Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What attributes/stats are important for adventurers in 0.34.02?  (Read 18268 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: What attributes/stats are important for adventurers in 0.34.02?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:04 pm »

Is there really any point in giving yourself Ambusher when a medium length walk would do the same thing?
Impatience. I don't like to spend large amounts of time sneaking places.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:45:18 pm »

Ive also found high weapons skills will cause you to get a message like "You bat the flying *Copper Bolt* Out of the air!"

More of a bonus than anything, becomes extremely reliabe with legendary fighting and the equipped weapon's skill.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »

What does Observer do?

It helps spot hidden characters according to this:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Observer

But I suspect it also helps in noticing the actions of enemies during combat. In other words there is a severe penalty to getting stabbed in the back in combat (I had a guy get one-shotted from behind yesterday), and I suspect observer may help you avoid those little surprises. It’s just a guess, but getting shot from across a room may need an observation check to be passed first before you get a chance to block the bolt with a shield.

Also many of the bolts I blocked were fired from the black unexplored area, and observer may have helped me see it coming.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:03:16 am by Felgar »

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »

One change I've noticed is that my human adventurers are a LOT faster in this version. I've seen between 1450 and 2000 speed, every single time (maxed agility, btw). Whereas in 0.31, I'd only get speeds like that if I was playing an elf.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »

Higher observation makes you more likely to spot weapon traps, as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nate101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:45 pm »

What does Observer do?

From what I know, observer decreases the chance of ambushes. So a skilled observer will encounter fewer ambushes than a dabbling one.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:01 am »

i have not seen fewer ambushes. but i have noticed something.

i get stopped more by 'you feel uneasy' the higher my observer skill is. which as you may know is the same thing as an ambush but coming out of travel prior to blundering into it.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 02:22:40 am »

I kind of wish these things were a bit more transparent.

Toady knows the answers, yet we've been blundering around with the same questions for years now.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:21 am »

Tombs are pretty well trapped.  Haven't checked, but "L"ooking should depend on/train observer.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:35 am »

To quote ze wiki:
Body
Strength - Alters the damage done in melee, increases muscle mass (thicker muscle layer also resists damage more), and increases how much a creature can carry. Increasing strength, at least in adventurers, increases movement speed (albeit not as much as agility) due to better carrying capacity.
Agility - This attribute is directly related to a character's Speed and is also used in combat skills.
Toughness - Reduces physical damage. Also relates to defensive combat skills.
Endurance - Reduces the rate at which the adventurer becomes exhausted. Used in Wrestling.
Recuperation - Increases the rate of wound healing. Not as important as Toughness. Recuperation isn't that useful in adventurer mode since you usually have as much time to rest as you need assuming you can escape a situation alive.
Disease Resistance - Reduces the risk of disease. It isn't clear how useful this currently is in adventurer mode.
Strength, Agility, and Toughness are the Body attributes that most impact combat skills, and Endurance to a lesser extent.
Soul
Some of these are useful for adventure-mode-applicable skills, but some are totally useless.
Analytical Ability - Useful for certain crafting skills, the only one currently being Knapping.
Focus - Affects Archer, Ambusher, Observer.
Willpower - Fighter, Crutch Walker, Swimmer, and helps resist pain effects such as those caused by chipped bones.
Creativity - Currently completely useless in adventure mode. Normally it impacts crafting skills.
Intuition - Only helps with Observer.
Patience - Currently useless.
Memory - Records more of previously traveled areas when you return to them. Deletes all memory when you travel.
Linguistic Ability - Currently useless because adventurers don't have social skills.
Spatial Sense - Important. Affects combat skills, Ambusher, Crutch Walker, Swimmer, Observer, Knapping.
Musicality - Completely useless as of yet.
Kinesthetic Sense - Important. Combat skills, Crutch Walker, Swimming, Knapping,
Empathy - Might increase chance of persuading people to Join you.Verify
Social Awareness - Increases the number of followers you can have at a given "fame" level. Normally you start with a limit of two. Increasing this stat by one level raises that to three.

From http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Adventurer_mode
*Its still from DF2010 though, becouse ze 34.02 version hasnt been writen about.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:43 am »

Also, a number of the 'Soul' attributes are no longer dump stats. IIRC, the ones that are still irrelevant are Musicality, Linguistic Ability, and Patience, though I may be wrong on that.

I habitually dump my empathy to low or very low. Adventurers are all sociopaths, afterall.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:17:59 am by Dwarfoloid »

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:00 pm »

Linguistic Ability - Currently useless because adventurers don't have social skills.

Does linguistic ability not effect your ability to read? Of course if you could take points out of linguistic ability but still make reading skill good enough to let you read it wouldn't matter, I guess.

edit: I forgot to actually quote Meistermoxx, and just pasted what he said. fixed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:07:08 pm by truckman1 »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »

More of a bonus than anything, becomes extremely reliabe with legendary fighting and the equipped weapon's skill.

It's not simply a bonus in this version. If you're planning on playing something other than a demi-god, those "batting arrows out of the air" events are mana from heaven. Seriously, the archers are so ridiculous in this version, you're not taking more than 2 arrows with anything short of high+ toughness without being a crippled, unconscious mess. It can make it very difficult to get an adventurer started when you're getting 1-shot by archers from beyond your visual range.

So yeah. Anything that's going to get you arrow defense would be good to invest in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

Also, a number of the 'Soul' attributes are no longer dump stats. IIRC, the ones that are still irrelevant are Musicality, Linguistic Ability, and Patience, though I may be wrong on that.

I habitually dump my empathy to low or very low. Adventurers are all sociopaths, afterall.
Unless you want to die from acute chivalry, i.e., saving your companions from that dragon instead of using that time to run.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

I find it funny how people complain when dwarf fortress gets more realistic (i.e. bolts piercing armor in adv) and don't complain when things get less realistic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5