Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879784 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4500 on: May 01, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »

A crown isn't a helm, it's a craft. But even if you could equip it, a crown would offer worse protection than a leather helmet.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: May 01, 2013, 04:26:53 pm »

But cant I wear the crown over the leather helmet? just to make him feel "valuable"? :)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: May 01, 2013, 04:58:16 pm »

I captured a dragon and trained it.  I then had it assigned to war training but it never got trained for war, so I couldn't assign it to anyone and it just sat in its cage. 

Well eventually it reverted to wild.  But now, my trainer (the same who trained it before, a Legendary animal trainer) won't train it at all.  He has no other jobs enabled and on the Citizens screen he's listed as 'no job'.  The dragon is assigned to him for training under the animals menu, and a training pit is designated.  And the dragon's not dead in the cage either, and the cage is unforbidden.   
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: May 01, 2013, 09:35:20 pm »

You can only really wear crowns, bracelets, earrings and the sort in adventure mode. So when your fort crumbles to it's end you can get your adventuerer to wear it have delusions of grandeur and everything.

Although I think artifacts are bugged once they leave the site, so I dunno.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:36 am »

1) Crossbow training is a bit weird right now, but try setting them to "Inactive". Strangely, that helps most of the time.

It helped for marksdwarves, should I also set inactive for my melee dwarves?

viewing thoughts/preferences does not say anything useful to me, my fortress has 2 kinds of food (plants and meat) and drink.
Why isn't the thoughts screen useful?

The only bad thought I found was "witnessed a death of relative recently" and smaller bad thoughts as "bad weather", etc. I've got ~120 dwarves in my fortress and only 3-4 dead, I'd say it's a very good result.

2) Stocks tab tells "weapons 100? 20?"
Ah, you need a bookkeeper to make the stocks more accurate; right now you just get estimates. You can appoint a bookkeeper in the (n)obles menu, he also needs an office. Once your stocks are more accurate, you can also see the individual weapon types.

I think I have it (can the same dwarf be appraiser, accountant, manager and bookkeeper?), but I'll doublecheck.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: May 02, 2013, 02:02:05 am »

I captured a dragon and trained it.  I then had it assigned to war training but it never got trained for war, so I couldn't assign it to anyone and it just sat in its cage. 

Well eventually it reverted to wild.  But now, my trainer (the same who trained it before, a Legendary animal trainer) won't train it at all.  He has no other jobs enabled and on the Citizens screen he's listed as 'no job'.  The dragon is assigned to him for training under the animals menu, and a training pit is designated.  And the dragon's not dead in the cage either, and the cage is unforbidden.
Is your training area/cages accessible? Do you have any meat?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:57 am »

Yes to accessible, no to meat.  Will go butcher something...
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:53 am »

Is "going insane because of being locked in" behaviour unique to traders? I got some kobolds secured between drawbridges, any chance they'll die of thirst/hunger/loneliness? Most of them are bowmen, so I'd rather avoid putting my military on the line.

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: May 02, 2013, 03:49:13 am »

I just had a dwarf go into a strange mood, he occupied a craft workshop and had a list of about 7 items...2 logs, cut gem, cut gem, bones, cloth and something else. DFhack "showmood" displayed that he had everything he wanted...but he kept crying out for his shopping list then eventually went insane.

Any idea why?

Also, I have a cage with a rattlesnake in it. I've tagged the rattlesnake for slaughter but when I managed to get it out of the cage (via assign), a dwarf put it in a different cage! How can I get that rattlesnake chopped up?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:15:17 am by 3iff »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: May 02, 2013, 03:58:48 am »

Yes to accessible, no to meat.  Will go butcher something...

creatures won't be war-trained when in a cage, but the trainer should go back to re-tame it at som point, which should happen regularly unless the trainer is too busy. With such a dangerous creature, have several trainers and set it to 'any trainer' because you do not want it to revert out of the cage. On that, note that taming won't be reinforced inside the cage either

I just had a dwarf go into a strange mood, he occupied a craft workshop and had a list of about 7 items...2 logs, cut gem, cut gem, bones, cloth and something else. DFhack "showmood" displayed that he had everything he wanted...but he kept crying out for his shopping list then eventually went insane.

Any idea why?

Most obvious answer, there was something he still didn't have. I'm not aware of any bugs or issues about dwarfs not starting construction, the wiki just mentions that most issues are in fact due to people not understanding what is going on
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: May 02, 2013, 04:19:24 am »

Thanks. It might be the 1 cut gem and 1 cut gem were two separate items but DFhack saw them as the same item and reported as such. There were 7 separate items requested...I wonder if DFhack didn't see an eighth?

Pretty sure I did understand what was going on but what I was being told didn't match what the dwarf really wanted. Too late now, he's sleeping in a rock box. A silver statue watches over him.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:33 am »

Moody dwarf: when something appears to go wrong, getting info from the game itself is usually more reliable than relying on third-party programs. I.e., don't check items collected via DFHack, but look at the items inside the workshop - there should be a list of items with the [TSK] (reserved for a 'Task') flag. Compare them with the list of items the dwarf asks for, the first item in the list that's not in the shop is the one missing (if there's no tasked item in the shop yet, you'll have to guess/deduct which the first item is, the list loops and its display starts at a random spot when looking at the dwarf).

- Rattlesnake not getting slaughtered: fully wild creatures cannot be slaughtered, they need to be tamed first. Alternatively, you could release it, order your military to kill it and butcher the remains (the butchering should happen automatically).

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: May 02, 2013, 05:17:02 am »

I realised the DFhack list might not be 100% correct but the cycling list of wants appeared to match the list. I didn't find the [TSK] list but may not have looked for it. I'll do that next time I get a moody dwarf.

Snake: Ok, I'll have a go at taming him...should be fun.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:15 am »

The only bad thought I found was "witnessed a death of relative recently" and smaller bad thoughts as "bad weather", etc. I've got ~120 dwarves in my fortress and only 3-4 dead, I'd say it's a very good result.

That seems like a pretty distressing thing. I don't know how I would be feeling after witnessing the death of a loved one.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:47 am »

Any idea why?
It could be the cloth. 2 types of strange mood thoughts (secretive and possessed) list 'cloth', but don't specify if it's silk, yarn or plant fiber.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 422