Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879529 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4860 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:28 am »

1.How do I get my Military Dwarfs equip their Full Amour and their Weapons? I seen most of Them have Helm and Caps but not their Breast Plate and boots.

2.Why Dwarf are not Training and Sparring anymore? Is it Because My Commander is Wounded from our Last Siege? :(

3.What is the quickest way to Found my Cavern?

4. Should I even look for my Cavern? My Military is really weak right now and Heard that Cavern have Ant People and Trolls in there should I still try finding it?

Toggle the uniform to 'replace clothing'.  Toggle it back to 'over clothing', if it's not full coverage (legs, chest, feet) so they don't get unhappy thoughts.

Sparring is random. If they have a barracks and are set to train, they'll eventually do it.

Construct an up stair on the up/down stairs when you reach the caverns.  That will block it.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:15 pm »

Where the hell are are all the goblins? The civ screen says we are still at war, I've got over a hundred dwarves....
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:02 pm »

Construct an up stair on the up/down stairs when you reach the caverns.  That will block it.

Note that there must be an open space north, south, east or west of the up/down stairs where the mason could conceivably stand, in order to construct the up staircase.

The mason won't actually stand there -- he'll stand in the up/down stairwell above the building site -- but the game requires that there be a place where he could stand.

So, as soon as you get the announcement about the cavern (which automatically pauses the game for you), designate a single tile to dig directly N/S/E/W of the spot you want to block.  Then remove any up/down staircase designations below that spot, so the miner doesn't just continue downward.  Once the tile has been dug, then you can order the up staircase built.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: July 18, 2013, 07:41:56 pm »

Where the hell are are all the goblins? The civ screen says we are still at war, I've got over a hundred dwarves....

Most likely they are biding their time. Sometimes sieges and ambushes take a few years to get started, and that is a few years -after- the second year. Alternatively, you could be on an island. Then even snatchers can't reach you. If you got snatchers, you'll get ambushes and sieges in time. Patience
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:09 pm »

Stockpile question:

I've got 3 stills going.  2 are up in my upper fort and the booze from them is delivering into a massive stockpile near the legendary dining room for the main fort.

Down by magma, I've got another still setup.  It's producing plenty of booze.  Next to it is a stockpile for just booze.  I've even gone so far as to double check that the thing allows barrels and set it to TAKE from the still right next to it.  But ooooh no.  Urist and friends just have to haul all that booze right OVER the empty stockpile and up 80+ levels to the fortress main stockpile.

What gives?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: July 19, 2013, 10:06:27 am »

I've got 3 stills going.  2 are up in my upper fort and the booze from them is delivering into a massive stockpile near the legendary dining room for the main fort.

Set that stockpile to take from links only, then take from the two stills.  Then create a very small stockpile that will take booze from anywhere, to clean up the inevitable stray barrels.

Down by magma, I've got another still setup.  It's producing plenty of booze.  Next to it is a stockpile for just booze.  I've even gone so far as to double check that the thing allows barrels and set it to TAKE from the still right next to it.  But ooooh no.  Urist and friends just have to haul all that booze right OVER the empty stockpile and up 80+ levels to the fortress main stockpile.

A stockpile that can take from anywhere and which has an opening is hungry.  It's just waiting for some booze to fill that opening.  Any booze.  As soon as you produce another barrel in the downstairs still, the upper stockpile says "BOOZE!  GIMME!" and generates a hauling job.  The downstairs stockpile doesn't get a chance to act, because the upstairs stockpile grabs it first.  Probably because it has a lower stockpile number (but that's a guess).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:42 pm »

Does anyone know how to tell what items, dwarfes have grown attached to from the stocks screen?

bump
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: July 22, 2013, 02:47:35 am »

Stockpile question:

What gives?

Hmmm, links actually make _workshops_ exclusive in their logistics - a workshop with stockpiles linked to 'give' to it will only accept input drawn from those stockpiles, a workshop with stockpiles linked to 'take' will only send output to those stockpiles.

So you're probably not seeing booze hauling from the still itself: dwarfs who get thirsty locate the nearest barrel (perhaps weighted for booze preferences). If that barrel is sitting inside a still, they pick it up directly from the still, effectively removing it from the building and turning it into a 'loose' barrel. Once they're finished drinking, they automatically get a new job to store the barrel, normally in an appropriate stockpile. Since they're handling a loose barrel and not one located in the workshop, they'll take it to a stockpile which accepts input from anywhere. Can it be you set the booze stockpile at the still to only accept goods from links? This would forbid storing of barrels that have been drunk from already - as i said, they're no longer counted as still inventory, they're personal inventory of the dwarfs who've been using them.

