Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879280 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5235 on: September 18, 2013, 04:04:31 am »

in theory it doesn't even need stitching and it'll heal on its own, just slower and with more risk of infection. In any case, if no surturing is required, it isn't.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:14 am »

Edit: Wound treatment doesn't say anything about stitches and I do have thread, but some of those wounds sound like they would need stitching rather than just dressing.

Just in case you're really new to dwarven healthcare and just unclear on the terminology, it's suturing, like others have mentioned. Minor wounds can be strange sometimes too, I've had some infected toenails claim to require suturing/cleaning for a couple of years now, yet no healthcare seems to happen (if only they cleaned the infection, the nail should heal because I've modded them to heal...)

in theory it doesn't even need stitching and it'll heal on its own, just slower and with more risk of infection. In any case, if no surturing is required, it isn't.

Now I'm wishing there were norse-style fire (and other) giants in DF. But apparently since Surtur/Surtr will do battle with the Aesir during the Ragnarok, and afterwards the flames he calls will engulf the earth... Well, actually that's starting to sound like a fire-breathing humanoid titan, isn't it?

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: September 18, 2013, 02:03:51 pm »

I have a dwarf and assign them wood cutter, so they pick up a nearby axe and use it for cutting wood.

Now say I unassign the woodcutter labor and assign the plant gathering labor. Assuming no other dwarves are demanding that axe, will my herbalist keep the axe in his inventory while he gathers plants? Will he use it for self defense if he is attacked?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: September 18, 2013, 02:56:01 pm »

Now I'm wishing there were norse-style fire (and other) giants in DF. But apparently since Surtur/Surtr will do battle with the Aesir during the Ragnarok, and afterwards the flames he calls will engulf the earth... Well, actually that's starting to sound like a fire-breathing humanoid titan, isn't it?

nitpicker  :P
wait, what was the word for using heat to close bloodvessels? Cauterizing wasn't it? Lets call it surturing

I have a dwarf and assign them wood cutter, so they pick up a nearby axe and use it for cutting wood.

Now say I unassign the woodcutter labor and assign the plant gathering labor. Assuming no other dwarves are demanding that axe, will my herbalist keep the axe in his inventory while he gathers plants? Will he use it for self defense if he is attacked?

even with an axe in hand, most dwarfs will choose to run away. If you want him to have an axe in his hand, but don't want to have woodcutting enabled on him, just put him in a militia squad with no additional armor (over clothing, the default, not replace) and tell him to carry an axe
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »

He'll just drop it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »

Dwarves will fire crossbows in self-defence, but will only attack in melee if cornered or if they counterstrike.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: September 19, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »

nvm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:37:03 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: September 20, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »

I was origionally going to ask whether the dwarves would keep their armor on after being removed from a squad, and apparently I THOUGHT it looked like it would, but apparently not since I noticed an unhappy dwarf through the happyness meter thing in DFhacks UI plugin.

Turns out the unhappy dwarf is the vampire and at some point he dropped the arnor, so, how do I get the dwarf to keep the armor on after I remove him from squads? I don't really want to fill up a squad slot with the one dwarf vamp squad. Then again, maybe I'll leave him in a squad and let him do individual training to get his stats up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:52:45 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 20, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »

you can't. Ordinary dwarfs won't wear anything clasified as armor. They'll wear leather clothing, but not leather armor and nothing metal. Candy clothing may be an exception, I don't know.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »

Except that leather clothes will rot away. I could of course mod clothes so that they don't rot, but that requires a world regen.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 21, 2013, 04:09:03 am »

My civilization has no important leaders, they didn't send a caravan in the fall of the first year, and in the Legends screen they haven't had any events in nearly 1000 years. Are they gone? I'm not getting any more migrants, am I?

It's dead Jim. (random Star Trek reference, lol)

Really though, if they haven't had any events in almost a thousand years, all you'd find are ruins, if they haven't been razed or built over.

Is there any way I could somehow increase my population drastically? I'm willing to abandon and reclaim with a new civilization, but I'd prefer to modify some raws or something to increase my population growth. I've got enough dwarfs for 6 married pairs if I can mate them all off. I already have the [CHILD:12] tag set to [CHILD:2] so I can use child labor, but I don't know how to increase my actual birth rate.

