might even be true. I wouldn't wanna bet a vote on it being true, but it's not as ridiculous as the "simultaneously bussing and chainsawing for his buddy" story people wanted to tell about Andrew.
What are you willing to vote on? I voted who I thought was scummiest at that time. So far this game you haven't voted yet. Do you have any new suspicions?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2012, 09:00:08 pm »

Phantom:
That question zombie urist posed to Native? You know, the "what else are you going to do (besides answer direct questions) while waiting for the lurker you're pressuring to respond?

That's a perfectly good and valid question, and I want you to answer it even more than I want Native to answer it.
For one, I already said I in my last post that I was going to start questioning you today.  Second, you're acting like you asked the question before and I called it silly or something.  Are you feeling so nervous that you feel the need to defend your questions even before anybody says anything about them? I have said but two sentences to you and you're acting like I've been deflecting questions of yours for several days, which is quite frankly an impossibility.

A question for you Urist McUselessNoble, why are you so concerned with your image?  You claim to be town in every other post and the way you phrase your posts gives me the image of a little gnome inflated with self-importance jumping up and down yelling: "Hey! Look at me!  I'm town and I'm better than you, so you obviously have to listen to me! These guys are scum! Did I mention I'm town?  What? What do you mean I sound like I'm scum?  I'm obviously town 'cause I said so!  You're just a big meanie-head! And you! You're a meanie head too, answer my question and you better answer it right 'cause its perfectly legitimate!"

Andrew425: Not a good enough reason my friend, I played you in the last BM and you seemed to read over everything there.  Frankly, you just reek of incompetence this game, if you are town (which is rather unlikely) you're going to be a hindrance to the scum-hunting effort later in the game.
Reasons:

Lurking
Self-explanatory

Question dodging.
You ignored questions and gave incomplete answers to them when you did.

Trying to appear too town
Claiming at the beginning and then claiming that you didn't afterwards.

and my personal favorite: making accusations with no proof whatsoever and then giving shaky reasons backing them up.
Accusing penngo in the very first post in the game in a rather badly-done roundabout matter.  Asking questions that make people nervous or panic is fine, but just accusing them does absolutely nothing, RVS doesn't mean pick a random person and call them scum, it means pick a random person and use your vote to pressure them.

I really don't see how you're going to defend yourself scum.

I have a general, but related question: are there jokers in Hammer Mafias?

Well please tell me the other things you think when you are adequately rested.
Well I think that chicken wonton bites are delicious, but if you're asking what I think about the game:

I think that we need to get rid of Andrew he looks ridiculously scummy, and even if he isn't scum, he's definitely not helping the town out. 

The other Urist is a little tentacle demon. 

Native needs to actually do something. 

Remind me, is Dariush in this game?

Jim needs to put down his Valkyrie assault rifle and get back to the game, but otherwise he looks rather clean at the moment.

I don't know what to think about you right now.

Orangebottle looks pretty clean so far.

Penngo you'll see in a moment.

Penngo
You seem to be actively unhelpful. 
You've been quibbling over how many posts a person made before you voted for him and unless I'm reading it wrong, he didn't even say which post you said it in, in fact you completely ignored the actually accusation which was made and instead focus on something that wasn't even said, and then proceeded to vote for somebody over the matter. 
I will give you that this is RVS, but my dog man!  You make irrelevant comments and you don't seem to think at all before you post, since you have multiple instances of double posting.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:06 am »

Penngo
Hmm ORANGEBOTTLE, may I repeat I voted for him AFTER HIS SECOND POST. It wasn't his first.
How is that relevant?
I voted him BECAUSE OF HIS SECOND POST jeez, are you blind? I have had to repeat this SEVERAL TIMES. Seems like you can't get the point.
Oh and unvote. Orangebottle, you were perfectly fine with me voting Andre earlier saying "He should vote for who he thinks to be scum"....Why change your story now? Hmmm?
I just don't see how your point is relevant. I don't remember "changing my story", where did I do this?

