Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879636 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4695 on: June 19, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »

Question about dwarves on fire. I found a magma tube, with a space well above it. My idea was to suspend a pod from the ceiling via up/down stairs. This seems like it would work, but both the initial miner and one stoneworker have turn up bled to death and on fire after working here. I've put forges over magma before. I don't get combat reports during these "incidents". Are these fire imps? A rule against working over lots of open magma?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: June 19, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »

Question about dwarves on fire. I found a magma tube, with a space well above it. My idea was to suspend a pod from the ceiling via up/down stairs. This seems like it would work, but both the initial miner and one stoneworker have turn up bled to death and on fire after working here. I've put forges over magma before. I don't get combat reports during these "incidents". Are these fire imps? A rule against working over lots of open magma?

The temperature above the magma shouldn't be hot enough to torch vanilla dwarves on their own.  Have you been dumping things in the magma?  Magma mist can and will burn your dwarves and is now generated by sufficiently large items being thrown in a pool. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

Not intentionally dumping stuff in the magma. The miner was the first one there, and the magma starts 4-5 z-levels down. Unless mining causes stuff to fall (I suppose it could release a rock, or rocks?) then I don't see how, though that is one explanation. And the mason? Just made a few X up/down staircases. No dropping.

There ARE imps in the Units menu, but not that I've seen in the magma pipe, just down in the sea. Do they simply cause dwarfs to burst into flame?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:05 am »

They can throw fireballs at a range of about 20 tiles, and they can throw them at angles steeper than 45 degrees.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:54 am »

How do you mod the game so creatures grow right?

From various threads I've been able to deduce that when little dwarves/kittens/etc. grow up they only get bigger is the exact second they were born ends in zero, and that the following line of code fixes this:
Code: [Select]
unit.relations.birth_time=-1

What I have not been able to figure out is where you put the damn code.

So I have two questions:
1) Am I interpreting these threads right?

2) If so, where does this code go?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:52 am »

if you are using the latest df and don't mind using the LNP, download it, copy your saves to the saves folder there, do the same with any macros or other things you have saved or changed and run the game, it will automatically apply the fix

otherwise I found these instructions quite clear:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: June 21, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

So it doesn't work without DFHack. I thought it did.

I guess I'll have to install DFHack.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:32 pm »

I have yet to see any dwarfs with appraisal skill to make broker?  is it a skill that he will develop?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: June 21, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »

I recently noticed a "Training Session" with one of my melee squads.  Prior to this, I've only noticed sparring and demonstrations that specified what was taught, like "Shield Demonstration."  What do training sessions actually train?

My understanding is that they show "Training session" as their job for some period of time, and then it changes to a more specific task, like "Watch sword demonstration" or "Spar".  I think it changes when enough dwarves show up in the barracks, or when the organizer has finished organizing, or something along those lines.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: June 21, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »

I have yet to see any dwarfs with appraisal skill to make broker?  is it a skill that he will develop?
Appraiser skill is gained the first time you open the trading screen for a given caravan, with the dwarf in the depot getting a chunk of XP for the whole caravan. With the default caravans of dwarf, human, and elf, you'll only ever raise Appraiser XP three times a year. But you do get a lot of it -- the first caravan you get will easily give you Novice if it has wagons, and maybe if it's just pack animals. You only need Novice to see prices or fortress value, and additional skill levels do nothing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: June 21, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »

QuestionAbove my pillar trap, I'm building something heavy, so I ran a retractable bridge over to top of pillar.  Now, I am curious, if the collateral damage result when this wall falls will improve, if I build atop the pillar, a wall out of a raw mined rock(435Γ) or a wall out of a rock block(27Γ), when it caves-in.  I saw or remember from the drop item, armor skill improvement thread sometime ago, something about the mass making a difference, or if height made the difference.  I just cannot remember.  Thanks 

Hoping the collective knowledge out there has an answer, or tip.  I'm looking for the greatest splatter size, possible when pillar trap causes a cave-in.  Right now I'm using Pyrolusite walls.  I'll upgrade this heavy wall to a Building destroyer/Forgotten Beast/Titan corpse/skeleton, if its a higher mass, down the road.  Just not sure how I'll get it up there.  HA!

Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: June 21, 2013, 05:27:01 pm »

Maybe I misunderstand, but if there is a cave-in everything under the wall or floor will be instantly killed, so whatever you put on top of them hardly matters, nor what it's made of. Do you mean the 'dust blast' when something falls?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: June 21, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »

Maybe I misunderstand, but if there is a cave-in everything under the wall or floor will be instantly killed, so whatever you put on top of them hardly matters, nor what it's made of. Do you mean the 'dust blast' when something falls?

Not everything dies, I just had a Goblin Thief and the IDing cat dance right on through the splatter area after triggering a pillar trap, with a hair trigger pressure plate, adjacent to the pillar, but on the diagonal. 

So sure 'dust blast' effect, okay.  I want the best overall destruction for the buck, out of a 1 z-level high pillar collapse.  I'm guessing its just sticking raw stone in there, heavier the better, what I build up there prolly doesn't matter, but I dunno.  Some corpses way a whole lot more.  So maybe a floor + a corpse?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: June 22, 2013, 12:29:52 am »

What are the rules for determining if a tile of water will freeze?  I have a fort on a map that freezes in winter and that deconstructed my well.  Is it possible to protect it by enclosing it in a building?  Or would a dedicated underground well resist freezing?

As dorfy as it would be, surrounding it with magma is not practical.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: June 22, 2013, 01:04:49 am »

Unfortunately if it is in a tile that was ever above ground it will freeze so your best bet is to move the well underground.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 422