Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Hammertime - Here Comes the Hammer [Game Over]  (Read 45219 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em [Day 1]
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:03 pm »

Why are you stretching my words? The fact that I said I was town or even implied it has no bearing on this game. Either i'm lying and i'm scum or i'm a town who has no idea why you're going after me for calling myself an innocent dancer.

I'd like to know how providing a full quote is stretching your words. The fact that you said or even implied you were town in your very first post most certainly has bearing on this game. The fact that I caught you in a lie means you're scum there's nothing town about you. You said "if you interpret innocent dancer as town", I know for a fact that there is no interpretation there. Only scum would have to interpret anything.

Penngo: Nothing to say to anyone else?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »

Why shouldn't Penngo be voting for the person he finds most suspicious?
Would you prefer he vote for someone who he thinks is town?
Everybody is probable scum.
I read his sentence as probably instead of probable, because probable makes no sense to me.
Actually, probable makes more sense than probably.
In that post you've also asked three people to vote. You seem to be very anxious to end the day.

Alright, so: you think penngo009's scummy, so it's worth it to lynch him, but if he's town, it's also worth it to lynch him?
No, I think penngo (and Andrew too) are town, so I don't vote them. But I think they're scummy enough that I cannot reasonably use someone voting them as the basis for interrogation.
Well why don't you find another basis for interrogation instead of making excuses? You've been passive this entire game.

Have you stopped to consider that we're looking at the scummiest people in the game right now?
Scummiest based on what metric of scumminess?
Serious question. Because if you're going off a mental checklist of scumtells that is based on the culture of this board and various forms of behaviour that would be counterproductive in a townie, then you only get good reads on people who have a competent town play.
Sure, you can policylynch people for not being productive for the town. I'm not a big fan of that policy, but you can do that. Is that what you are doing? Because it looks a lot like that is what you're doing.
How many metrics of scumminess are there? You yourself have said that they are being scummy, yet believe them to be town. You've also haven't found anyone more scummy. How do you explain this?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »

Well why don't you find another basis for interrogation instead of making excuses? You've been passive this entire game.
By asking stupid RVS questions until someone stops tunneling the two easy lynches?

Serious question. Because "tunneling the two easy lynches" is pretty much the scummiest thing I've seen people do this game, and every fucking player except me and the two easy lynches is guilty of that. They can't very well all be scum.

But maybe I have been going about this the wrong way. So tell me, zombie urist, why should I believe that you in particular are on the townwagon rather than the scumwagon? Because it looks to me like you're going after an easy lynch. Which, by the list of scumtells you're using to justify your own vote, is a scummy thing to do.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »

EBWOP:
Because "tunneling the two easy lynches" is pretty much the scummiest thing I've seen people do this game, and every fucking player except me and the two easy lynches is guilty of that.
Actually, that's not technically true. Phantom is also not guilty of that, by virtue of not having done anything yet.

But that's really not any more reassuring.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:56 am »

Unvote
By asking stupid RVS questions until someone stops tunneling the two easy lynches?
Serious question. Because "tunneling the two easy lynches" is pretty much the scummiest thing I've seen people do this game, and every fucking player except me and the two easy lynches is guilty of that. They can't very well all be scum.
But maybe I have been going about this the wrong way. So tell me, zombie urist, why should I believe that you in particular are on the townwagon rather than the scumwagon? Because it looks to me like you're going after an easy lynch. Which, by the list of scumtells you're using to justify your own vote, is a scummy thing to do.
Asking RVS questions is better than sitting around and waiting for people to unvote scummy people. Right now it looks like to me is that your plan is to wait for scum to give themselves up.
Why am I town? You know these questions I've been asking you? They're not RVS. I now think you're the scummiest person so far. If I was going for the easy lynch I would have hammered Andrew by now.

Here are my reasons for thinking you're scum. You've been passive this entire game. You said Penngo/Andrew are scummy, yet believe them to be town but haven't found anyone more scummy and don't seem to be trying. I don't like your justification of your gut feeling using Bayes' Theorem or how you're painting yourself town by saying pretty much everyone else is scummy for tunneling.

