Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879286 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5220 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:13 pm »

BINS

Bins are buggy. For some reason military dwarves won't take equipment from them. I try to keep my forts bin free, any I end up with are sold to traders.

As for bones, the problem is only with raw bones. Armour and bolts and any other post-processed bone items work normally. The bug with bones is that when used in moods, decorations, and custom reactions, the entire pile is used up. They are subtracted normally when used to create crafts, bolts, and armours. However, because of an issue with how the array counts bones in a stack it is possible for there to be a stack of 0 bones left over from crafting.

These are easy to see, because they won't have a number next to their name. I avoid using bones as much as possible for this reason. If I do need bones, I just keep a few stacks forbidden in case of a mood. Though if you have a surplus of animals, the only real problem is dealing with the stacks of 0 bones.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:12 am »

At least they put the 0<1 'stacks' of bone in a different refuse pile, I just empty that refuse pile whenever I want. When it happens with thread, you kind of have to hunt them out.

Anyways, it's only the marksdwarves that have issues with bins as far as military goes. I also read on the wiki through a reddit link that hauling bolts around in bins seems to cause issues sometimes.

Also, they don't always fill the quivers to the max of 20, any idea what's up with that? Sometimes they fill to 15, sometimes 20.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »

only that it must have been changed, because I've seen dwarves with 25 bolts (metal bolt stacks) and even more, the most being 41 in a mix of metal and bone but mostly bone. Check how many bolts are assigned to the squad and make it at least 50 per squad member
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

derpindave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »

only that it must have been changed, because I've seen dwarves with 25 bolts (metal bolt stacks) and even more, the most being 41 in a mix of metal and bone but mostly bone. Check how many bolts are assigned to the squad and make it at least 50 per squad member

Wow, I didn't realize it worked that way. I have a squad of 10 (9 of them being marksdwarves) and I assigned 100 bolts to the squad... so that means like 11 per marksdwarf then XD omg, gotta change some stuff around when I get home.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:27 pm »

Wow, I didn't realize it worked that way. I have a squad of 10 (9 of them being marksdwarves) and I assigned 100 bolts to the squad... so that means like 11 per marksdwarf then XD omg, gotta change some stuff around when I get home.

I set mine to 4000, the wiki says you're supposed to put set it to at least 100-200 assigned bolts per squad member. I don't know how to assign a specific number of bolts to specific squad members.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »

Can I use salt water to create mud for my tree farm or do I have to desalinate it first?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: September 17, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »

I set mine to 4000, the wiki says you're supposed to put set it to at least 100-200 assigned bolts per squad member. I don't know how to assign a specific number of bolts to specific squad members.

You can't as far as I know: it's set at the squad level.  I also think that dwarves are limited to carrying 50 bolts at once, no matter how high you set the limit in the ammo screen.  In fact, setting it too high might cause one squad to claim all of the ammo and leave none for other squads, but I haven't actually tried that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: September 17, 2013, 04:41:32 pm »

salt water should be just fine for muddying stones. If in doubt, use a pump to desalinise (spelling?) the water

a quiver can contain somewhere between 40 and 50 bolts. More than 50 has never been reported in my memory. I do not know if the material of the bolt has any effect.
The bolts assigned in the military meny are per squad. Setting it at 100 for 10 marksdwarfs means 10 bolts per person, though if one has 20, another will have 0. Setting it to 400 or so will allow about 30 to 40 bolts per dwarf. It will be very uncommonfor any dwarf to have 0 bolts, though one with 15 and a couple of others with 45 may happen. Setting it to 1000 will allow all dwarfs to stuff their quivers as full as hey can, plus reserves about the same amount for reloading. I suddenly realize that this may be a factor in marksdwarfs not reloading at times, as they take valuable time to process the claiming of new bolts before they can collect them which could not mix well with nearby enemies, while if they are already claimed they just walk off and get them. Having 4000 per squad, while good to have at hand, might be overkill and actually cause problems when you have multiple squads. A skilled squad can fire a lot of bolts very fast, so 2000 to 4000 supply per 10 man squad may not be a bad thing, but having them reserved per squad sounds like asking for trouble with the game as it is now. Either by one squad claiming all the bolts as Telgin mentioned, or by having squad members walking a long way, because all the nearby bolts are reserved by a different squad, or some other way I havn't thought of yet, the game is inventive/interesting/annoying like that. Personally I set it at 600 for a 10 men squad.

