Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2258979 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11685 on: December 31, 2015, 12:16:41 am »

I won't lie, I had given serious consideration to making degenerates derped up enough to be "tamed" for use in battle, with the packs operating on what they perceive to be the will of the hive they now occupy (the degenrates recognize they are being accepted into a new "hive," and thus abide by the orders of its residents - and if not kept on a short leash, they may attempt to take over the fortress from what they perceive to be  weak leadership.) While weak compared to a a normal spawn, the capacity to unleash a horde of these warped beings on one's foes would probably be a fun little project.

And of course, both the regular spawn and evil races could potentially show up with degenerate packs if this were the case as well.

Of course I'm also more than willing to see if anyone else had this same thought, since it verges on violation of any sort of common sense. :P

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: December 31, 2015, 12:21:33 am »

Make like a meme and DO IT

Seriously though, that would be so freaking cool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: December 31, 2015, 12:35:11 am »

Make like a meme and DO IT

Seriously though, that would be so freaking cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: December 31, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »

Completely unrelated to the mod, but it's the first time I witness something like this.

A forgotten beast arrived at the fort today, a spider with a poisonous bite. Nothing serious I thought. I still sealed the cavern because we had a Cyclops and Degenerates doing some ruckus above-ground.

Then, after some time I glanced over the caverns, intending to open them to take care of the beast. That's when I saw webs. Webs everywhere. So, I have a web-spitting forgotten beast with a poisonous bite that is not made of glass ? Yis !

I never ever saw a forgotten beast with two special attributes, I suppose this one is because the creature template is that of a spider. I suppose must be new to 0.42.XX, because spider FB I encountered in the past never spewed webs when not stated.

I will devise a trap to contain and study this wonderful specimen. Oh I can't wait !

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11689 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:28 pm »

I know that was true for v40, and likely for v34 and maybe even v31, the version in which randomly genned beasts were added. It's just rather unlikely.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: January 01, 2016, 12:31:43 pm »

Ah, yes. Spider FBs have webs plus whatever attribute they advertise. Been like that since 0.34 at least.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: January 03, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »

Alright, so lack of test updates. There's a reason.

As of this New Year's, I discovered I am not, in fact, a dwarf.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »

Alright, so lack of test updates. There's a reason.

As of this New Year's, I discovered I am not, in fact, a dwarf.

This is too deep.

Testing updates :

I didn't have the occasion to capture the FB. It got killed by another FB that came to join the party :(
So instead of a poisonous mega-spider, I have a flamethrower super-snake.

My trap hallway is finally finished. It's basically a serpentine corridor lined with 670 menacing copper spikes. Ennemies that dodge away will fall into a dry moat, and will have to re-do the hallway. Lot of tetrahedrite sacrificed itself in the process, may they be never forgotten. Its construction killed one dwarf, killed by the minecart repeater :/

Overall, the test is very conclusive. I'm thinking of upping the decrypting chance to 100% because data chips are already very rare. Dem companies don't want to share their technological advantage. I will make the final decision after obtaining barony.
For some reason, my outpost liaison has been delaying its duties for 2 years. He is instead partying in the tavern.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: January 03, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »

Maybe just prevent decryption attempts from destroying the chip? It makes sense, and selling it to other primitive civs afterwards would help recoup your investment.

Can I get a screenshot of the snake's description?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: January 03, 2016, 09:30:21 pm »

The problem with non-destroyable chips with decryption is that it basically means a 100% decryption rate, as you just have to put the job on repeat and the decryption will be done sooner or later. Plus, you will get free exp for the operator :/

The serpent Kusut Eslulkamca "Kusut Menacedream":

His current confinement :

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:36:26 pm by Nakéen »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: January 03, 2016, 09:32:02 pm »

Thanks. :V

Less neat than I thought it might be, but oh well.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: January 03, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »

It's got, like, ritual scar tattoos on...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: January 03, 2016, 09:38:07 pm »

I like it this way, simple but effective. (edited my post with its current "royal suite")

EDIT: Thinking about it, Kusut is basically a fire-breathing skeleton-snake.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:42:48 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: January 05, 2016, 12:15:09 am »

Giant Axe-blade Eagle. Dunno why I wanna see something like that, but blame the raw travesties thread.

Finally resuming testing.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: January 05, 2016, 12:34:18 am »

Giant Axe-blade Eagle. Dunno why I wanna see something like that, but blame the raw travesties thread.

Finally resuming testing.

I love the travesties thread. I would totally be up for a travesties community mod xD

Speaking of Giant Axe-blade Eagle, I thought of something.

During the course of my outpost (currently on year 6), I noticed the first years were really harsh. Of course, my food problems didn't help, but with the degenerates raids and the early sieges (I brought this one upon myself by lowering invasion triggers though), my fort stagnated and suffered.

To counteract this, I'm wondering if modding-in additional trap components would be an acceptable idea (in conjunction with your proposition of rock based weaponry for civilians).
I lack experience with traps, so I would need some opinion. They could be rock-based, and/or stronger than native traps.

I had some additional thought concerning early weaponry. By creating a material that takes cold/heat damage at local temperature, it would be possible to create expandable weapons. I tested this material property once ago with a custom entity to prevent dwarves from using these weapons (the creatures of the entity were naturally cold).
To prevent them from being destroyed while not used, they could be put in a special container upon creation. I never tried this, so I'm not sure if it would work perfectly.

Thoughts ?
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 815