Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Sit-and-watch games/simulations  (Read 32515 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sit-and-watch games/simulations
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »

There was a virtual aquarium 'game' called 'El Fish' which would spend forever pre-rendering graphics for genetically evolved fish for your fishtank.

Sadly, the game starts with a CPU speed test; since and most modern PC's complete the test task in under 1 minute, giving Zero; and the game then divides something by that Zero...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El-Fish

HOLY CRAP! THAT'S WHAT THAT GAME WAS CALLED! I've so downloaded this. I had a demo for it years ago, and always wanted to get the full version, cause it only had a few fish or something. Plus our comp was old to the point where animating a fish took hours sometime. Gonna see if DOSbox'll fix the divide by zero thing.

And I could never figure out SIMEarth. And I've never found a guide that helped much.

This quote makes me laugh: "SimLife and El-Fish tax the powers of today's computers to their limits... it will be a few years before this marriage of simulation and animation will make it into our homes. But eventually, we'll wonder how we ever put up with two-dimensional computer creatures."
It's very Elfish.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »

And I could never figure out SIMEarth. And I've never found a guide that helped much.

In case you haven't read the last few pages of this thread, I did post a link to a guide that you may find helpful: http://www.glennsguides.com/2009/05/simearth-living-planet-dos-pc-game-free.html

That's just an install guide, I can get it running, I just can't figure out how to make the damn game work. Read the manual, read several guides, and all my critters always die. Plants, now, plants I can get all over the damn place.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

Does anyone want to try a Gene Pool tournament thing? At the very least, it seems fun.
Might be fun. I'd probably join for a laugh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »

Does anyone want to try a Gene Pool tournament thing? At the very least, it seems fun.

I'm up for that.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:48 pm »

Where would that go? Forum Games? Other Games? As in, the thread.

I really wish I was able to code things like that ,because I feel like ripping it apart and adding stuff like predators, currents, and other stuff D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:16 pm »

I'd put it in Play With Your Buddies, as it's a multiplayer game in the loosest sense of the term.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2012, 02:47:04 am »

Hell yes. I'm always up for more of Ventrella's ALife programs!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:24 am »

Try Godville

(btw, about that, there is a guild in the game that has the name slaves to armok)

SimEarth is a delicious game tough.
I love working with DOS, even tough its from before my time.

Takes some magic to make it work, but im good in computer magic.

EDIT:

It works, i did it on my own, and the moment that i heard the intro music i was all like: 'FUCKYEAH! AWESOME!'.
Was hard not to scream at my computer screen in joy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:16:19 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »

This quote makes me laugh: "SimLife and El-Fish tax the powers of today's computers to their limits... it will be a few years before this marriage of simulation and animation will make it into our homes. But eventually, we'll wonder how we ever put up with two-dimensional computer creatures."

I actually remember the days when SimLife taxed my grandparents' computer to its limits. I remember custom-making a pokemon-themed ecosystem, and being frustrated by the Pidgeotto boom that wiped the Ekans out of existance.

It was a sad day.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »

I actually remember the days when SimLife taxed my grandparents' computer to its limits. I remember custom-making a pokemon-themed ecosystem, and being frustrated by the Pidgeotto boom that wiped the Ekans out of existance.

It was a sad day.

YOU TEMPT ME, SOLI!  >:(

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »

I love games like this. I'll need to read through this thread carefully at some point to see what gems I can pick out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »

I like this thread. I think I'll sit and watch how it goes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

Posting to follow.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

Not really a simulation... in fact, not really even a game. But The Chronicles of Jaruu Tenk is definitely sit-and-watch.

You have a few camera controls and I think there are 2 or 3 objects in the world that you can actually interact with. Mostly it's a bit of a virtual house with virtual (preprogrammed) inhabitants. You can run it or set it as a screensaver.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »

Darwin bots is kind of cool.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7