Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 64241 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress guide book?
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2012, 07:25:40 am »

No, no, yes.

Although I'm probably going to add something on both of those first two. Remember, it is a "Getting Started With..." book and it is already 200 pages!  :o

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2012, 07:27:24 am »

Amazon emails you a notification with a link to your "ebooks purchased" page in your account at Amazon.  The book in question will have a "Upgrade available" text next to it (or something like that), and you can click through that to have them send you an updated book.  The book will automatically update the next time your Kindle gets back onto the net.

I went and specifically asked the publisher about this. The response is captured in this blog post I wrote about how the book will be published and whatnot.

I also shared this sneak peek of the art :)

sumofallwars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:44 am »

just bought my copy from the o'reily store. along with a few other text books. going to put it with my other text books.:)

can i make a request?

Could you go into details on the military screen and have a nice chart or something regarding layers.
Also how to get dwarfs to wear the stuff in the right order.

Thanks

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:09 am »

Tim Denee's artwork always impresses. :) Can't wait for the book to come out!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2012, 07:49:03 am »

Hey man how about making some leather covers for kindles/nooks with your cover page and back and then it can be like having the real thing (almost) while also having the auto updatin' :D
I like sushi.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:27 am »

Just got a message from Amazon saying the book has been delayed by a week. Is this so the bit about minecarts can be squeezed into it?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:33 am »

The blogpost said something about the first version not having minecarts but later revisions will have. So, nope.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

Actually, yes, minecarts WILL be in the book now.

I was going to finish the final draft today but the editors and I agree that would be kinda pointless now! Today and the other day off I have this week will be spent adding in .08 update stuff and so ye book is probably 5 days further delayed.

Also, if you buy from Amazon you DO NOT get the automatic updates for free when the book changes in the future. That only happens for O'Reilly customers (the vagaries of publishing, sorry). When the book is out oreilly.com will offer it in all the ebook formats you could wish for though (and print).

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:47 pm »

Actually, yes, minecarts WILL be in the book now.

I was going to finish the final draft today but the editors and I agree that would be kinda pointless now! Today and the other day off I have this week will be spent adding in .08 update stuff and so ye book is probably 5 days further delayed.

Also, if you buy from Amazon you DO NOT get the automatic updates for free when the book changes in the future. That only happens for O'Reilly customers (the vagaries of publishing, sorry). When the book is out oreilly.com will offer it in all the ebook formats you could wish for though (and print).

Please tell me that you'll manage to include an illustration of loading burning whales into a minecart or some other overly-complex weaponized minecart?

I know it would force me to buy a copy....

Now to get down to work on "Project Whalegun" .....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52:20 pm »

If you have a "real life" story of this event happening (or any similar stories of minecart fun) then PLEASE let me know! I am hoping to include at least one Tim Denee illustration to do with mine carts, but I want an awesome story, and Tim has to agree he has the time to do it. As you can imagine, we're all in a bit of a rush here :D

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:42 am »

Well, time to cancel my Amazon order and try to get it from O'Reilly then. Thanks!

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »

I've preordered the book.
I'm usually all for ebooks, having an iPad and Kindle. But I also like paper books and this one I want to have in physical form. With all the free guides (in PDF, wiki, forum, etc forms) in electronic format, the print book is all that I really need for my DF needs.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:12 am »

Thanks!

Book will be out next week some time. Not sure if I have mentioned it, but there will be a deal posted for the book and the ebook together - not sure what price - but a good discount over the items individually, I believe.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 11:31:42 pm »

I'm curious to see what kind of publicity this will generate. IIRC dwarf fortress already has had articles published in PC Gamer in the NY Times, which is nothing short of incredible for a solo project, especially when you consider how archaic an ASCII interface must seem to the average gamer who isn't accustomed to it. And we're still technically in alpha.

I've heard from many a person that commercial gaming is dead, and even the indie scene is lackluster. I think the thing I admire the most is how it's developed and funded; being entirely free has done wonders for getting word out and Zach & Tarn receive plenty in community donations. Piracy is a non-issue. They aren't held back by executives when it comes to design, though we influence the game in some ways. They're designing the game they want to play, which is just as well for us because we share similar tastes. It's perfect in every way, a dream come true. I see Kickstarter and I think this sort of thing is going to become very big.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2012, 01:51:09 am »

I love that Anubis-like depiction of colossus. I cannot order it now, but I will definitely buy it in the future, thank you guys for your awesome writing and drawing work :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10