Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880054 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4185 on: March 11, 2013, 04:25:39 pm »

It's waves the symbol, similar to what you find on engravings. It's just the same as if you found a dwarf with a preference for "blazing suns" or "circles".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: March 11, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »

Went to examine a dwarf. She likes "waves".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would these be ocean waves, or waves decorating an item, or what? I couldn't find anything about this preference with all of the talk of migrant waves everywhere.

I'm sorry, but my mind is living at its summer home in scenic gutter
Likes Anaconda Men for their Great Size

Anyhow, I have a question, are lungfish supposed to be able to walk on land
I have not edited the lungfish files, and I believe they are walking on land
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:08 pm »

I went to the DFwiki page, typed "lungfish" into the webby searchy thing and got DF2012:Lungfish
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: March 11, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »

Went to examine a dwarf. She likes "waves".

Would these be ocean waves, or waves decorating an item, or what? I couldn't find anything about this preference with all of the talk of migrant waves everywhere.

Are you concerned about how they may influence a dwarf?  If so, iirc, materials and images only increase the appreciation level of an object, and nobles no longer demand material, colour, animal etc.  If Urist McSleepy loved willow, his masterwork oak bed would seem even better if it was willow too, but making it out of willow won't increase the chances of him observing it for a good thought.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »

Yes, they can walk on land.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: March 11, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »

I mostly want to figure out how to make Peregrine falcons appear in all places and biomes
[ALL_LAND] will do that. Adding [UBIQUITOUS] will make them appear in every region of the appropriate biome (which, in this case, is pretty much all of them). But yeah, if you want peregrine falcons available all the time, make them domestic. They're most of the way there already, having the appropriate breeding tokens, and need only the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tokens to make them as available as cats.

Another matter, anyone know the mineral value of an EVERYWHERE option?
I'm trying to make my custom world parameters, and I want to know if EVERYWHERE is the highest option in terms of the numbers, or if I can get it higher
Exported the worldgen settings for a pocket world, and it's 100, the minimum scarcity. You can export these setting either by going into Legends mode and pressing p, or by exporting at least one level of your fortress. To do that, you press Escape, select Export Local Image, and press Enter. By default, every layer on which you have buildings is selected. Deselect as many as you like, and press e. The game will then dump some very large pictures to your DF folder, plus three text files. You want just one of the text files, the one with 'param' in its name. This has the worldgen parameters, and you can copy these to data/init/world-gen.txt. The text file can be edited directly, though you'll need to restart DF for it to read the changes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: March 11, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »

I always thought the lower the number, the more scarce the minerals are....
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: March 11, 2013, 09:26:51 pm »

The lower the number, the less mineral scarcity there is.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:19 am »

The lower the number, the less mineral scarcity there is.
i.e. minerals are less scarce, and therefore may be found more easily.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:07 am »

how do you engrave metal on objects?

i can find stud but that just studes the object and doesn'r engrave (like appels)
or does my dwarf needs more skill first?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:07 am »

Studding is the only way to decorate an object with metal. It will create a somewhat-random decoration (studs, bands etc. but there's also a chance of creating an image) and will be applied to the nearest item which doesn't contain that metal as material already (as decoration or base). I've no idea what apples have to do with it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:14 am »

I'm guessing the apples were a reference to decorating the item with an image.  So, yes, it's random what ends up actually going on an item when you stud it with metal.  I don't know for sure, but I do believe that skill has something to do with it.  Engravings on walls seem to generally be simple shapes with low skill and elaborate scenes with higher skill, so it could well work the same for item decorations.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: March 12, 2013, 11:21:55 am »

I might be wrong, but I think dwarf preferences come into it as well. Like a dwarf that loves traction benches is more likely to engrave things with their image. Is that true?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: March 12, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »

That's one theory that is probably true.  It's also apparent that dwarves like to create images of others, where the subject is surrounded by things that they like or hate.

As an example, I ordered a few statues made and had one produced of my baroness.  She was surrounded by raccoons, which she liked.  I've also heard tales of people making statues of dwarves surrounded by vermin that the dwarf hates, usually in a terrified pose of some sort.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: March 12, 2013, 01:36:16 pm »

yup. I had one of my mayor surrounded by worms
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 422