Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879854 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4485 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »

Okay thank you guys.
another question.
When I tell them to equip a armor of personal/ a weapon of personal choice. Will they always put on the same?

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: April 29, 2013, 05:55:07 pm »

They will upgrade whenever they get the chance unless they become attached to that particular item. Once they become attached they will use that item over any others.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: April 30, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »

Once they become attached they will use that item over any others.
Only so long as they're permitted to use that item. If you change Urist Mc-I-Love-Crappy-Goblinite's weapon type or material to something else, they'll drop it in favour of something that fits their new uniform. You might or might not have to have the uniform set to exact matches; it only occured to me as I was typing this and I only allow partial matches when I'm really low on armour.

It's only really a pain in the butt when you have your best equipment material and want to finish upgrading. There's no uniform you can make that permits masterwork steel while excluding steel of any other quality, so you've got to change the uniform and melt down those specific pieces (perhaps keeping track of them the same way you'd keep track of caged invaders' equipment) before you can swap back.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: May 01, 2013, 06:20:21 am »

Alright, another one that I've been wondering about for a while now:

Once you've generated a world and first enter the screen to choose a site, there is always one selected. Is this site completely randomized or are there certain constraints to it? I've noticed they often have rivers and at least some amount of ore.

I'm asking this mostly because I like the idea of embarking on a completely random site and making the best of it. I'd like to know though if these locations are random or just semi-random.

Second try. Anyone got an answer to this? On my last embark I just embarked on the location that randomly turned up and it had a river, flux, metal and trees. Seems to happen too often to be a coincidence.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: May 01, 2013, 06:21:46 am »

Once you've generated a world and first enter the screen to choose a site, there is always one selected. Is this site completely randomized or are there certain constraints to it? I've noticed they often have rivers and at least some amount of ore.

I'm asking this mostly because I like the idea of embarking on a completely random site and making the best of it. I'd like to know though if these locations are random or just semi-random.
Sorry I got nothing but I'm with you here, even I'm curious about this.

Second try. Anyone got an answer to this? On my last embark I just embarked on the location that randomly turned up and it had a river, flux, metal and trees. Seems to happen too often to be a coincidence.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: May 01, 2013, 07:15:03 am »

I looked at the 'first pick' locations in three currently-inactive worlds, and
1. it always seemed to pick the exact same location in a world (fairly small worlds, though)
2. this chosen location always contained a river, had a part of mountain biome and another part that contained a good amount of trees.
Since those were only three samples, that's not representative, but i didn't see any evil biomes and no aquifers, and each appeared to have a decent amount of ores.

Very inconclusive, it basically just confirms what you've found by yourself - the 'first pick' appears to be nonrandomly a nicely settleable place.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:26 am »

Hi,

I've got a few problems piled up:

1) My crossbowdwarves are not training, also during the combat they melee their opponents instead of shooting them. When I check the job list, most of my archers are marked as (no activity). I've built 3 archery targets in a room (11x8 size), then set up an archery range (q -> r on target), chose correct direction, created a squad, in schedule set up a min 8 (out of 10) to train, in squads i've set schedule - active/training. I've inspected few of my idling archers - they were equiped with crossbows, each carrying a quiver with bolts. What else could i check to make them train?

2) is there a way to inspect how many and what kind of melee weapons I have in my fortress?

3) I have a few of my dwarves with red arrows flashing, that means they are upset about something, is there a way to check the reason? viewing thoughts/preferences does not say anything useful to me, my fortress has 2 kinds of food (plants and meat) and drink.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:38 am »

1) Crossbow training is a bit weird right now, but try setting them to "Inactive". Strangely, that helps most of the time.

2) Check the stocks tab in the (z) menu.

3) Thoughts and preferences are the only way of checking that. Maybe it's an accumulation of many minor unhappy thoughts, like not having an own bedroom, not enough chairs, getting caught in the rain or something like that.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:59 am »

I've been away for a while (lets just say a while, sounds less like I haven't been here in a year or two).

