Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879279 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5250 on: September 21, 2013, 03:29:10 pm »

Except that leather clothes will rot away. I could of course mod clothes so that they don't rot, but that requires a world regen.
Clothes rot. Armour doesn't. Dwarves not in a squad will not wear armour.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: September 21, 2013, 07:27:17 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, just had my 3rd wave of immigrants, currently at 17 dwarfs and the immigrant wave is 28(!!!) more.  I think I've got trouble here.  What is a quick sure-fire way to make sure I can get food / drink for all these folks?  My little plump helmet farm may not cut it (plus with the problem I'm having of my dwarves hiding the plump helmet spawn bag all over my fortress for no known reason I may not be able to keep up).

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: September 21, 2013, 07:32:02 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, just had my 3rd wave of immigrants, currently at 17 dwarfs and the immigrant wave is 28(!!!) more.  I think I've got trouble here.  What is a quick sure-fire way to make sure I can get food / drink for all these folks?  My little plump helmet farm may not cut it (plus with the problem I'm having of my dwarves hiding the plump helmet spawn bag all over my fortress for no known reason I may not be able to keep up).

Do you have any surface farms as well, or is it all plump helmets? You can send some herbalists to gather plants on the surface, if your surroundings are calm enough. Plus it would give some of your idlers something to do.

How about livestock? If you have some spare animals around you can butcher some. Or have your militia hunt some wildlife, if you have one.

Finally, tallow, which is made from fat at a kitchen, can be used to cook meals with. Though tallow cannot be eaten raw.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »

Thanks, just curious, about when should I expect some threats?  I followed the newb guides and am in an absurdly safe biome.  My wealth is still very low (I think), 20,000.  And I just passed my first winter and it is spring.  I've been slowly shoving everything downstairs and am starting to reshape my fortress into something different than just what the guides said. I only have my butcher out at the entrance beyond my drawbridge (heard this helps avoid miasma). 

a) With my pasture outside, will they take / slaughter all my livestock?  (And, I don't have much dirt inside so I've been reading up on a bucket brigade to make some mud do I need to find cave moss or floor fungus or will it just grow? How long does it take?)

b) Will outside walls keep out most attackers?  I was going to build a death hallway outside with my outdoor farm / pastures on either side.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: September 21, 2013, 11:26:35 pm »

Thanks, just curious, about when should I expect some threats?  I followed the newb guides and am in an absurdly safe biome.  My wealth is still very low (I think), 20,000.  And I just passed my first winter and it is spring.  I've been slowly shoving everything downstairs and am starting to reshape my fortress into something different than just what the guides said. I only have my butcher out at the entrance beyond my drawbridge (heard this helps avoid miasma). 

a) With my pasture outside, will they take / slaughter all my livestock?  (And, I don't have much dirt inside so I've been reading up on a bucket brigade to make some mud do I need to find cave moss or floor fungus or will it just grow? How long does it take?)

b) Will outside walls keep out most attackers?  I was going to build a death hallway outside with my outdoor farm / pastures on either side.

Any above ground (non-underground) tile where an item could rot in, or where the Butcher's shop is located where the butchering happens will not cause miasma to spread.
> Outside walls keep out all attackers. Unless you count flying attackers. It's in the unit pathing.
> If there is any passage to a pasture outside of a fortified or walled in area which is open to enemies, then yes. They will slaughter and kill your livestock.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: September 21, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »

a) I don't have much dirt inside so I've been reading up on a bucket brigade to make some mud do I need to find cave moss or floor fungus or will it just grow?

Moss/fungus will start growing on subterranean soil (any sand/silt/clay/loam tile that has the subterranean attribute when loo(k)ed at) once you have found a cavern layer. I'm not sure if things will grow on mud naturally, but you can place farms on mud, even if the ground under the mud is rock.

Unless you are on a mountainous biome, there should be a layer or two of soil. Try channeling out a soil-y area, and use the area as a pasture once grass starts to grow on it.

Already been answered, but yes, walls will keep out attackers unless there is a path that they can get around.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: September 22, 2013, 04:27:53 am »

goblins don't start showing their face untill after the 2nd winter. It's just snatchers at first though and there is no completely reliable way to predict ambushes and sieges. It may take a couple of years, or happen fast. Only zombie attacks can happen already after the first winter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:07 am »

The wiki page on tree farms says that if you dig out underground soild (or muddied rock presumably) intended for use as underground pastures as "Up stairs" you can prevent trees & shrubs, butt the cave moss will only grow "sparsely", meanwhile the page on pasturage lists minimal pasture sizes (per individual) for grazers, without mentioning how "sparse" foliage can affect this.

Can anyone offer a rule-of-thumb for how much larger I should make my pastures if I'm going to use the stairs trick?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: September 22, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »

animals in a large pasture act retarded and stick to the top/top left of the pasture and will starve anyway, you need to manually relocate them regularly. Otherwise, iirc, the densest grass has 4 portions of food for grazers while sparse grass holds 1, so 3x or 2x as large keeping in mind the regular pasture has scrubs and trees?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: September 22, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »

Grazers in a pasture will gravitate towards the top-left tile, but they're quite willing to spread out looking for food.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: September 22, 2013, 01:45:09 pm »

Question regarding walling an outside area in.  If I start my wall where it shows in the image, will attackers just be able to run down the hill above me and get in? or is the hill that I dug my fortress into considered a wall as well?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: September 22, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »

Question regarding walling an outside area in.  If I start my wall where it shows in the image, will attackers just be able to run down the hill above me and get in? or is the hill that I dug my fortress into considered a wall as well?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes because of the upright ramps inside your walls, they can walk in from the higher z level. Mine thos away using remove upstairs/ramp) and the area should be secure from ground invaders.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »

@Garath: I am under the impression that only giving each grazer it's own pasture should ameliorate the top/left problem somewhat.

@Oddible:
You need to designate the ramps, either inside or outside your wall, for removal too, otherwise the gobbos will be able to run up the hill, past your wall & down again.

However if they can get up the hill, even if they can't walk into your fort, some may fall in, & bowgoblins will be able to shoot down at you.

Also, if you don't roof over the area inside the wall, Flyers will be able to get in (& roofing also eliminates the other problems mentioned above).

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: September 22, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »

Also, if you don't roof over the area inside the wall, Flyers will be able to get in (& roofing also eliminates the other problems mentioned above).

Thanks both.  Follow up question.  If I roof in my outside area then won't that change it to an inside area? Can I still a) grow surface crops, and b) avoid miasma with my butcher?

Additional question: My wood chopping complete stopped.  Checked my designation and I still had the area designated as Chop Trees.  However, something happened and there was no chopping (regrowth maybe?).  I redesignated and now I have chopping going on again.  Do I have to redesignate every year?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: September 22, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »

Thanks both.  Follow up question.  If I roof in my outside area then won't that change it to an inside area? Can I still a) grow surface crops, and b) avoid miasma with my butcher?
I'm fairly certain you can still do both those things.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 422