Poll

What to do now?

Change something
- 0 (0%)
Playtest
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: *Update* Alpha version ruleset of "Adamantine" the forum ccg  (Read 11839 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
*Update* Alpha version ruleset of "Adamantine" the forum ccg
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:05 pm »

Like I said I made an alpha version of the rules, that includes more or less, most suggested features, and tweaked it to make mechanics and flavour a coherent whole.

Note that further discussion should criticise the rules that are posted right now, or propose changes to it.
I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this ruleset, as well as on the actual wording, because I have a feeling the text is iffy, and some explanation will be in order.

Well, I included things proposed by webadict (One hero that can change itself, as well as making the death of hero the end of the game), and RAM (Maybe it's very butchered, but Fortresses didn't fit the premise I wanted to acheive, which was Heroes fighting monsters, rather than two fortresses fighting each other, because that was too close to Dwarf: the Hammering)

In the end I had to make some decisions, that were discussed and pointed out as bad, because I thought they do actually fit together. Except combat. I would change it at the drop of a hat. I made the mechanics of drawing like this, because I knew that this game needs to end in 7 turn maximum.

I don't really have more to say other than the fact I'll be waiting to for people to point out things that are stupid, and change them. I'll also need to make a set of cards, and an introductory/example game.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:27:41 pm by Rooster »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting all for a new ccg project forum game
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »

ADAMANTINE
In the age of myth, gods themselves battled demons for the control over the world. Many demon lords were cast into separate adamantine prisons, in order to prevent them from escaping, a powerfull spell was cast. The demons that wish to escape possess powerfull champions and send them to retrieve other demon's souls. Only when a demon acquires his rival's soul can he escape the prison. But your rival won't just give it up freely, and wil send a champion of his own. That's why demons lure mortals with the promise of adamantine to build settlements and dungeons over their very demonic prisons. Should the possessed champion fall in one of your elaborate traps, it would make wrestling control of his soul very easy, and would open the path to world domination

Card types:
In the hero deck:
Possessed champion - your unique hero, that needs to be protected at all costs
Item - Items enchancing the hero and giving him abilities
Feat - Abilities for the hero to use
Class, with the prestige class subtype - Passive bonuses. Prestige classes have prerequisites to have other classes first.
Ally - Heroes recruited by the Champion or creatures summoned or charmed

In the dungeon deck:
Trap - an obstacle that challenges heroes abilities
Monster - a threat for the hero
Event - Bad luck, special encounters and so on.

Resources: All hero cards have 2 values: Gold value and Danger level.
Gold - gold is used by champions to trade for items. Recruit allies, train feats, and gain levels.
Danger level - used to indicate how dangerous obstacles the hero faces. After all a lowly peasant won't encounter any dragons at the start of his career. Danger level of the player is determined by adding all danger values on all his Hero cards together.

Rules of the game: At the start shuffle both decks (Hero deck of 60 cards and Dungeon deck of 60 cards). Before shuffling the Hero deck choose one Possessed champion card and one basic class card and put them in play. If he dies, you loose.

Game start:
The game is divided into 2 phases: Day phase where hero cards are played and used, and Night phase, where dungeon cards are played and used.

Day phase: In the first day phase draw a hand of 6 hero cards and put any card that costs less or equal to 5 gold into play. Any following day you draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

In this phase you can perform these actions:
Play cards
Move your champion into a dungeon room
Search, but only if there are no rooms that can be moved into
Possess another champion

Playing day cards: Hero, or day cards, are played by paying the required amount of gold for that card, by sacrificing cards already in play. For example you play the Buckler card (2 gold) by sacrificing Shortsword card (2 gold) already in play. As an alternative, beating dungeon cards often lets you play cards from your hand by paying for their gold cost.

Moving into a dungeon room: Choose one of your opponent's dungeon rooms and flip all face down cards and face up, then execute combat (If there is at least one monster) and/or a skill check (If there is at least one trap)

Search: If no room for exploration is availble then roll a d6 and your opponent has to draw that many cards from their dungeon deck and put them into the discard pile

Possess: You can sacrifice your champion and instead of loosing the game put another one from your hand in his place. All classes, prestige classes, and feats are discarded with the sacrificed champion.

Combat: Choose one statistic and roll a d6. Those two values combined are your damage. Divide it as you choose among the monsters that you are fighting, and if any are left alive they deal damage to you equal to their damage value.

Skill check: Roll one d6 and add the value of one statistic that the trap says. If the value after modification is higher than the value of the trap, and it is a succesfull check. A failed check is one that has a lower value than the value of the trap. A trap card indicates what happens in the case of success or failure

Night phase:
Discard all unplayed cards, and draw a new hand of 6 at the beginning of the turn. If there are no cards in the deck for you to draw you loose.

In this phase you can perform these actions:
Create a dungeon room
Create a random encounter

Creating a room:
Denizens above your prison have created a dangerous room in attempt to lure and kill the invaders. In order to create a room put any amount of cards face down in one pile. When the opponent chooses to explore that room flip all the cards face up. Events resolve now, combat happens and then a skill check for the traps. If a Champion doesn't succed in killing all the monsters and disarming, or detecting all the traps then those cards remain as a room for later exploration. You can have multiple rooms at the same time. For example you can have three rooms, one with a bugbear and a goblin, another with a spear trap and a displacer beast, and a third one with only the spear trap. However if a room is flipped over and it's combined danger value of all cards is higher than the danger value of the opponent, then one or more cards go to the discard pile to make the danger level of the room equal or lower than the danger value of the opponent.

Creating a random encounter:
Roll a d6. You can play this many monster or event cards this turn to create a room that your opponent goes into in your turn. Combat happens and event cards are triggered.