You've also conveniently missed this question. You're really living up to your name, Urist McUselessNoble.
How many metrics of scumminess are there? You yourself have said that they are being scummy, yet believe them to be town. You've also haven't found anyone more scummy. How do you explain this?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2012, 01:14:49 am »

Sorry for the wait, I'm having trouble getting into this.

McUselessNoble
Have you stopped to consider that we're looking at the scummiest people in the game right now?
Scummiest based on what metric of scumminess?
The metric that's standard across the Mafia board.
Serious question. Because if you're going off a mental checklist of scumtells that is based on the culture of this board and various forms of behaviour that would be counterproductive in a townie, then you only get good reads on people who have a competent town play.

Sure, you can policylynch people for not being productive for the town. I'm not a big fan of that policy, but you can do that. Is that what you are doing? Because it looks a lot like that is what you're doing.
No. I'm voting for the person I think is scummiest.
Are you going to start attacking the entire community for playing the way we play? That's the way I read that post.

How are you so incredibly sure of Penngo and Andrew's towniness that you're attacking people for voting for them? Who are you suspicious of? Why are you distancing yourself from the inevitable lynch of one of Penngo or Andrew?

Dariush
I think they're both scum.
Wow, nice one. Uh. Why?
Let me break it down for you:
Andrew claimed town in his very first post.
Then he said that sure, I could've interpreted his post that way, but he only put it in there for flavor purposes.
He voted for Penngo not because of his reaction to his silly softball RVS stuff, but instead because Penngo "made up quotes for him", which could easily be attributed to a simple mistake. This makes it seem like he was looking for an easy excuse to lynch Penngo. Then he tries to force Penngo to answer his silly softball RVS question, as if it somehow helps him figure out if Penngo's scum or not.

Penngo, on the other hand, told people not to vote Andrew despite the fact that Andrew was acting scummy from his first post.
Then he voted for Andrew anyway.
The post in which he did that makes him look like he's trying to cover up his panic.

Both of them are tossing liberal amounts of wine at us.

Zombie
Why shouldn't Penngo be voting for the person he finds most suspicious?
Would you prefer he vote for someone who he thinks is town?
Everybody is probable scum.
I read his sentence as probably instead of probable, because probable makes no sense to me.
Actually, probable makes more sense than probably.
I don't see how.

In that post you've also asked three people to vote. You seem to be very anxious to end the day.
Correction; I've asked three people why they aren't voting. It's not necessarily ending the day. They could come up with a good reason not to vote, or find a new target to vote for.

Phantom
That you managed to take the screenshot makes it harder for me to believe you. It makes me think that you've been watching the game while logged off.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:01 am »

zombie urist:
Asking RVS questions is better than sitting around and waiting for people to unvote scummy people. Right now it looks like to me is that your plan is to wait for scum to give themselves up.
I want people to effin' well justify their votes beyond some cookie-cutter scumhunting guide that seems to help you policylynch newbies more often than it helps you find scum. Since the only justifications that are forthcoming (when they are forthcoming at all - you conveniently left out your case on penngo in that post when you decided that you'd rather attack me for pointing out this fact) are references to said cookie-cutter scumhunting guide, that line of inquiry has thus far been unproductive.

I can't get a read on people who make only totally predictable challenges to players who can't adequately respond to them whether they're town or scum. But I'm not totally clear on how that makes me scummy. I'd figure that made the people who were, y'know, refusing to substantively interact with anybody other than the two easy lynches scummy. But apparently that's just me thinking this, because that sentence describes more players here than there are scum.

Entertain this notion for me for a second: What if we lynch Andrew or penngo and they flip town? What, precisely, have we learned from D1 in that case? At all? This interaction we're having right now is the first substantive one I've seen in this game where one of the parties hasn't been one of the two easy lynches.

I get that you want to policylynch the newbies. And I can't really blame you for that, because they're making every possible cock-up in the book. I disagree, but I can't blame you. But I can blame you for tunneling them after it has become abundantly clear that they can't dig themselves out of the hole they're in, because it adds no new information.

