Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Goodbye Vector  (Read 32806 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Vector
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2012, 12:12:14 am »

And now I've managed to make myself look like a complete stalker... again.  *sigh*

I have a very strong talent for doing things that inadvertently make me look creepy.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:55 am »

It's an interesting thing that virtually every gesture of adoration is also a gesture of creepy obsession. No, I don't actually have a point to make, why?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2012, 12:35:06 am »

Its ok Bauglir, if you want to come out and say something, I won't think it is creepy at all... Anything? To any one of us, maybe? Not hinting or anything...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:05 am »

In my case I don't think it's ever been acts of adoration so much as me just making statements, or taking actions, or being seen in positions that are just outwardly creepy.

Like saying, "hey you can actually look up all the posts someone has made if you just go to this page."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:21 am »

I don't mind y'all reading my posts here--not at all.  I mind your doing a textdump and putting it on the internet somewhere where I can't find it without asking me first.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2012, 12:52:26 am »

In my case I don't think it's ever been acts of adoration so much as me just making statements, or taking actions, or being seen in positions that are just outwardly creepy.

Like saying, "hey you can actually look up all the posts someone has made if you just go to this page."
And now I've managed to make myself look like a complete stalker... again.  *sigh*

I have a very strong talent for doing things that inadvertently make me look creepy.
Don't worry, you didn't look creepy, they were referring to the post before yours.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

I don't mind y'all reading my posts here--not at all.  I mind your doing a textdump and putting it on the internet somewhere where I can't find it without asking me first.

Going to go register "www.VectorAndGoats.com" right now.

Once again, G-Flex, joke.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2012, 01:01:25 am »

Welp.  If this is your last night here, this is final goodbye then, I guess.  Heading home in a few minutes and probably won't be back online until a couple hours from now.  It's been awesome, Vector.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:37 am »

Not quite.

I'm going to see how the game ends, and I still haven't set my new email address up... that will probably be tomorrow morning.

*sigh*

I'm really a lot sadder about this than I thought I would be.  I'll miss all of you so much.  But still, it's a good thing that life is long... and whenever I'm traveling on my own, I'll definitely send by a message, just in case.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2012, 01:07:44 am »

Yeah that'd be pretty much on par with a Vector shrine in one's closet.

Anyway, good luck to ye! May the road to greatness be strewn with sharp and pointy rocks, so that when you reach the end you'll have the toughest damn feet in the world, the better to kick the metaphorical ass of ignorance with. Also, so that you'll have worn the rocks down before I get anywhere near there. >__________>

It's been awesome having you about. I'll miss you, but all the same, I'll probably still be here when you get back unless we turn into VN and Toady just axes the entire lower boards or something. That probably won't happen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2012, 01:10:40 am »

I've had many great internet friends come and go.  It's always sad, but it's part of life moving on.  So much to explore.  There are millions of interesting people to know and micro-communities with their own unique atmospheres.  Plus, it's the internet.  I don't know if I'll still be hanging out here a year or two from now.  I tend to settle down in places like this for a year or two at a time, and then quietly fade away.  But I will always be SalmonGod and easy to find, for anyone so inclined.  I stick with the name just for that reason.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:49 am »

Haha, I actually feel kind of like I'm dying, just like I sort of felt like I died when I graduated from high school, and when I dropped out of school.  You know... all kinds of people trying to ease your passage as you sink back down into the water from which you came, nameless, trying to make sense of the light playing on the surface as all the images of the people and things you love fade.

When I was younger, I used to think about that sort of thing a lot.

Sorry for being so emo.  This represents an end of a certain way of living for me.  I have no idea what it'll free up for me, and I have no idea as to where I'll go from here.  Some part of me is saying in desperation that I should go get multiple PhDs (or read the collective words of Nietzsche, etc.).  And some part of me is just confused...

Oh, well.  Life goes on, right?  Even after the parts that are like dying.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:54 am »

Hey, well, at least your rebirth into the next life is going to be fucking spectacular. However it plays out, and I do mean to indicate any outcome you'd pursue, you're gonna make phoenixes look like amateurs, that's for sure.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2012, 01:47:33 am »

Instead of fire and tears, there will be glory and maths.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:53 am »

And fire, if we can get Kael to do the special effects. But now I'm getting silly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14