Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 64242 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:51 am »

While i don't actually need a book to provide me with the information i get around here or the wiki i will be purchasing this because it's the closest thing i will get to owning a tangible copy of dwarf fortress itself. It will go with pride of place on my bookshelf next to the kindle i seem to only use for browsing these forums when my landline goes down, and my DSi.
Also i would like to show support for TinyPirate himself as it was your tutorial that got me actually playing (while i read about boatmurdered on something awful years ago i somehow forgot the game existed untill df2010 was linked to me in IRC, i never would have stuck with it without the Tutorial and mayday graphics(which i sadly don't use anymore, just ASCII)
Back ontopic, when i buy this i also must remember to donate to toady.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:37 am »

Sorry, I'm a little bit confused on how the automatic updating works.  If I were to buy this on my Kindle, through the Kindle store, will it still update?  Or do I have to do something beyond that?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:20 am »

I know if you buy through O'Reilly you would get an alert that there's a new book and I'm unsure how on gets alerted and then downloads a new copy. I'm unsure how it will work for buying directly through the Kindle store - I will find out and let everyone know closer to publishing time.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 06:06:59 am »

Marmot, Elephant, or Carp, for the cover.  It's the only way to go.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 06:56:29 am »

i kinda like the current cover, but i think some awesome artwork from that bronzemurder guy might be better. Maybe as a background for the standard dorf head.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:49 am »

It's already pre-ordered. Awesome thing in my bookshelf, yeah.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:48 am »

I'm suprised no one's mentioned the typo yet.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:56 am »

I always get my quokkas and my goblins mixxed up anyway, herpaderp.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:02 am »

Eek! Where!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 03:12:35 am »

Eek! Where!

"Q"uide book

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »

I know if you buy through O'Reilly you would get an alert that there's a new book and I'm unsure how on gets alerted and then downloads a new copy. I'm unsure how it will work for buying directly through the Kindle store - I will find out and let everyone know closer to publishing time.

Amazon emails you a notification with a link to your "ebooks purchased" page in your account at Amazon.  The book in question will have a "Upgrade available" text next to it (or something like that), and you can click through that to have them send you an updated book.  The book will automatically update the next time your Kindle gets back onto the net.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:12 am »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:43 am »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2012, 05:05:06 am »

Amazon emails you a notification with a link to your "ebooks purchased" page in your account at Amazon.  The book in question will have a "Upgrade available" text next to it (or something like that), and you can click through that to have them send you an updated book.  The book will automatically update the next time your Kindle gets back onto the net.

That is awesome. Thanks for letting me know.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Dwarf Fortress guide book?
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:05 am »

Does the book cover getting through aquifers? Traffic zones? Military schedules?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10