Winning the game:
Winning is done by searching the dungeon throughly by your hero, and finding the entrance to your rival's adamantine prison, or by killing your rival on his way to your prison
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:17:22 pm by Rooster »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:26:07 pm »

reserved2

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:04:13 pm »

Sure, I'll help!

Right-o! Let's start at the top then.

What's the goal of the game?

I mean, we have several things: Beat your opponent(s), survive, etc.

I think beating your opponent is probably the easiest one. So, I'll start at that.

If there's two decks--those being Dungeon and Hero--then sort out which items go in each deck.

Dungeon:
Monsters: Something for the enemy Hero to fight.
Traps: Something to harm or impede the enemy Hero.

Hero:
Items: Something for your Hero to use.
Spells: Something for your Hero to cast.
Classes/Races: Something for your Hero to be.
Feats: Something for your Hero to be able to do.

We do NOT want to mix Dungeon and Hero types, so we should decide what those types are now, and work with it. If a particular type COULD be in both, then it should be split into two different types. Hero cards should be different from Dungeon cards.

How's this for a start?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:04 pm »

Beating your opponent is the most straightforward. But how is that done? I'd suggest that you beat your opponent by either getting to the end of their dungeon first, or killing their hero in your dungeon.

But what do we define as the end of the dungeon, is it just emptying the dungeon deck, or is there a specific thing our hero has to do in the dungeon to win?

And how do we define killing the hero? Does the hero have life points? Or do we kill them by emptying the hero deck?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:18:55 pm »

I think there should be hit points a la Pokemon.
Hero decks could have more than one 'PC' card ...

Also, each turn should draw from both.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:37 pm »

Beating your opponent is the most straightforward. But how is that done? I'd suggest that you beat your opponent by either getting to the end of their dungeon first, or killing their hero in your dungeon.

But what do we define as the end of the dungeon, is it just emptying the dungeon deck, or is there a specific thing our hero has to do in the dungeon to win?

And how do we define killing the hero? Does the hero have life points? Or do we kill them by emptying the hero deck?
All good points. Maybe if your opponent runs out of Dungeon cards, you win, as a standard Deck Out option. This would be simply "beating" the opponent's Dungeon. The other option should be running out of Health, which your Hero should have. It should have a default value, say something like 10. If you run out, you die, and it's Game Over. You can always replenish it with items or spells, like a Potion or Cure Light Wounds.

So, there should be a limit on your Dungeon deck, so that you cannot have infinite cards. Say, something along the lines of 30-60 cards.

These both sound like good game enders to me. Kill your opponent's Hero, die, beat your opponent's Dungeon, or have him beat yours. One of these are bound to happen, and at that point, the game will end in someone's favor.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »

Flavor:
Roguelike tronsformed into a ccg. Based on Original Rogue, DF adventure mode, IVAN, ADOM, and NetHack

No Crawl?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »

Webadict: Yes the most straightforward way to "win" is to beat the opponent, in this case, the hero beating the dungeon in some kind of way. Nethack and rogue both estabilish this by retrieving the amulet of yendor and reaching the top, and ADOM makes you go to the bottom and at least pull the lever. So I guess winning is estabilished by the first Hero to reach the bottom of the dungeon by making the opponent dungeon deck draw the last card. And by this you hit the jackpot. Although as a standard roguelike option I would say, the loss of HP is not the end of the game. Your hero died big deal. Play a new one. Although playing with only one hero could be duable but somehow tweaked insted of only 10 hp. The hero is bound to face some nasty traps anyway!

I think both decks should be 60 cards. It's the standard these days.

Skyrunner: Agreed, but on the hero card rather than a global variable. After all a Dwarf fighter is tougher than a human wizard. Yes drawing from both decks is a good idea.

Weirdsound: Never played Stone Soup, only Plain Crawl, but it does belong in there so why not

Kashyyk: Good questions and I think we have them covered for now

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »

@Rooster

Yes, I was saying that you should have damage tokens on the hero card. This also allows you to 'ready' heroes in case your 'active' hero dies.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:56:32 pm »

If we go multiple heroes or draw out though it could be too long. May I suggest that a "Forbidden Amulet" card be put somewhere in the dungeon deck, and when it's put out and all other dungeon cards are gone it's a win?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »

The active hero dying makes game not last forever. I think it's a nice limiter, so you don't have to play for an hour for one game.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:12:15 pm »

Well... If we borrow from 'Pokemon', a certain number of heroes dying should end the game...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:24 pm »

I'm not against raising the health of a Hero, but I'm really going around the "You only live once" message that roguelikes bring. I feel like it makes more sense to have a single Hero going through a Dungeon and fighting than a reincarnating or a band of them that just switch out. Pokemon makes sense like that, as you only have six Pokemon, but this game is about you, the Hero, fighting through the opponent's Dungeon single-handedly.

If you revive, then there is no way to lose, because you continue to draw cards. You will always draw a card, so you keep playing until... deck out. One life is easy to balance. You either live or you die... unless you're some sort of undead, in which case it's a bit confusing.

It doesn't make sense to have 5 ragtag adventurers take turns dying. Adding more as you go might be an option, but let's start small for now, and make death a loss.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

If we have this sort of system:

Items: Something for your Hero to use.
Spells: Something for your Hero to cast.
Classes/Races: Something for your Hero to be.
Feats: Something for your Hero to be able to do.

... then the 'races' part of Classes/Races will have to be done away with.

Additionally, if we assume roguelike difficulty, winning the game is much much easier with Dungeon cards than with Hero cards, simply because you get live/die with Heroes. Dungeons have some 60 chances to stop a hero. A hero will also keep on being hurt during the whole dungeon. Dungeons don't (presumably.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6