Spoiler: zombie urist Q&A (click to show/hide)
Orangebottle:
Are you going to start attacking the entire community for playing the way we play? That's the way I read that post.
Your appeal to popularity is noted.

Look, the way this community plays comes with a completely disproportionate mislynch rate for newbies like penngo and Andrew. This is an acknowledged problem. It says so right in Dakarian's scumhunting guide that gets pasted in every freaking boot camp, and empirical evidence is readily available in more than half the games on the first page. In other words, your tactics overestimate the scumminess of people with weak town play. To obtain an accurate estimate, you need to correct for this built-in bias. Or justify why it's a good idea to preemptively eliminate players solely on the basis of weak town play. Such justifications can be made. But I'm not seeing you make any of them.

Is it possible that I'm bending over backwards too far in this case? Absolutely. But it's virtually certain, not merely possible, that you're not bending over backwards far enough to correct for the systematic bias in your tactic.

Spoiler: Orangebottle Q&A (click to show/hide)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2012, 08:15:54 am »

Let me break it down for you:
snip
Oh. I thought that by 'two scummiest people' you meant me and Phantom, with whom you didn't interact previously at all.

McNoble, reading back over the thread, you answered the part of my second-to-last post where I asked for your read on specific people but neatly... quote-mined my question about your actual suspicions. Now stop being a fucking activelurking hypocrite and answer the question: Whom do you suspect? Are you ever going to vote?

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »

McNoble, reading back over the thread, you answered the part of my second-to-last post where I asked for your read on specific people but neatly... quote-mined my question about your actual suspicions. Now stop being a fucking activelurking hypocrite and answer the question: Whom do you suspect?
Right now, I'm suspecting Jim and Native, because they seem to be hiding behind the easy lynches. Being quiet is normal for Native, though, so he's an edge case. Jim, on the other hand, is being way too exclusively focused on hanging Andrew.

Are you ever going to vote?
Yes.

This has been another edition of simple answers to simple questions.

Less flippantly, I will vote as soon as I have a case that's strong enough to form the basis for a lynch. You want me to vote on a weaker case than that?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »

Rejoice! A direct answer from McNoble, who could have thought that would happen in this lifetime?!
Right now, I'm suspecting Jim and Native, because they seem to be hiding behind the easy lynches. Being quiet is normal for Native, though, so he's an edge case. Jim, on the other hand, is being way too exclusively focused on hanging Andrew.
Many thanks for stating that. Now... uh... are you going to do anything about it? Question either of them, pressure, do anything except sitting there and flapping your metaphorical tongue?
Less flippantly, I will vote as soon as I have a case that's strong enough to form the basis for a lynch. You want me to vote on a weaker case than that?
Do you expect the cases to gracefully glide into your mind like a penguin? Or are you going to try building one, you activelurking piece of shit?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

Orangebottle:
Everyone is probably scum. => There is a chance that everyone is scum. I don't think its possible for everyone to be scum.
Everyone is probable scum. => Everyone is people that have a chance to be scum.

Everything else is for McUselessNoble
zombie urist:
I want people to effin' well justify their votes beyond some cookie-cutter scumhunting guide that seems to help you policylynch newbies more often than it helps you find scum. Since the only justifications that are forthcoming (when they are forthcoming at all - you conveniently left out your case on penngo in that post when you decided that you'd rather attack me for pointing out this fact) are references to said cookie-cutter scumhunting guide, that line of inquiry has thus far been unproductive.
If you want them to justify their votes why don't you ask them? I'm not restating my case on Penngo because it hasn't changed from what I've said on page 2 and 3.

I can't get a read on people who make only totally predictable challenges to players who can't adequately respond to them whether they're town or scum. But I'm not totally clear on how that makes me scummy. I'd figure that made the people who were, y'know, refusing to substantively interact with anybody other than the two easy lynches scummy. But apparently that's just me thinking this, because that sentence describes more players here than there are scum.
It makes you scummy because you haven't been making an effort to find out more about the people who are tunneling Andrew/Penngo.

