Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880064 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4215 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »

Would changing dwarven ethics to eating sentients ok, cause them to butcher and eat a werebeast?
In that case, would it cause them to gain the werebeast trait?

Also, would I need to worry about dwarven green

EDIT: I'm also wondering does giving Child 1 mean they will grow up to adult in 1 year exactly?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:18:31 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: March 15, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

since were-creature trait is transmitted by being bitten by a were-beast and not by biting one, I'm sure it doesn't transmit by eating the meat

CHILD:1 should make it grow to adult in 1 year iirc, just as it does with animals. Might cause problems with beings that have a baby state as well
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: March 16, 2013, 08:30:49 am »

I'm planning on putting statues in a main corridor. How close do they have to be to improve dwarven moods? Do they have to be within one square of the dwarf, or can there be a longer distance? Or does the corridor have to be designated a room of some kind?

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:32 am »

I'm planning on putting statues in a main corridor. How close do they have to be to improve dwarven moods? Do they have to be within one square of the dwarf, or can there be a longer distance? Or does the corridor have to be designated a room of some kind?

Position doesn't increase the chances of them admiring them.  They're just as likely to admire a "divine bridge" or a "splendid hatch cover".
You'd be better off placing them in the dining hall, and smoothing the floor to increase it's value, helping it become a "legendary dining hall".
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:53 am »

Position doesn't increase the chances of them admiring them.  They're just as likely to admire a "divine bridge" or a "splendid hatch cover".You'd be better off placing them in the dining hall, and smoothing the floor to increase it's value, helping it become a "legendary dining hall".
Thanks. In fact, I've been meaning to ask about communal rooms - does each item have to be designated as a room? If I made a dormitory, for example, would I have to set each bed as a dorm?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: March 16, 2013, 09:37:47 am »

no, same with dining hall. Only archery targets need to be set all seperately, and single bedrooms. A barracks can be shared.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:36 pm »

When do Sieges typically start happening? I have the pop cap set at 40 so my fortress hasn't gotten over ~60ish in population though I've generated more than 20m wealth and am on year 16. Plenty of Ambushes but no Siege yet? Do I need to have a larger fortress?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »

Unmodded it requires at least 80 dwarves, I think.  The exact trigger mechanisms have never been particularly clear, and can be kind of random seeming otherwise.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: March 17, 2013, 01:29:56 am »

Do gem windows provide line of sight?
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: March 17, 2013, 03:38:11 am »

I'm having trouble making mead
I finally got honey, and I have a barrel to distill it to
It is giving me a no go, and the only red out bit is 'takes place at a still', even though, I have two stills available

Also, I want to make a prisoner deposit, a 'caught in the crossfires of combat' chamber, just for the fun of giving it a name
Anyhow, I looked on the wiki, and I can't for the life of me understand which are the bridges and which are the fortified walls (I play on a different texture pack, so I am not used to the default in some ways)

I also would LOVE help on a nice little arena as an alternate for my dwarves to fight prisoners in (This is one of those things I am hesitant on, and miffed on.)

Also, I have a tribe of rodent men and women from 5-6 people living in my second level cavern, and they are hostile as readings tell me
I want to be careful, especially since they have blow darts and all
I also wonder if I massacre them, will they have ghosts, and/OR, will more tribespeople (of same or different species) appear down there?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:46 am »

windows allow looking through, iirc, but not shooting through

imagine that, it's on the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Window
Quote from: wiki
Note that dwarves can see through windows, and (if civilian) will cancel jobs and run away from hostile creatures standing on the other side of the window. Animals can also see through windows, detecting thieves or ambushes on the other side of a window

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:19 am »

How do you make goblins progress towards you in a siege?  My first siege, none of them came at me, but rather they moved for a bit, then hid in a corner.  I sent a squad of marks dwarves after them and that got them moving a bit, and luckily my marksmen killed enough of them to make them retreat before they could inflict damages. 

My second siege has 3x as many invaders as the first one did, and that tactic isn't an option any more.  Used to be the goblins would just come at you unrelenting and you could thin them out with traps before taking on the survivors with your military.  Well, they don't seem to do that any more?  And I can't take on 40 goblins unaided.  So how do I get them to come at me now a days?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: March 17, 2013, 10:13:22 am »

usually goblins will come at you as long as there is an entrance to the fort. In fact, as long as there is something to kill somewhere. It misfires in several cases, the most well-known being flying and swimming mounts. In general, if the leader gets stuck somehow, the squad stops. If none of this is the case, note that it takes quite a while before the goblins realize the entrance is open again. It's not that they start when it opens and stop when it's closed. They're slow thinkers

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: March 17, 2013, 10:16:26 am »

windows allow looking through, iirc, but not shooting through

imagine that, it's on the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Window
Quote from: wiki
Note that dwarves can see through windows, and (if civilian) will cancel jobs and run away from hostile creatures standing on the other side of the window. Animals can also see through windows, detecting thieves or ambushes on the other side of a window

Thanks.  There's always mention of glass this and glass that, so because there's never any mention of gem windows, I thought perhaps they behaved differently.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:53 am »

I don't think so. It mentions (if I read it correctly) windows can be made from glass or gems, and then goes on about windows in general. Gem windows are a great way to store gems in a way that dwarfs will admire, but can give a serious headache in great quantities (so many colors, so sparkly)
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 422