Phantom:
Phantom
That you managed to take the screenshot makes it harder for me to believe you. It makes me think that you've been watching the game while logged off.
How does that make it harder to believe? It took me all of thirty seconds.  I took it because I didn't expect people to completely trust me on my word alone so I went to the thread, opened up the snipping tool, clicked on my profile and snipped that, opened up paint, saved, and while img.ie was uploading it; I logged in.
Because you had the forethought to take a screenshot.
I still fail to see how this makes it harder to believe, could you elaborate please?
I'm having trouble explaining my thought process.
Basically, your action of taking the screenshot as evidence demonstrates that you felt the need to have evidence; as if you believed that your claim of simply not being here wasn't strong enough. It makes me think that you saw people going,"Where the hell is phantom?" and this made you feel the need to have evidence.

The other Urist is a little tentacle demon. 
That's supposed to mean that he's scum, right?

Andrew:
Why are you unvoting whoever you were voting? Are you going to start actually scumhunting before you get lynched?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:33 am »

zombie
Why does the fact that his actions are aimless imply that he is confused? And why does him being confused imply he is town?
It implies that he's either confused or pretending to be confused. And he's not good enough at this to pretend consistently.

If you have an alternative narrative that explains aimless behaviour apart from those two, then I'd love to hear it.

And being confused indicates (not implies, but indicates) town, because the scum know what's going on. It's the town that's working in a confusing setup.

What are you willing to vote on? I voted who I thought was scummiest at that time. So far this game you haven't voted yet. Do you have any new suspicions?
I'm willing to vote whomever I think needs to hang. I was really tempted to lynch Andrew for admitting that he's deliberately and with malice aforethought flaking, but sadly that's not out of character for his town play in the games I've read or played with him. I'm still suspicious of Native, and getting more so the more he tries to evade meaningfully interacting with any of us other than Andrew. Speaking of which:

Hey, Native! That question zombie asked you? Yeah, you still need to answer it. What do you plan to do for the rest of the day now that you've settled on your lynch target? Lurk?

Phantom
Phantom:

For one, I already said I in my last post that I was going to start questioning you today.  Second, you're acting like you asked the question before and I called it silly or something.
That is your impression. It's not true.

I have said but two sentences to you and you're acting like I've been deflecting questions of yours for several days, which is quite frankly an impossibility.
Because you haven't actually been in the game for most of it.

Drawing attention to this fact is... not going to help your case.

A question for you Urist McUselessNoble, why are you so concerned with your image? [string of utter bullshit omitted for the sake of brevity]
I don't know why you read my posts that way. If you have specific arguments or phrases that you find objectionable, please present them and we can have a frank discussion about their propriety. But generalised, de-contextualised claims about my playstyle are... not even useful in the post-game evaluation, nevermind as in-game accusations that you want to actually stick.

Do you have anything of substance that want to discuss with me, or are you going to keep throwing me softballs to look like you're hunting?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2012, 03:42:38 am »

I'm willing to vote whomever I think needs to hang. I was really tempted to lynch Andrew for admitting that he's deliberately and with malice aforethought flaking, but sadly that's not out of character for his town play in the games I've read or played with him. I'm still suspicious of Native, and getting more so the more he tries to evade meaningfully interacting with any of us other than Andrew.

Why haven't you voted anyone yet? You've got suspicions. You even have reasons. What's stopping you?

The more you talk about it the more it looks exactly like that: talk. You can talk all you want, but at some point your talk needs to line up with your actions.

I have a general, but related question: are there jokers in Hammer Mafias?

You mean jesters?

Role-light usually only means things like cops and doctors and roleblockers and things like that. Nothing too fancy or elaborate.

I have no idea if he's scum or not. Am I not allowed to asking leading questions? It's a much better RVS question then just some random blather.

Not the question I asked. I wanted to know whether you knew he was town or not. Yours is almost an answer to my question.

And... what? If asking Phantom of the Library how he would help the town was a leading question, then that meant you wanted him to give some upbeat and positive but ultimately worthless answer so that he would look more town. In which case, that doesn't look very good for him, and it doesn't look very good for you.

Do you actually know what you are talking about at any given moment in the game? How about you give me a better explanation of what you were hoping to find out with that question, because you asking him a leading question doesn't make any sense.

Jim
Is this video game perchance Mass Effect 3?

If it was, I would be even more 'Fuck all y'all, I'm playing vidya games' than I am now.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17