Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879633 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4665 on: June 14, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

Thanks to the tip re: overlapping barracks and archery targets, my marksdwarves are training around the clock.  I don't use bins for ammo stockpiles, since marksdwarves reload more reliably when using the patrol-reload trick.  I didn't have to worry about it much before, since my marksdwarves weren't very active, but now single bolts are overwhelming my stockpiles.  Does ammo ever restack?  Is there a way to force it?  My marksdwarves are still reloading, but their quivers never seem to be as full.  They used to carry 25+ bolts, and now they generally only carry 10-15 single bolts total.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: June 14, 2013, 06:19:18 pm »

Its been a long while since I last played, had the urge to get back into this, but a few things have changed, right now, I cant quite figure out the new embark search options, whats the difference between searching for  "Deep metal - Yes" and "Deep Metal, Multiple" for example?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:13 pm »

Its been a long while since I last played, had the urge to get back into this, but a few things have changed, right now, I cant quite figure out the new embark search options, whats the difference between searching for  "Deep metal - Yes" and "Deep Metal, Multiple" for example?

"Deep metal - Yes" means the embark should have at least one type of metal deeper down. Multiple means at least two. (But don't ask me the difference between shallow and deep metals, except that 'deep metals' as mentioned in the embark screen are not candy.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: June 15, 2013, 12:12:59 am »

Why does having deep and shallow metals both set to "multiple" almost never get me any iron ore? Why is iron ore so elusive?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:37 am »

Why does having deep and shallow metals both set to "multiple" almost never get me any iron ore? Why is iron ore so elusive?

Because Armok is angry you haven't sacrificed enough to him.

Serious answers: Because it's one of a hell of a lot of different veins and large clusters. Try a lower mineral scarcity when generating a world; 100 tends to get everything everywhaaaaaaaare

Also they're almost all only found in sedimentary layers (according to the wiki), except for hematite which is occasionally found in igneous extrusive layers. Maybe you're embarking in the wrong places.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: June 15, 2013, 04:02:51 am »

Thanks to the tip re: overlapping barracks and archery targets, my marksdwarves are training around the clock.  I don't use bins for ammo stockpiles, since marksdwarves reload more reliably when using the patrol-reload trick.  I didn't have to worry about it much before, since my marksdwarves weren't very active, but now single bolts are overwhelming my stockpiles.  Does ammo ever restack?  Is there a way to force it?  My marksdwarves are still reloading, but their quivers never seem to be as full.  They used to carry 25+ bolts, and now they generally only carry 10-15 single bolts total.

they won't restack. The best you can do is melt individual metal bolts and hope the non-metal ones get destroyed, or destroy them yourself
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: June 15, 2013, 04:56:41 am »

Hi. I've just found the magma sea, and I really want to get some magma smelters up because my coke is running out. And idea on how to penetrate it? I'm afriad to do anything because I might get legendary miners killed. Do I try to find the top or just make a hole in it?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: June 15, 2013, 06:29:17 am »

I'm currently living my first ever caravan pileup. Any advice?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: June 15, 2013, 07:09:48 am »

Magma sea: create an access from above, using the 'channel' designation. The magma will remain on the level below instead of gobbling up your miners. You can build your magma workshops so that their unpassable tile (the darker-coloured tile when designating it) is directly above the hole. This will prevent any surprise visitors from below.

Other options are magma channels (preferably connected via a square channelled from above) or pumping magma from the sea to a separate reservoir above which the workshops are situated - using screwpumps, once again over a single hole in the floor.

Caravan pileups: if at all possible, try to widen the paths. If you're very lucky, the wagons will re-path given enough space. Usually they won't and will only get un-blocked once a wagon breaks. If it's a wagon from the incoming caravan, they'll turn around and won't trade with you. You'll get to keep the stuff that fell off the wagon, but the traders will blame their loss on you.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: June 15, 2013, 10:57:10 am »

instead of magma, you can also get a lot of logs and make charcoal. Not nearly as efficient, but later on I have manpower to spare anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: June 15, 2013, 11:49:55 am »

Caravan pileups: if at all possible, try to widen the paths. If you're very lucky, the wagons will re-path given enough space. Usually they won't and will only get un-blocked once a wagon breaks. If it's a wagon from the incoming caravan, they'll turn around and won't trade with you. You'll get to keep the stuff that fell off the wagon, but the traders will blame their loss on you.

Also to note, if you are playing any of the mods with landmines, the ones that fall off of the broken wagon can and will explode.. Happened to me last night.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: June 15, 2013, 05:05:05 pm »

Can Vampires fly?
Never pet a burning dog.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: June 15, 2013, 05:30:51 pm »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: June 15, 2013, 05:43:54 pm »

Can Vampires fly?

No.

So... for example... if I seal up my Vampire Mayor in a fancy Tomb complex with all of the goodies a Mayor needs to be happy (Opulent Bedroom, Dining Room, Weapon Racks, etc) and channel a hole in the ceiling of his room with a holds-everything stockpile sited directly under it, and another hole in the floor... since Vampires live for centuries, I can eventually train him up to Legendary at several skills (Stone-crafting, Mechanics, Clothes-making, etc) and just dump the ingredients in through the hole in the ceiling, un-forbid them, and get him to dump the finished products out through the hole in the floor?

I'm trying to make him a valued member of the team, without letting him eat anybody.

... or maybe I should just let him eat children... start up a Vampire day-care center.
Never pet a burning dog.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: June 15, 2013, 05:53:50 pm »

Can Vampires fly?

No.

So... for example... if I seal up my Vampire Mayor in a fancy Tomb complex with all of the goodies a Mayor needs to be happy (Opulent Bedroom, Dining Room, Weapon Racks, etc) and channel a hole in the ceiling of his room with a holds-everything stockpile sited directly under it, and another hole in the floor... since Vampires live for centuries, I can eventually train him up to Legendary at several skills (Stone-crafting, Mechanics, Clothes-making, etc) and just dump the ingredients in through the hole in the ceiling, un-forbid them, and get him to dump the finished products out through the hole in the floor?

I'm trying to make him a valued member of the team, without letting him eat anybody.

... or maybe I should just let him eat children... start up a Vampire day-care center.

That'll be perfectly safe. For now.

A question of my own! Do smoothed natural ice walls melt?

Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 422