Has anything changed in the way dwarves react? I've given them a masterfully decorated/engraved dining hall, meeting hall, beds to sleep in and normally this in combination with plump helmet power feed got them to never ever tauntrum. Now they even have varied luxious food and booze and they tauntrum like crazy, over every little death in the castle! Did this change or am I doing something wrong?

I'm currently playing the masterwork mod, with most of the mod's harder parts disabled ( :P)

EDIT: Hmmm, could this perhaps have something to do with it?
"There are new nobles in the game, the preacher. Preachers can be appointed as soon as the game starts and only need a small office and bedroom to work. They console and pacify angry and sad dwarves. This has previously been done by the exped-leader, mayor or baron. "

I must say that I don't tend to spend a lot of time to nobles (have a queen, she doesn't even have a room yet :D) I only really care for my manager/broker/counter who is a single dwarf with a little cubicle to work in :)

EDIT2: Wait, what? They need new clothes!? Nobody ever told me that!

I'm losing one every 10 seconds or so, melacholy or berzerk (enough warhounds around to insta-gib those though!)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:35:32 pm by Nether »

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: May 01, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »

1) Crossbow training is a bit weird right now, but try setting them to "Inactive". Strangely, that helps most of the time.

2) Check the stocks tab in the (z) menu.

3) Thoughts and preferences are the only way of checking that. Maybe it's an accumulation of many minor unhappy thoughts, like not having an own bedroom, not enough chairs, getting caught in the rain or something like that.

1) It helped, thanks!

2) Stocks tab tells "weapons 100? 20?"

3) Oh well, let them be unhappy then. Gonna check the preacher stuff Nether just posted

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:19 pm »

viewing thoughts/preferences does not say anything useful to me, my fortress has 2 kinds of food (plants and meat) and drink.
Why isn't the thoughts screen useful?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »

I've been away for a while (lets just say a while, sounds less like I haven't been here in a year or two).

Has anything changed in the way dwarves react? I've given them a masterfully decorated/engraved dining hall, meeting hall, beds to sleep in and normally this in combination with plump helmet power feed got them to never ever tauntrum. Now they even have varied luxious food and booze and they tauntrum like crazy, over every little death in the castle! Did this change or am I doing something wrong?

I'm currently playing the masterwork mod, with most of the mod's harder parts disabled ( :P)

EDIT: Hmmm, could this perhaps have something to do with it?
"There are new nobles in the game, the preacher. Preachers can be appointed as soon as the game starts and only need a small office and bedroom to work. They console and pacify angry and sad dwarves. This has previously been done by the exped-leader, mayor or baron. "

I must say that I don't tend to spend a lot of time to nobles (have a queen, she doesn't even have a room yet :D) I only really care for my manager/broker/counter who is a single dwarf with a little cubicle to work in :)

EDIT2: Wait, what? They need new clothes!? Nobody ever told me that!

I'm losing one every 10 seconds or so, melacholy or berzerk (enough warhounds around to insta-gib those though!)
UPDATE:
I'm losing more and more and I'm gonna give it a break now xD

It's probably just a tauntrum spiral, but did toady program the dwarves to be more agressive towards has seen death as opposed to admired a beautiful structure?

(EDIT: typo)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:36:30 pm by Nether »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: May 01, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »

Ah, you need a bookkeeper to make the stocks more accurate; right now you just get estimates. You can appoint a bookkeeper in the (n)obles menu, he also needs an office. Once your stocks are more accurate, you can also see the individual weapon types.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »

Ah, you need a bookkeeper to make the stocks more accurate; right now you just get estimates. You can appoint a bookkeeper in the (n)obles menu, he also needs an office. Once your stocks are more accurate, you can also see the individual weapon types.
I really like that addition, the bookkeeper.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: May 01, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »

A dwarf made a legendary crown.
But when I want to assign it to my militia commander through m -> e -> H -> specific Helm
nothing appears to pop up in the menu for choosing which specific helm to wear.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 422