Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 64250 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 08:04:05 am »

Not sure I will cover bugs really - it's a "Getting started with" book, after all, and there are very few bugs a new player will notice.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2012, 08:33:41 am »

Next random question: what is the most advanced thing explained in the book?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:28 am »

I'm aware of the game's reputation, but mightn't that cover be a little intimidating to some prospective buyers? Just a thought.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:42 am »

Hey, so we've got an early concept for the book cover. Needs transparency fiddled with in a couple of places, that sort of stuff, but it will do to show off now. It's not carp, but I like how striking it is :)

Could you talk them into a "stealth / in-joke" cover edition, which looks exactly like a "standard" O'Reilly manual (colors, typeface, etc.) and simply says "Getting Started with df" on the spine, with the standard engraving of a carp, elephant, etc. cover?  I'd buy an extra copy to slip in my bookcase at work and see who notices, as would probably a bunch of people :) 

That said, the cover posted is fairly striking; I like that the subdued world map background echoes the world map background on the dev page.  I'm of somewhat mixed opinion on the red beard... have you tried it with a different-gray beard, and red eyes?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:29 am »

I love the cover! If you don't know that the standard beard color is gray, it seems normal; but for experienced players, the whole thing gets a sinister touch. It looks a bit like the dwarf soaked his beard in elf blood. Or magma.

I'm also all for the recursive back cover. You should also include a DF-style book description somewhere, maybe above the copyright or on the back. Something like:
Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress is a legendary paper-bound book. The written portion consists of a 250 page guide entitled Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress, authored by Peter Tyson. It concerns the video game Dwarf Fortress. The writing is a reservoir of amusingly clever quips and it is fairly cheerful.

In the late spring of 2012, Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress was published by O'Reilly.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

whaaaa, there's only paperback? no digital edition?
how exactly are you hoping to lure more players in DF *without* a book in Kindle version? It's not that hard to convert PDFs to MOBI for Kindle...

and, beside the subject, i've seen a DF app in iOS App Store, just a browser leading to some online tutorials and videos sorted by theme (not a dump of wiki), sold for $3 or something

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

What? I heard there's going to be digital edition. You can get it cheaper if you buy the paperback one.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:54 pm »

Got some book info updates!

- It's actually not eBook-only; it will be available in print, PDF, epub, mobi, and on Safari. You can buy both a print copy and an ebook copy at the same time for less than the price of both separately.

- eBook - If you buy directly from oreily.com you are notified when new updates are available and can download the newest version for free (also DRM-free)
[...]
So, awesome news, YOU CAN BUY A COPY AND WEDGE IT BETWEEN YOUR CODE BOOKS!

I think nobody said anything specific about the price yet.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2012, 08:00:24 pm »

No one said there wouldn't be an ebook version. Where did that idea come from?

It will be available as an ebook wherever you can buy an O'Reilly ebook now (most everywhere). It will be available as a paperback from O'Reilly's website. If you buy the ebook from O'Reilly then it maybe easier to keep up with updates as they are released by me.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

TinyPirate, you are a god among Dwarves. I am most DEFINITELY purchasing this for all of my friends to get them into the game as well. Even though there is a wealth of information online, nothing beats a real book to introduce you to something so you don't have to wade through countless threads, especially if it's as good as your tutorials were! Best of luck.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »

Any news? I got this preordered! :D

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »

Are the updates frustrating? I imagine they must be, having elements of gameplay changed drastically close to publishing, and now there's minecarts coming up. Is the publishing date being pushed back a little, or are you just going ahead with the initial run? Just curious.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »

Are the updates frustrating? I imagine they must be, having elements of gameplay changed drastically close to publishing, and now there's minecarts coming up. Is the publishing date being pushed back a little, or are you just going ahead with the initial run? Just curious.

I think minecarts are a ways away from a release.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »

Posting to watch.  I am *definately* going to purchase a copy or two of this in my continued (but surely still doomed) effort to get friends hooked on the game.
At last, she is done.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2012, 05:48:57 am »

Hi there! Book is with the production editors. I get two more "goes" at it before publishing. I'm sure we'll see minecarts before the game is released and I will be able to include them in the book.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10