Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Sit-and-watch games/simulations  (Read 32506 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sit-and-watch games/simulations
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:20 am »

Recently if you want near zero hands on i run OpenTTD and watch the various companies go about building up their business.
What you think about AI called AIAI?

AIAI? Sounds dangerous! :D
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 04:13:21 am »

PTW.  Which Creatures game is the best? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:21 am »

Darwin's Pond is similar but different to Gene Pool, and personally I like it a bit better.  The critters seem a little more reactive and a bit less randomy to me.  http://www.ventrella.com/Darwin/darwin.html
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:15 am »

Which Creatures game is the best?

That depends. Each have their quirks, advantages, and shortcomings. The first were more charming, bigger, more "hands off", and show the sort of experimental and silly spirit common to early game developers (Easter Eggs, etc.). The later games, on the other hand, were far more polished and gamelike, and add neat new features and new levels of complexity lacking in the first.

Spoiler: To go into more detail (click to show/hide)

In either case, I'd strongly advocate the use of certain mods. Looking around, it seems that the Creatures community is still producing mods, tweaks, and new content over a decade later, and a lot of it looks to be pretty significant. In particular, the Creatures Full of Edits tweak addresses some bugs, and improves the AI and organic modelling significantly.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:09 am »

posting to watch

Oh, and as stated somewhere above, a decent ant colony simulator would be great
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:22 am »

Yeah one thing I would suggest everyone get for Creatures 3, but as I found out it doesn't work anymore for a reason I don't know why, was Gaia.

It would repopulate extinct animals in your terrariums (which was BAAADLY needed since if you ever played Creatures 3 for a long time, you would see the animals depopulate since only a few can be respawned).

Creatures 3's genetics also got very interesting if you kept playing the game for a long time.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:19 am »

PTW

OpenTTD is a good one, mentioned earlier. You can just let the AI build a transportation network.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:16 am »

I just had to register and comment here after I found that remark about FinFin.

For those who are curious, a basic (but well worded) summary of the game can be found here: http://www.alassea.net/finfin/index.php?infowhat, and can be downloaded at this fansite: http://home.arcor.de/emge/index_e.htm, along with other important information.  Oh, and yes, it is abandonware (http://faq.ca.fujitsu.com/all/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1145).

It does appear to work on Windows 7, although I'd imagine I may be difficult to get help when most of the forum-goers speak German.

Sigh. Downloading to test this. I'm so gonna regret it.

Couldnt install it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:31:55 am by Deadmeat1471 »

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:48 am »

Following, If you have an iphone, ipod touch or ipad you should try artificial life. I have it and it's amazing, you can even survival test the critters.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

posting to watch

Oh, and as stated somewhere above, a decent ant colony simulator would be great

There's always the masterpiece of a game...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »

Yeah one thing I would suggest everyone get for Creatures 3, but as I found out it doesn't work anymore for a reason I don't know why, was Gaia.

It would repopulate extinct animals in your terrariums (which was BAAADLY needed since if you ever played Creatures 3 for a long time, you would see the animals depopulate since only a few can be respawned).

Creatures 3's genetics also got very interesting if you kept playing the game for a long time.

I don't think I've heard about Gaia, but I'll look into it.  I actually found my Creatures 3 disk last night so I'm probably going to install that.

That was one thing that always bugged me about Creatures.  I really couldn't just leave it to run.  Even when I was giving it my full attention, it seemed like the whole thing was on the verge of collapse.  I once had some kind of epidemic that made all my Norns sick and I tried to figure out some kind of quarantine protocol but it still didn't seem to work.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 06:05:28 pm »

I used to do Wolf Runs all the time, but they rarely lasted more than 3 generations on any of the games.

I think 1 is my favourite. On 3, I didn't like how my Norns all looked like clowns and had too many buttons they really wanted to press all the time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 06:19:08 pm »

I used to do Wolf Runs all the time, but they rarely lasted more than 3 generations on any of the games.

I think 1 is my favourite. On 3, I didn't like how my Norns all looked like clowns and had too many buttons they really wanted to press all the time.

You have to do quite a bit of breeding and training to do good wolfing runs.

Though assisted runs are better.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »

That Creatures Full of Edits mod addresses bugs, such as the Button Obsession thing (interestingly, a genetic disorder could lead to that) as well as giving them better logic and memory. Normally, Norns automatically like every other creature they see, while with the mod they treat everything as neutral (meaning they won't stand around and get clobbered to death by a Grendel, and wonder why the thing wont love them). Also, they used to replace old memories and learning with new learning, which made them appear really forgetful and stupid; with the mod they now modify old learning instead of replacing it, so they act more consistently and remember more.

I spent some time digging through the community... the level of hidden depth in that game is almost more interesting than the game itself... but then again, I'm the sort of DF player who runs worlds just to read Legends Mode sometimes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »

Makes me really look forward to that Creatures like game by the same creator...

Forgot what it is called already oddly enough. Hope the open beta comes out this year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7