I've played with extinct civilizations before, and the best way to grow them seems to be to let them socialize early and form up into pairs.

You want a lazy fortress at first, with as little work being done as possible, beyond growing food, keeping animals alive, and brewing/cooking.

Create a small meeting area, say 5x5 tiles, and make it the only meeting area.  Put sleeping and dining areas very close by.  The more compact the fortress is at this point the better.

Your dwarves will socialize with one another a LOT.  Within a year or two they will start pairing off into marriages.  As they do so, assign the married ones to productive jobs.

Dwarves, once they get married, if kept happy and fed, will pretty much have a pregnancy every year for each married female, from somewhere around age 30 to well over 100.

If you don't have dwarves with social skills, it might be worth restarting and training some social skills on embark.  When I did this, I chose the benevolent ones, avoiding liar, etc.

If you need trade early for some reason, just trade food.  When starting a no-dwarves world, I Embark with several breeding sets of birds, dwarves set as a 5 skill planter, another 5 skill grower, 5 skill butcher, 5 skill cook, 5 skill brewer, 5 skill mason and 5 skill miner. and you will be able to quickly establish a tiny little fortress.  When the digging and mason chair/table/ nestbox work is done, switch them to engraving and improve all the walls of the common areas with smoothing then engraving.  Make the rooms substantial in size and engrave them, and they will create lots of happiness.

Do NOT mine a lot, even if you have a married miner.  Mining is what sets up moods.  Every X mined tiles means a dwarf will gain a mood, and your fortress doesn't want that yet.

This information is dated to the last version, and some of it may have changed.  Not entirely positive how much is still accurate but I imagine I'll be corrected on anything that's terribly wrong.

The purpose here isn't to keep dwarves busy though, just make them happy, and feed them.  High quality foods
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: September 21, 2013, 04:22:39 am »

Why is there a considerable delay when recovering wounded dwarves? Even after turning all of their other labors, I still notice that dwarves will often wait and do nothing, I even have dwarves who I didn't disable labors idle. Why is this? Do I need dwarves on preemptive idle when ambushes occur? Why do dwarves idle when there are wounded dwarves to be recovered? I've checked, they don't have recover wounded disabled. Am I missing something here?

It is rumored that it's better to have a poor diagnostician chief medical dwarf that is happy to help others than have an excellent diagnostician CMD that does not like to help others.  I can't recall the personality facet that controls this message in dwarven information screen.

If that rumor is true, it probably also passes for recovering injured as well as diagnosing them.  Check unit information thoughts and preferences for clues about how much your dwarves like helping other dwarves.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:22 am »

BINS

Bins are buggy. For some reason military dwarves won't take equipment from them. I try to keep my forts bin free, any I end up with are sold to traders.

Eh, why?  Just modify the stockpiles from the Q screen and set max bins to 0 ?  Can do the same for barrels if you like to store prepared food in a way that lets you sell it without needing to also sell the barrels you would rather use for booze.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: September 21, 2013, 04:34:01 am »

Just wondering out of curiosity, when a body part shows multiple different wound entries, that's normal and just means multiple individual wounds on the same part, right?

Just wondering because theres this dwarf who (accidentially I guess) provoked a gorlak and got torn up, and her feet and head show multiple wound sets. Seems like they're supposed to be individual wounds because one head wound has hair torn apart while the others don't. Her right foot got torn up pretty bad, three individual wounds there.

Edit: Wound treatment doesn't say anything about stitches and I do have thread, but some of those wounds sound like they would need stitching rather than just dressing.

There's a way to look at the queued work that a diagnostician wants to be performed on a dwarf, through the z menu somehow, if I remember right.  If there's no soap, or no dwarf with the skill set to perform a job needed, then the medical job that isn't completed might prevent other work from getting done.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: September 21, 2013, 02:16:13 pm »

How do I get rid of named weapons and shields? I can't dump them and I can't melt them either. I know I could atomsmash, but um, yea, any other way?

Edit: Going to attempt to get the kobolds to get rid of them for me, and yeah I know I'm risking a kobold siege, but my military can handle it.

Though honestly I really should be upgrading to steel.....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:46:11 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 422