Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Goodbye Vector  (Read 32788 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Vector
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:25 am »

Are we working with a split timeline, or a self for filling time loop?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:33 am »

It's a shame your inclusion of a comma technically removes ambiguity, but I'm still going to reply "Yes."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:58 am »

MY COMMAS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!!!
Gotta love that typing perk, what with the commas everywhere and obscene use of ellipsis...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »

An infinite number of self replicating split timelines involving stable time loops held together by garlic tea and kendo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »

I'll be sorry to see you go, Vector, but I'm sure you'll be back at some point. And I imagine I'll have a Mafia game waiting for you when you get back. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »

Vector doesn't leave the forum, she goes off on a quest to return far more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to define grad school.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »

Vector doesn't leave the forum, she goes off on a quest to return far more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to define grad school.
...when you put it that way, I feel even more of a failure after coming out of grad school and going back to the same kind of work I was doing beforehand.  :-\

Obviously, the people in this Mafia game that's holding her here are trying to drag the game out as long as possible, right? RIGHT?  ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2012, 02:50:23 pm »

The game is already over as far as I am aware.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

Well now I am disappoint. Ah well, probably best for her if we let her go crush her studies like the puny numbers they are.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »

Before anyone asks, my new avatar is bread and salt--an ancient Russian symbol of hospitality, good will, and generosity.

My password's changed and been hidden somewhere I won't look until I graduate (but will look into afterwards with probability one).  BYOR8 has ended.  I've sent out an email address to everyone who wanted it (but guys, please send me an email there so I can get your data if you want me to be able to contact you later, when I've finally checked my inbox and stuff.  I'm not going to be able to come back and rifle through PMs and all that).

So, here we are.  I wish you the greatest joy, courage, honor, compassion, and success... may you find devotion and humility as you need them and both pride and the peace of mind to let the world go as necessary.  May your enemies and friends alike find the same, your family and neighbors, your loved ones and countrymen--for if we must struggle and live together, let it be with good human beings.

Whoever you are, and whoever you really are, I wish you well.  It's been great.

And, to cheapen my ending message as much as possible (or maybe just make you groan), I'm going to pass on my own parting music -- The Best is Yet to Come.

Oh, okay okay, you wanted some country music.  Well, here's Man of Constant Sorrow and Gotta Travel On.

... Well, maybe two more?  What a Wonderful World and, of course, Times, They are a Changin'.

Godspeed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »

\o/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:00 pm »

Farewell to you too, Vector. It's been a pure pleasure having you here.

...And don't forget to lock the Progg Rage thread before you go.
Love, scriver~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »

Farewell to you too, Vector. It's been a pure pleasure having you here.

...And don't forget to lock the Progg Rage thread before you go.
Or just ask someone to Mod it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

I don't really like goodbye threads, since they kind of make it hard for the person who people say bye to return or leave, for sentimental reasons. And they're kind of depressing. But it would be sad to lose another active member around here :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:22 pm »

Godspeed.

I always wondered, is this fast? Or slow? Does anybody know the speed of godspeed? And does it even matter? If not then how come it is considered positive by default? Suppose god is really slow, he might even still have a hangover from the whole world creation thing! I find this most inconsiderate of you.

Eitherway, I am unconvinced god and speed will help anybody regardless, but thank you and then a 100mb to you.

Also, please succeed in everything you want to do.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14