An extra note should be made that there is also a number of bolts reserved for hunters by default. By default, the first 100 bolts you have are for hunters, wether you have any or not, and unusable for defence. If you're not hunting anymore, possibly because the outside is too dangerous and overrun with continuous goblin sieges, ambushes and the occasional zombie invasion added for good measure, you might want to set it to 0 as it takes precedence over squad settings.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: September 17, 2013, 06:22:08 pm »

Stacks of 0 bone will only ever be created at a workshop that handles bone, so you can have a refuse-only pile that takes only from those workshops. From there they can be taken to a dump stop into an atomsmasher. The atomsmasher I'm using at the moment runs on a pressure plate in a dwarf's bedroom -- previous triggers were in more frequented areas and the tiny bit of lag caused by the bridge going up and down was rather annoying when it happened all the time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »

a quiver can contain somewhere between 40 and 50 bolts. More than 50 has never been reported in my memory. I do not know if the material of the bolt has any effect.

A dwarf keeps adding bolts until he can't add any more.  There is no fixed upper limit as such.

A quiver can hold more bolts if it currently has less than 25.  A single stack of any size can be added.  Therefore, if a quiver currently has 24 bolts, and a dwarf picks up a stack of 25 next, the quiver can end up with 49 bolts.  On the other hand, if the quiver currently has 24, and the dwarf picks up a stack of 1 bolt, then the quiver will end up with 25.

Material does not matter as far as I know, except insofar as it affects stack size.  Bone bolts are produced in stacks of 5, so you'll never get over 29 bolts in a quiver if the final stack is bone.  Wood and metal bolts are produced in stacks of 25, so you can get up to 49 that way (as I described above).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »

Stacks of 0 bone will only ever be created at a workshop that handles bone, so you can have a refuse-only pile that takes only from those workshops. From there they can be taken to a dump stop into an atomsmasher. The atomsmasher I'm using at the moment runs on a pressure plate in a dwarf's bedroom -- previous triggers were in more frequented areas and the tiny bit of lag caused by the bridge going up and down was rather annoying when it happened all the time.

I have two 'refuse' piles (not counting the one that I use for the corpses left over from goblin ambushes/sieges and the worn clothing one), one for bone, teeth, horn, shell, hoof, and so on, the other for corpses and refuse. When the workshops produce that unusable bit of bone, the unusable items get put in the main trash pile, so that method works for me

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: September 17, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

I thought I'd asked about this, but can't find the thread/post at all anymore...

I've had a dozen or so creeping eyes sitting around in my cavern 3 lake ever since I discovered cavern 3. They don't move, and from the wiki I learned they don't drown. At least the raws on the wiki don't have anything about natural swimming skill...

So are they just going to sit there forever, taking up a wildlife "slot"? Any suggestions on getting rid of them? Marksdwarves or obsidianizing (magma is just 1-2 z's below them)?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »

I thought I'd asked about this, but can't find the thread/post at all anymore...

I've had a dozen or so creeping eyes sitting around in my cavern 3 lake ever since I discovered cavern 3. They don't move, and from the wiki I learned they don't drown. At least the raws on the wiki don't have anything about natural swimming skill...

So are they just going to sit there forever, taking up a wildlife "slot"? Any suggestions on getting rid of them? Marksdwarves or obsidianizing (magma is just 1-2 z's below them)?

Marksdwarves can work, since creeping eyes are fleshy, and you won't have to risk a miner to kill them.

Any wildlife will take up a "slot" in the biome they spawned in, so until those eyes are killed they will prevent more wildlife from spawning in the 3rd cavern layer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:23 pm »

Just wondering out of curiosity, when a body part shows multiple different wound entries, that's normal and just means multiple individual wounds on the same part, right?

Just wondering because theres this dwarf who (accidentially I guess) provoked a gorlak and got torn up, and her feet and head show multiple wound sets. Seems like they're supposed to be individual wounds because one head wound has hair torn apart while the others don't. Her right foot got torn up pretty bad, three individual wounds there.

Edit: Wound treatment doesn't say anything about stitches and I do have thread, but some of those wounds sound like they would need stitching rather than just dressing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:47:18 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: September 17, 2013, 08:47:29 pm »

Just wondering out of curiosity, when a body part shows multiple different wound entries, that's normal and just means multiple individual wounds on the same part, right?

Just wondering because theres this dwarf who (accidentially I guess) provoked a gorlak and got torn up, and her feet and head show multiple wound sets. Seems like they're supposed to be individual wounds because one head wound has hair torn apart while the others don't. Her right foot got torn up pretty bad, three individual wounds there.

Perfectly normal. Occasionally horrifying.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 422