Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61305 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »

I was mostly letting it go, as I do not really care about Jesus nuts, but he is saying this.

Chance of nuts coming off: very small
Chance of dying if they do come off: very high

He insists that the high chance of death in the unlikely event that they do fail makes them poor design, helicopters extremely dangerous, and the helicopter’s creators insane. It is fallacious, as well-designed things are those things that rarely fail, like Jesus nuts, but that is what he seems to be saying. He might have a point if he can find some statistics showing that Jesus nut failures are more common than other fatal aircraft failures, but, as presented, no.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »

I'm saying they have a poor design because they include a keystone component with zero redundancy, which is poor design even if said component is very unlikely to fail. I'm saying that helicopters have an extreme potential danger because of this. The maximum possible amount of danger you can get from a helicopter is very high.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »

I'd rather rely on one easily inspected, highly reliable component to propel me through the air than the dozens and dozens of poorly-maintained, road-grime covered, water-damaged and underengineered components of a car. You think those mechanics actually have your best interests at heart? One of them quoted me $300 to change our leaking oil pan. This consists of removing the oil filter and draining it, taking off a dozen or so bolts, putting a gasket around the new one, and slapping it back on. His excuse? "It's a 3 hour job." It takes two hours for the silicone to seal. What are they doing during those two hours that can qualify as labor?

You can kill thousands, maybe millions of people with one kitchen knife. It's weird and superstitious to be afraid of something because of outliers. Maybe that's the real reason they're calling it the Jesus Nut? =P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2012, 12:34:46 pm »

I'm saying they have a poor design because they include a keystone component with zero redundancy, which is poor design even if said component is very unlikely to fail. I'm saying that helicopters have an extreme potential danger because of this. The maximum possible amount of danger you can get from a helicopter is very high.
The maximum possible danger you can get in from bad shoelaces is extremely high too, but that doesn't mean that shoelaces are a design flaw.

Having redundancy is always good, but if the chance of failure is microscopic (its a bit higher then that in this case, but its still very unlikely to be the cause of any crash), then there isn't really a need for redundancy in that department.

If the chance of death is 90% from human error/environmental conditions, 9.5% from other mechanical failure, and 0.5% from the jesus nut falling out, I don't think its really fair to say that the Jesus nut makes it a bad design when the risk is so tiny. Those numbers are made up on the spot obviously.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:00 pm »

The maximum possible amount of danger you can get from a helicopter is very high.

Isn't this the same for every vehicle traveling over a certain height or at a certain speed, though? o_O It doesn't seem relevant to the bit about nuts.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »

You all are seriously overthinking this. It was just a statement about the danger of a Jesus Nut coming loose. Let it go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2012, 07:13:32 pm »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2012, 09:15:10 pm »

You all are seriously overthinking this. It was just a statement about the danger of a Jesus Nut coming loose. Let it go.
Being wrong is a grievous crime on the Internet, so your appeal means nothing.

Talking smack about helicopters only made it worse.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2012, 01:12:07 am »

Being wrong is a grievous crime on the Internet, so your appeal means nothing.

Talking smack about helicopters only made it worse.

Note to self: Read this thread.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:36 am »

PTW, because this is an interesting discussion.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »

Note to self: Read this thread.
Warning: SCIENCE UP IN HERE

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

Schrodinger's cat is alive? o_O

Well only if you peek a little bit.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2012, 06:23:36 am »

Jesus nuts coming loose are very dangerous. I, for one, wholeheartedly agree with redundant measures to keep them from doing so. Maybe some additional locking pens? Perhaps a better system to keep them secured? Applied heat with a laser to encourage them to stay in place? If worse comes to worse, hitting them on top to deform them if they show any signs of movement.

But how is something prone to failure in a helicopter any worse than the human body? There are so many tiny things that if they fail the whole human body fails, which supports billion of lifeforms, with no real redundancy. It's enough for someone to create some exterior being that people can blame for engineering failures...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2012, 07:07:17 am »

Schrodinger's cat is alive? o_O

Well only if you peek a little bit.
O_o
A little known fact is that Shrödinger's cat is not an example of how Quantum physics works. Shrödinger devised this example to show why he believed The Copenhagen intrepretation of Quantum physics to be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25