Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880002 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4245 on: March 25, 2013, 05:05:29 am »

Yeah. Grazers are better given their own pastures to avoid this, and small meeting areas can cause problems.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: March 25, 2013, 07:54:17 am »

How far do layers of stone extend? For example, if I have a layer of granite would it be worthwhile to search at the same z-level for marble or will the granite layer cover the whole z-level (assuming one biome only)?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:33 am »

Assuming one biome, it will cover the whole level.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

can i breed wren/emu people by pitting them in a pit(duh) with next boxes if i have both genders?
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »

can i breed wren/emu people by pitting them in a pit(duh) with next boxes if i have both genders?
No. Their removal of the PET token and addition of the ability to speak stops them from breeding when they aren't married.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: March 28, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

I want to dam a river, in a way that I can deactivate the dam at the pull of a lever. It freezes in winter.
What's the best way to do it that won't deconstruct when the freeze happens?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:28 am »

I want to dam a river, in a way that I can deactivate the dam at the pull of a lever. It freezes in winter.

When it's frozen, channel a line from bank to bank. Install floodgates. Hook up floodgates to lever. (If you're safety conscious, you might build a little housing over the floodgates too, in case building destroyers want to go for them). The river freezing won't destroy the floodgates because there will be no water in their squares to destroy them. Do check that where you build your floodgate-dam is not a water-spawning tile - that could cause some troubles.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: March 28, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »

When it's frozen, channel a line from bank to bank. Install floodgates. Hook up floodgates to lever. (If you're safety conscious, you might build a little housing over the floodgates too, in case building destroyers want to go for them). The river freezing won't destroy the floodgates because there will be no water in their squares to destroy them. Do check that where you build your floodgate-dam is not a water-spawning tile - that could cause some troubles.
Note that with this design you will need to activate the dam prior to the water freezing, else the freezing water will end up harming your dam.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:03 am »

would a raising bridge work? I don't know if those deconstruct when in a frozen river
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Declanus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: March 29, 2013, 01:44:29 pm »

I've been making a empty pot and barrel stockpile, when they are made, they are put in that stockpile. However, lets say there is a pot with some brew in it. When the brew is used the pot won't get moved to the stockpile of empty pots. Is there anyway I can have all the empty ones, new or not, set to be moved to a empty pot/barrel stockpile? I've had many idle dwarfs, so it doesn't seem to be a priority issue. Any ideas?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: March 29, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »

I've been making a empty pot and barrel stockpile, when they are made, they are put in that stockpile. However, lets say there is a pot with some brew in it. When the brew is used the pot won't get moved to the stockpile of empty pots. Is there anyway I can have all the empty ones, new or not, set to be moved to a empty pot/barrel stockpile? I've had many idle dwarfs, so it doesn't seem to be a priority issue. Any ideas?

Have all the booze stockpiles set to give to the barrel stockpile?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

I have a dwarf, a ranger, who instead of green is madly flickering between yellow, red, and white. He's not on fire, nor injured in any way. I haven't seen anything strange about his profile, his equipment, or anything. Bug or feature?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:32 am »

You sure none of the dwarf's equipment is on fire?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: March 30, 2013, 09:16:44 am »

Positive. Upon reloading the game the wacky-colors have gone away, and he's back to the standard dark green. Probably just a glitch. He *could* set himself aflame, as there's open magma all over, but the only dwarves to accomplish that have been (all) the miners.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4259 on: March 30, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »

A miner Dwarf of mine's been possessed and is running around towards a workshop. Yet he's blinking as thirsty, something I've never seen a moody Dwarf show before. Is it possible my Dwarf is going to dehydrate to death, given an inability to focus on nothing else but working on the craft?
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 422