Poll

What to do now?

Change something
- 0 (0%)
Playtest
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: *Update* Alpha version ruleset of "Adamantine" the forum ccg  (Read 11840 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Recruiting all for a new ccg project forum game
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »

Why are you talking to me? O_o

I did not propose the idea.
I don't even support it o_o I just said that if Rooster wants to mill, they should be separate decks.

I want the Resources idea. I especially like the one with the DF references.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »

What's to stop me from continually playing only healing cards until my opponent decks out?
If you can manage enough healing, nothing. But there's a catch: You probably won't be drawing many dungeon cards. If your opponent can clear all your active dungeon cards, you're going to have to pick up a huge stack to get to the next one.

Milling is such a bad idea.

Case and point: I draw a card on the first turn that takes 15 Resources to play but basically destroys my opponent.
Your idea: Discard the top 15 cards to destroy your opponent. Laugh as he is utterly decimated because it is the first turn.
My idea: Take several turns to build up the necessary amount of Resources while simultaneously having to defend and attack your opponent. About 10 turns later, have the necessary Resources to play the card. By that time, your opponent has adequately prepared defenses.

The reason Resources are used is because you don't automatically start with the ability to play the best cards.
...what? There's been some serious miscommunication here. I never said anything about milling yourself in order to use cards. Milling is what happens when you take damage. Get hit by an orc for [Physical 3]? You get milled for 3. And playing big cards early on is restricted. You play power cards, one per turn, and the power cards you have in play limit what cards you can have on the field. [Edit: Oh, milling as a cost was evilcherry's idea. NM.]
Thinking about things, there is the issue that "draw as many cards as you want" removes a lot of randomness from the game, which isn't really a good thing. But the hero side of the game has a ton of built-in card advantage over the dungeon side, since dungeon cards are discarded when defeated and hero cards in play are only occasionally discarded, so without a mechanic to bring it back into some semblance of balance, the game is unworkable. (Being able to draw as many cards as you want does the job nicely, since it makes card advantage largely meaningless.) I suppose that might be one reason to have two decks - it lets you draw lots of dungeon cards while restricting hero card draw. I really don't like the two decks thing, though. It's clunky and overcomplicated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:46:14 pm by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 07:06:04 pm »

I've put together a bunch of example cards - enough that people could make decks and try it out, although I'm sure the balance is way off. Probably needs some higher-end cards, too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:19 pm »

^^^ It's best if you use <tt> instead of <code>, because some browsers don't format <code> correctly.

..Including mine.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

I've put together a bunch of example cards - enough that people could make decks and try it out, although I'm sure the balance is way off. Probably needs some higher-end cards, too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Update* Alpha version ruleset of "Adamantine" the forum ccg
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:41 pm »

Well I'll do some stats :D

Spoiler: Treasure Room (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Horde of Rats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dragon-Kin (click to show/hide)

Will work on more!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:50:18 pm by adwarf »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »

May I suggest ambusher as a class?

It would be low on fight but wouldn't be able to be attacked by monsters.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »

:Rules:
Okay, issue:
Can you explore more than one room a turn? If not, then if you play second, and you can keep your hero alive, you win. Just spam low-danger rooms such that you never have less than two at the start of your opponent's turn. He won't be able to clear them all out, so he won't be able to search, so there's no way for him to mill your dungeon deck and he'll run out of cards first.
If you can search more than one room a turn, there's a different problem. Keeping your hero at 0 danger becomes a game-breaking strategy, since you can explore every room, and never fight anything. Victory then goes to whoever rolls better when milling.
You really can't let the hero dictate the dungeon's danger level. There needs to be pressure on the hero to keep up with the advancing difficulty.

Also, everything else aside, putting whoever plays first on a ten-turn timer before he loses is a terrible idea.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »

I'm sticking with Vanigo for the time being. CCGs are meant to be played within a short timeframe, so unless you have a very good reason, you should not introduce extra complexity, fiddliness and randomness (that you can never manage) into it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »

I think that to limit complexity people should not have to count things or generate additional randomness. So if something accrues, have tokens, you can just add or remove them from on top of a card and so long as there are not significant points, such as a limit or a minimum usage amount, and you could go up to about five for some sort of ability cost. So, say every dwarf costs booze per turn, and every still adds it, well, you just have a pile of booze tokens, and at the start of each turn you methodically go through your stills, adding booze to your pile, and then go through your dwarves, taking it away. It may be a little fiddly, but should be fairly simple. Having random values means that you have to reference something, maybe all random effects are the same, you roll a 5 or 6 then the listed effect happens, otherwise it doesn't, well that is pretty simple, but if you start having tables for individual effects, or multiple effect modifying the result of the roll, then dice rolls can get a bit colourful...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »

it is what through the ages is. you only have a few things to check each turn(pop/happiness, resource/corruption, science, points, and command allowances). mechanically its only step by step but the game is very heavy as a result.

I can see booze and overcrowdedness as racial mechanics, but not base.

p.s. though if this is an Euro, it will look very Rosenberg-ish. Good place to start, really.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:41:34 am by evilcherry »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]