Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259034 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11670 on: December 29, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »

13th of Moonstone : Contact with the outpost Guildhushes retrieved

Contact with Guildhushes was lost at an unrecorded time last year. The last report made account of an invading force. We are relieved to learn the outpost survived.

A conference with the mayor Nish Showermanor unveiled the events of the past year. An incredible force of 209 individuals from [CLASSIFIED] attacked the outpost. This can only mean that the experimental outpost operation was leaked to the enemy. How, we do not know. But now that they know where we are, appropriate defenses will have to be raised.

Mayor Nish made a detailled report of the confrontation. A grand total of 23 dwarves lost their lives in the sudden attack, 8 of them were trapped outside when he ordered the forceful closing of the outer and inner gates.

They sealed themselves like this for months, until the invaders finally left, driven away by the combined force of the Parasol and Ballpoint caravans. We can't be thankful enough for what they did.

(The invaders left one day before the arrival of the caravan. It lead me to take this as a Ballpoint&Parasol operation to drive them away with their powerful weaponry.)

As of now, life in the outpost is recovering slowly. Corpses are being buried, and defenses are being constructed. If everything go smoothly, they should be done by next summer.

EDIT: Successfully decrypted a titanium alloy smelting datachip ! Problem is, we don't have a datachip to build a refinery, and we don't know how to actually extract titanium.

EDIT2: I discovered some more bugs while testing decrypting. It seems encoded datachips aren't always destroyed as intended. I will need to look this up. Furthermore, discovered some important typos in the raws, again. Everything was corrected.

EDIT3: Can't wait to see how will your outpost go Splint ! Could I be dorfed as a future migrant ? Preferably one with some scientific knowledge :)

Files for anyone who wants it :
Compiled raws :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccgphuz9srt62o4/Spearbreakers%20Mod.zip?dl=0

Pre-installed :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xehqdv112hbawjt/Dwarf%20Fortress%20-%200.42.04%20-%20Spearbreakers.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:58:34 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: December 29, 2015, 11:52:25 pm »

Colonial Report 1-2

The location is rich in cobalt and gold. The former is of little use to us, so far from home. And unfortunately, there is a small problem. Among the trees, we can hear low screeches and see a towering, misshapen... Pair of things. Fischer identified them as megaspawn.

We've begun hastily moving our supplies indoors. I am loath to abandon the surface so soon, but we can't fight those.. Things, right now, if ever. We have the chickens to provide eggs for now, and the horses were put down, due largely to loss of any possible overland pasture and a doubtful prospect of getting them cavern fare before they starve.

-

The beasts have departed as of Felsite, likely because they couldn't scent soft chewable prey through a gabbro brick wall. So far, we have hollowed a simple temple for general worship, a pair of (currently used as storerooms,) barracks, and I have leveled off a space for a trade depot. We were told we would receive relief supplies come autumn, but I doubt they'll give up the supplies for free after almost a month of marching through predator-infested jungle. Thankfully, our ample supply of gold ore will make that a none issue.

We have also found a ready source of ancient weaponry: Obsidian. Due to our current... Situation, Fischer will likely have to content herself with fashioning a sword herself.

The temple has at least improved morale somewhat, as have the beds we turned our wagon into.

Alright, so right off the bat we have a problem. Megaspawn are... Well, megaspawn. Not really smart having those crop up in the wilderness out of the blue. The goal isn't necessarily to make every single biome possible feel like an evil biome or something. HOWEVER! I do fully support it as part of a hard mode version of the mod. Speaking of which, some ideas...

Early-game defence: For the sake of completion, as we can fashion crude crossbows and swords out of the gate from the bowyer and crafts shop, spears, axes, and blunt weapons could be feasible inclusions.

The stones to include would be chert, quarzite, rhyolite, and flint, and buffing these and possibly obsidian to use copper's cutting and blunt-force values, to counter hostile wildlife (particularly degenerates,) and allow for the outfitting of either a very cheap early militia or a desperate mass-conscript force with a full range of weapons by a single craftsdwarf.

Stone maces and hammers obviously, could use any old rock.

Hard Mode: A certain spawn entity plus some of the tougher spawn varieties roaming around, separate from the main mod where they're more limited as either castes of the spawn, or possibly semi/megabeasts. 