Check the inventory of the still with the i't'ems command. If it's full of barrels of booze, the stockpile link is broken. If not, there's nothing wrong with the still/stockpile per se, the still's just not producing fast enough to send booze to stockpiles by itself.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:00 am »

Does anyone know how to tell what items, dwarfes have grown attached to from the stocks screen?

bump

nope. Though it's not irreversibly attached untill they give it a name and that does show up
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: July 22, 2013, 12:12:07 pm »

So you're probably not seeing booze hauling from the still itself: dwarfs who get thirsty locate the nearest barrel (perhaps weighted for booze preferences). If that barrel is sitting inside a still, they pick it up directly from the still, effectively removing it from the building and turning it into a 'loose' barrel. Once they're finished drinking, they automatically get a new job to store the barrel, normally in an appropriate stockpile. Since they're handling a loose barrel and not one located in the workshop, they'll take it to a stockpile which accepts input from anywhere. Can it be you set the booze stockpile at the still to only accept goods from links?
Well, that makes sense, in a DF kind of way, but the stocks are set to take from all with a link to the still.  An excellent idea, but unfortunately not the entire story.  I'm afraid it might be a combination of the two though.  The lower #'d stockpile getting into the 'queue' first simply because of how the game queue works, and the explanation above where the dwarves are all drinking from the barrels prior to them being moved.  The combination of the two would certainly explain this.

Check the inventory of the still with the i't'ems command. If it's full of barrels of booze, the stockpile link is broken. If not, there's nothing wrong with the still/stockpile per se, the still's just not producing fast enough to send booze to stockpiles by itself.
There's been idle barrels of booze in the stockpile until someone comes and drinks it, and once they're drank they're getting dragged upstairs.  I'm going to destroy the stockpile and rebuild it and see what comes from that.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:42 am »

I was training a squad with wooden training axes ... now they are axe lords with wooden axes and shields that they are "fond" of .... what are my options?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: July 24, 2013, 10:09:26 am »

tell them to use different axes. Untill they actually name the weapons they'll still switch (iirc)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »

I wan't my civilans to be able to defend themselves. This is not a problem, except for the uniform-wearing ones.
I want my miners/woodcutters to use the weapon they have in case of an attack.
I don't want them to be soldiers, just to fight for they live with the pick/axe they were using when the get attacked.

I had a case of a civilan (i.e: not drafted) miner use his pick when he found himself face to face with an insectoide , poisonous-dust breathing ice FB when breaching a cavern in one of my first fortress. In fact i think he didn't noticed, as he keep mining the shit ouf the FB. But that's rare, most of the time they just run and never fight back, even when cornered.

So how do i get my miners and woodcutters to fight for their lives without dropping everything and going bare-hands?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:20 pm »

I was training a squad with wooden training axes ... now they are axe lords with wooden axes and shields that they are "fond" of .... what are my options?

Dump them or remove the weapon from the uniform, maybe atomsmash them or sell them while caravan's still around. Make sure you have them set to take non-training equipment afterwards and presto.

I usually sell off lower grade weapon or training equipments by removing soldiers' weapons from uniform and letting them idle around until the stuff's sold. If they're a bit more attached to the thing, then dumping and unforbidding after uniform change usually does the trick for me.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »

I wan't my civilans to be able to defend themselves. This is not a problem, except for the uniform-wearing ones.
I want my miners/woodcutters to use the weapon they have in case of an attack.
I don't want them to be soldiers, just to fight for they live with the pick/axe they were using when the get attacked.

I had a case of a civilan (i.e: not drafted) miner use his pick when he found himself face to face with an insectoide , poisonous-dust breathing ice FB in one of my first fortress. In fact i think he didn't noticed, as he keep mining the shit ouf the FB. But that's rare, most of the time they just run and never fight back, even when cornered.

So how do i get my miners and woodcutters to fight for their lives without dropping everything and going bare-hands?

You can't, unless you disable their job whenever you don't need them to chop or pick. Mining, woodcutting and hunting jobs have a special uniform that overrides the military set uniforms, which reserves the tools. It's either that or hope the workers are aggressive or oblivious enough to strike effectively on their own.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 422