Entertain this notion for me for a second: What if we lynch Andrew or penngo and they flip town? What, precisely, have we learned from D1 in that case? At all? This interaction we're having right now is the first substantive one I've seen in this game where one of the parties hasn't been one of the two easy lynches.
If they do flip town we can read their previous posts and interactions as town. Everyone else is asking other people questions and are making decisions. There are plenty of interactions where people aren't discussing the easy lynches.

I get that you want to policylynch the newbies. And I can't really blame you for that, because they're making every possible cock-up in the book. I disagree, but I can't blame you. But I can blame you for tunneling them after it has become abundantly clear that they can't dig themselves out of the hole they're in, because it adds no new information.
No one has said anything about policylynching. People have posted their reasoning for voting the way they do. It's funny because you yourself said that it might be worth lynching them even if they are town here.

I don't like your justification of your gut feeling using Bayes' Theorem or how you're painting yourself town by saying pretty much everyone else is scummy for tunneling.
I'd rather you argue the point than note that you dislike it. I know you dislike it. I don't have any really clear idea why.
Using math shifts the blame from yourself.

How many metrics of scumminess are there?
More than one, clearly, since people regularly disagree on how scummy other people are.

You don't like my metric? Fine. I can work with that. What I can't work with is that you're not transparent about the one you're using, and you won't tell me why you don't like mine beyond the fact that it's not the one you're using.
I'm voting people based on who is scummy and I've given my reasons to why they're scummy. You seem to be saying everyone other than you is equally scummy. 

You yourself have said that they are being scummy, yet believe them to be town. You've also haven't found anyone more scummy. How do you explain this?
You mean aside from the extensive discussion of that very subject we've been entertaining for the past, oh, five posts or so?
Yes. I'm mostly interested in why you haven't found anyone more scummy. Saying that everyone has been tunneling Andrew/Penngo is incorrect since everyone is also questioning other people.

All the scumtells on your checklist are based on the logic "this is counterproductive for the town to do, so anybody doing it must be scum." That works great when you use it on experienced, competent players. Andrew and penngo? Not so much.
So do you have any better ideas about how to determine whether the less experienced people are scum?

penngo009

• Bay Watcher
  • <(<_<)><(^_^)><(>_<)><(v_v)><(>_>)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Hmm ORANGEBOTTLE, may I repeat I voted for him AFTER HIS SECOND POST. It wasn't his first.

Also, zombie urist why did you auto voted them as soon as they make a threatening presence? I like your roleplaying, like the real mafia you threatened the person who targeted you!
League Of Legends NA-The Pengo
Just add me if you're up for some LoL.

Steam name- Pengoooo
Yes, exactly that amount of os in my name. Add me if you want to see if we have any of the same games that you'd want to play.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:05 pm »

For fuck's sake. Has actually reading the thread gone out of style or is it ignoring me a wincon for some people?

Penngo: I know it's nothing big, but it's still a question.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:33 pm »

Also, zombie urist why did you auto voted them as soon as they make a threatening presence? I like your roleplaying, like the real mafia you threatened the person who targeted you!

I didn't 'auto-vote' him, whatever that means. My reasons for voting McUselessNoble are in this post.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2012, 01:06:22 am »

NativeForeigner:
For fuck's sake. Has actually reading the thread gone out of style or is it ignoring me a wincon for some people?
That would be an interesting sort of bastardry to add, but since this is not a bastard mod, I'm guessing "no."

But I'll show you some love, Native. Aside from a single RVS question and an early prod at the other urist, your every post in this thread has been about penngo and Andrew, and only indirectly, if at all, about anybody else. That you hunt them is fine, I have no gripes with that. But that you hunt nobody else is... not cool.

Is nobody else interesting to you at all? Are there no other interesting interactions in this thread? Are there no scumtells from other people you wish to note, even just for the record so you can take them up if your top pick proves to be town?

Dariush:
Are those latest questions rhetorical or do you actually want me to dignify them with answers that do not consist of concatenating increasingly interesting invective?

Jim: You're lurking. This is unusual for you. Want to share the reason why?
Phantom: Today's your big debut. Make it good.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17