Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879520 times)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4875 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:13 pm »

I wan't my civilans to be able to defend themselves. This is not a problem, except for the uniform-wearing ones.
I want my miners/woodcutters to use the weapon they have in case of an attack.
I don't want them to be soldiers, just to fight for they live with the pick/axe they were using when the get attacked.

I had a case of a civilan (i.e: not drafted) miner use his pick when he found himself face to face with an insectoide , poisonous-dust breathing ice FB when breaching a cavern in one of my first fortress. In fact i think he didn't noticed, as he keep mining the shit ouf the FB. But that's rare, most of the time they just run and never fight back, even when cornered.

So how do i get my miners and woodcutters to fight for their lives without dropping everything and going bare-hands?

They fight back if they have to. Like all civilians, they prefer running. If they are close enough and can't run away, they will use their picks/axes. I had once miner killing an FB as a self-defense.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: July 24, 2013, 05:29:39 pm »

Legendary miners are surprisingly good at surviving crossbow squads. They bat the bolts out of the air very easily, and because the goblins can't both move and fire on a turn it's easier for the miner to keep their unarmoured butt away from the goblins.

Legendary woodcutters have no such luck, as axe fighting and axe forest management use two different skills.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: July 25, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »

Does the proportion of region tiles of a certain biome impact the types and frequency of creatures spawning?

In other words, will an embark that's 3/4 evil biome spawn undead creatures 3 times as much as an embark that is 1/4 evil?

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:44 pm »

What happens if I am the Mountainhome and the Queen dies childless, is that the end of my monarchy?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: July 27, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »

no clue on the animals, but noble titles are never inherited, yet. So, when the queen dies, it'll be the end of the monarchy wether with or without children

(I think)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:28 am »

Is there an upper limit to Z-levels?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: July 28, 2013, 10:10:52 am »

1) I am starting to get some results from barracks training: report screen has said in the past that dwarfs were sparring.  It seems to indicate now that they are fighting and I have had 3 deaths during training.  Two were wrestlers that seemed to 'land wrong' (collided with an obstacle) after being thrown and suffered damage that ultimately made them suffocate ... any profit in making a sand floor?

2) Nest boxes ... set up a couple, removed the layers in question from pen and they promptly laid eggs, dwarfs promptly collected (how do I stop that so I can raise more layers?)  The layers followed  the dwarfs and never came back ... I tried making a pen area to include the nest ... tried setting the traffic area to resticted ... might be nice to have some nest toggles like hives have.

3) I read somewhere about using a drawbridge at the edge of the map on the surface to solve the 5 tile barrier ... but any time I have built a drawbridge touching the map edge it does not (at least visually ... I have not had the chance to test access) change when I pull the lever ... yes it is directed, linked, and unoccupied
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: July 28, 2013, 10:17:14 am »

Is there an upper limit to Z-levels?
Yeah, if you build into the sky, you'll hit the top in about 20 z

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

1) I am starting to get some results from barracks training: report screen has said in the past that dwarfs were sparring.  It seems to indicate now that they are fighting and I have had 3 deaths during training.  Two were wrestlers that seemed to 'land wrong' (collided with an obstacle) after being thrown and suffered damage that ultimately made them suffocate ... any profit in making a sand floor?

2) Nest boxes ... set up a couple, removed the layers in question from pen and they promptly laid eggs, dwarfs promptly collected (how do I stop that so I can raise more layers?)  The layers followed  the dwarfs and never came back ... I tried making a pen area to include the nest ... tried setting the traffic area to resticted ... might be nice to have some nest toggles like hives have.

3) I read somewhere about using a drawbridge at the edge of the map on the surface to solve the 5 tile barrier ... but any time I have built a drawbridge touching the map edge it does not (at least visually ... I have not had the chance to test access) change when I pull the lever ... yes it is directed, linked, and unoccupied
I haven't seen a training death in a while.  Make sure they have weapons and helmets.

Forbid eggs in the food stockpile and they will leave them to hatch.  The birds leave for 3 months till they're ready to lay again.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: July 28, 2013, 10:53:35 am »

For 2, it'd be best done with a door to lock dwarves out of the nesting area, and you'll want pasture zone to put the egg-layers in. Pets, wild and invaders don't respects traffic designation, and dwarves will go right through them if their job's on the other side.

For 3, one tile wide bridge don't change visually if it's set in a direction, at least it don't for me. Wait for caravan or wild animals to wander in. Or siege if you're playing with invader on. To see if it works.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: July 28, 2013, 12:17:02 pm »

For 2, it'd be best done with a door to lock dwarves out of the nesting area, and you'll want pasture zone to put the egg-layers in. Pets, wild and invaders don't respects traffic designation, and dwarves will go right through them if their job's on the other side.

I'm guessing I can lock the females away from the males and still get fertilized eggs ... does my pasturing need outside access?  Is the female going to starve or die of thirst behind a locked door?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »

I'm guessing I can lock the females away from the males and still get fertilized eggs ... does my pasturing need outside access?  Is the female going to starve or die of thirst behind a locked door?
Most birds don't need to eat, and no animals need to drink, so you should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:37:41 pm by FuzzyZergling »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: July 28, 2013, 12:26:44 pm »

Only bird that needs food, that I can think of, is the Elk Bird.  The rest live on air and love.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: July 28, 2013, 12:34:34 pm »

None of the domestic birds and almost none of wild egg layers need food and drink. The only exception ( That I know of! ) is elk bird, but I've never used them. So you can put them in cold box underwater, as long as they're not drowning ( Nest boxes doesn't works underwater ), they'll crank eggs out :D

For fertilizing, it's same sporing mechanism as all the other animals, it'll probably work even if male is in cage or hidden and sealed away.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: July 28, 2013, 12:56:46 pm »

I am not finding quiver as a definable part of uniform ...is it assumed with crossbow as long as it is available?
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 422