Thoughts?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:40 am »

Sounds useful.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: December 30, 2015, 01:17:49 am »

Given that the fort itself is obviously going to be using hardmode, I see little point in differentiating, unless we release the mod separately.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:12 am »

Given that the fort itself is obviously going to be using hardmode, I see little point in differentiating, unless we release the mod separately.
I think we kind of are?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: December 30, 2015, 02:10:10 am »

I'd like to know where you got such information. If other people want that sort of "SPAWN EVERYWHERE APOCALYPSE" then that's fine, but I'd still rather not have that sort of vibe going with the fort itself.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: December 30, 2015, 02:11:35 am »

Weeeeeelllllll.

Okay yeah though...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: December 30, 2015, 02:51:49 am »

This is true.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: December 30, 2015, 02:55:29 am »

I personally am for the Spawn Apocalypse. But I was always biased toward full-fledged destruction :p (I began modding to add some "spice" to my games)

By the way, didn't Spearbreakers had Pitchblende hammers ? I thought they would "naturally" be included to SBII.

As for difficulty control concerning Megaspawns, we have two solutions :
- reduce their apparition frequency. It won't change the current situation much actually.
- put them in the Semi-megabeast/Megabeast ranks. The problem here is that they will always appear alone, but won't appear too early.

EDIT: I'm eager to see your opinion on the current state of Datachips Splint. Are they difficult enough to get and decrypt, or too hard to ? I'm lacking some informations, will get more once my outpost get a baron.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:11:15 am by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: December 30, 2015, 12:14:20 pm »

We'll see once I have one of the tech-carrying caravans arrive. Dunno if it should be necessary to decrypt schematics for stubguns though, seems like a slightly extreme measure if they're decently expensive as it is.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: December 30, 2015, 02:53:00 pm »

I made Stubgun and Chain-tech datachips really cheap actually. Thing is, I expected the caravans to bring a lot more of them.

Why I'm waiting for my barony is because I added a diplomat noble to Ballpoint and Parasol entities. If it is working right, it should allow us to make trade agreements and ask for some datachips.

EDIT: After the yearly autumn siege, Parasol and Ballpoint caravans arrived. And this time, Parasol merchants brought a Refinery datachip !
I was able to built one, but it made me realize a strange bug in the menus of the refinery. Will look this up, and correct it soon.

EDIT2: Ah. Found the problem. It's linked to the "free reactions" I gave to Parasol and Ballpoint.

EDIT3!: Found another typo in the raws. It prevented the production of stubguns ammo, woops !

EDIT4: Suggestion concerning Degenerates : they should be slower, as of now they are olympic runners :( (this is problematic when they begin to flee)

EDIT5!(will it ever end ?): "Interesting" behavior concerning roaming degenerates packs.
It seems degenerates acts according to the "pack group" AI. This means they have a "pack leader" that if caged will stop every other member of the pack from doing anything remotely useful. What I thought of while witnessing this :

Degenerates are cut from the main Hive. So they formed smaller hive-mind-like groups to prevent themselves from turning into unmoving corpses. This resulted in exceptional coordination because of the small numbered groups. They even had a system to counteract the death of the "command node" : if it dies (=stop sending signal), another member become the "command node".
The weakness of this system is if the "command node" is neutralized without being killed, which means it still send a "alive signal" : degenerates will keep waiting for an order, but won't transfer "command node" status because they still receive the "alive signal".

Yeah, I'm having fun. :p

Files for anyone who wants it :
Compiled raws :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccgphuz9srt62o4/Spearbreakers%20Mod.zip?dl=0

Pre-installed :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xehqdv112hbawjt/Dwarf%20Fortress%20-%200.42.04%20-%20Spearbreakers.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:52:10 pm by Nakéen »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:11 pm »

EDIT5!(will it ever end ?): "Interesting" behavior concerning roaming degenerates packs.
It seems degenerates acts according to the "pack group" AI. This means they have a "pack leader" that if caged will stop every other member of the pack from doing anything remotely useful. What I thought of while witnessing this :

Degenerates are cut from the main Hive. So they formed smaller hive-mind-like groups to prevent themselves from turning into unmoving corpses. This resulted in exceptional coordination because of the small numbered groups. They even had a system to counteract the death of the "command node" : if it dies (=stop sending signal), another member become the "command node".
The weakness of this system is if the "command node" is neutralized without being killed, which means it still send a "alive signal" : degenerates will keep waiting for an order, but won't transfer "command node" status because they still receive the "alive signal".

Now that is interesting worldbuilding, I must say.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:43 pm »

+777.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: December 30, 2015, 10:52:28 pm »

I approve.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:52 pm »

Ooh... Now if some group starts capturing degenerate packs to exploit this...

We require !!SCIENCE!! to be done!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 815