Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879831 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4455 on: April 26, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »

How do obsidian swords stack against metal ones? I have not messed with any since the new material-science combat system.

Also does item quality effect damage short of masterwork/ artifact?

How is damage determined with 'misc objects' in advent mode?

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: April 27, 2013, 12:32:00 am »

How do obsidian swords stack against metal ones? I have not messed with any since the new material-science combat system.
Terribly. Only use obsidian if you have no other option (at least against armored opponents)

Not sure, but in a few unscientific tests, it did seem to help for edged weapons, at least.

How is damage determined with 'misc objects' in advent mode?
Mass, strength, misc obj skill, and whether it's pointy or blunt.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:34:37 am by zzedar »
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:15 am »

Terribly. Only use obsidian if you have no other option (at least against armored opponents)
As implied obsidian does work remarkably well against unarmored enemies due to it's sharpness though.

Not sure, but in a few unscientific tests, it did seem to help for edged weapons, at least.
Item quality doesn't really have that significant effect on damage (even for edged weapons). What it does have a significant effect on though is the ability of said weapons to actually perform meaningful hits on their targets (and thus increases the total amount of damage done in combat in a roundabout way). IIRC back in 40d the exact numbers for the to-hit modifier were 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 (for -X-, +X+, *X*, and ≡X≡ respectively). I have no idea if it's still the same though, especially since that code has undergone a lot of rewrites since then.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: April 27, 2013, 06:53:18 am »

I have more than enough partial skeletons (bones) on my refuse stockpile. yet my possesed dwarf refuses to take them. he remains idle.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: April 27, 2013, 07:52:31 am »

I have more than enough partial skeletons (bones) on my refuse stockpile. yet my possesed dwarf refuses to take them. he remains idle.

Partial skeletons are NOT usable bones. Partial skeletons especially of humanoids WILL never be used, but partial skeletons of butcherable animals can be butchered for bones.(if you have auto butcher it will happen).
check out this  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Corpse

A corpse has several levels of decay, it will begin as "(creature or name) corpse", progress to "rotten (creature or name) corpse", "(creature or name) partially decayed corpse", and then to "(creature or name) skeleton", and will remain a skeleton indefinitely. Alternatively, if the creature had had parts ripped or cut off before death, the corpse will be described as "mutilated corpse" and "partial skeleton" in respective descriptions, and the parts (if still on the map) will decay into a type of bone depending on the part. Note: this is the only way to get useable bones from creatures dwarves refuse to butcher according to their ethics (unless you modded the ethics). Cutting a goblin up using serrated blade traps or throwing them down extreme heights (such they explode) will generate useable goblin bones and skulls. 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: April 27, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

Do weapon traps block minecarts if they're build on the tracks?

I want to run a cart system to the surface to transport blocks, but I don't want to risk ravens getting in and disrupting things, so I'd have to put traps in to keep the debirdinator working. I don't want it to stop the carts, though, or flense the operators; these traps are fairly hardcore.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: April 27, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »

I vote sticky this!
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: April 28, 2013, 01:22:09 am »

we don't really need to. It's used often enough that it almost never drops of page one. The people who don't use it wouldn't use it if it was sticky either
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:23 am »

Hi,

I'm getting spammed by messages "... cancels plant seeds: needs plump helmet spawn". <...>
What should I do to solve this problem?
There is a rather simple solution that will solve like 95% of this from happening.
1)First make two stockpiles, A and B. Stockpile B is your main seed storage stockpile, stockpile A is a tiny stockpile next to B.
2)Stockpile A takes from anywhere and gives to stockpile B. Stockpile A has barrels disabled.
3)Stockpile B only takes from links (so stockpile A and your barrel/bag stockpiles). Stockpile B has barrels enabled.

The end result should be that dwarves carry individual seeds to stockpile A, at which point they quickly pick up a barrel/bag, stuff the seed in it, and then put the bag/barrel back. Since they only carry the bag/barrel for a few tiles, the chance of someone requesting that particular seed container at that particular point in time is very small, and it will remove the majority of your cancellations.

it worked, thank you!

dfhack, 'prospect all' will give you a completely accurate count of all metals, stones, gems, trees and several other things at your site. When used pre-embark it will give an estimate

I've prospected, this is the result (see image). Are there any materials useful for melee weapons?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:36 am »

Well...You've Cassiterite. Which could be a metal if you've a modded game that uses tin weapons.

Other than that: In a vanilla game - nope. You need iron, copper, steel or bronze - none of which have components seen there kudzis (if that game is modded, apologies, I'm posting on latest post.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

note that it's suggested to use "prospect all". "prospect just shows what is currently visible on your map. You could count it yourself if you took the time to check and count every tile on every level you can see. "prospect all" will also give you a count of invisible tiles and give a general indication how deep it is, but won't say where it is exactly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »

note that it's suggested to use "prospect all". "prospect just shows what is currently visible on your map. You could count it yourself if you took the time to check and count every tile on every level you can see. "prospect all" will also give you a count of invisible tiles and give a general indication how deep it is, but won't say where it is exactly

i've did a "prospect all" -the ores section contains the following: galena, tetrahedrite, sphalerite, bismuthinite, raw_adamantine, native_gold, cassiterite. It seems i'm out of luck about ores :( gonna try to trade it or live without it, making wooden crossbows and wooden bolts.

Also, how effective in combat is trained dwarf with no weapon? :)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: April 28, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »

I dunno, you've got tetrahedrite and cassisterite, so that's bronze easily. Electrum for furniture and miscellaneous crap, and then you can harvest goblinite and buy as much iron and steel as the caravans will bring.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: April 28, 2013, 02:07:59 pm »

Making bronze with the tetrahedrite and cassiterite should work reasonably well.  I've actually done quite well in my current fort subsisting on that plus harvested goblinite, as well as requesting large amounts of cassiterite, tin, iron ores, iron, pig iron, steel and flux stones from the liaison.  You can make a lot of good equipment if you do that.

The biggest challenge is getting tetrahedrite without cassiterite, which is pretty common in my experience.  If that happens you can only make copper unless you request cassiterite and / or tin from the liaison, and copper gear other than warhammers and crossbow bolts is useless.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: April 28, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »

The tetrahedrite and galena will also give some silver (less than 1 bar per ore), and you can use the silver to make kick-ass war hammers and bolts.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 422