Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880877 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2805 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:53 pm »

Can (tamed) rattlesnakes be weaponized in any way?

Are they good for anything?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 06, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »

Breed 200 of them and drop them on enemies.

This also works with puppies.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:08 am »

z - stocks menu says I have a bunch of rope reed cloths. My cloth stockpile has one huge bin full of cloth, including rope reed cloths. And i haven't built a hospital yet.

Clothier says i don't have any, no matter if I assign the pile to the shop or not. Any tips or techniques to go about this?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:51 am »

they bite and have venom, I can only see win. I used King Cobras for this and it was actually great for catching and killing thieves since their venom caused paralysis. No kobold ever made it off the map

z - stocks menu says I have a bunch of rope reed cloths. My cloth stockpile has one huge bin full of cloth, including rope reed cloths. And i haven't built a hospital yet.

Clothier says i don't have any, no matter if I assign the pile to the shop or not. Any tips or techniques to go about this?

it's possible, since it's all in one bin, that every time the clothier goes to get cloth, some hauler picks up the bin to get newly made cloth from the weaver (possibly also thread from processing)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:34 am »

As garath says, it's probably a matter of dwarves going to collect cloth using the bin, making it not available to tailors/doctors trying to use it. My best workaround would be to forbid bins from your cloth stockpile, which sucks in another way. :/

Also if you're needing it for doctors, not tailors, put a chest or two in the hospital.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: August 07, 2012, 09:22:26 am »

As garath says, it's probably a matter of dwarves going to collect cloth using the bin, making it not available to tailors/doctors trying to use it. My best workaround would be to forbid bins from your cloth stockpile, which sucks in another way. :/

Also if you're needing it for doctors, not tailors, put a chest or two in the hospital.

maybe one and forbid anything but cloth and thread and hpe for heavens sake it gets full fast or simply DON'T PUT STORAGE IN A HOSPITAL AS THE WIKI AND MANY PLAYERS WILL TELL YOU. If you wonder about the caps, have you any idea how many questions we've had lately about weird hospital storage behavior lately?

this forum might as well remove the search function
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:40 am »

Or setup a ring approach around your clothier workshop. 

- Put the workshop in the middle of the room.
- Wrap a stockpile around that (14 tiles worth) which uses bins, only takes from links
- Wrap an outer stockpile around that, which uses bins, but takes from everywhere
- Give from the outer to the inner stockpile, give from the inner stockpile to the workshop

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 07, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

Yeah, the hospital storage is being icky lately, BUT if the original poster was having trouble getting cloth for bandages due to a bin, putting storage in the hospital could help with it, weirdness or not. Eventually at least some cloth would be snatched from the bin when it's not in transit, and put in the hospital.

But yeah, if you go that route keep in mind that hospital storage (along with bins) has gone haywire, as far as capacity goes.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 09, 2012, 04:52:30 am »

Just caught some thrips men and women, can I do anything with them other than dump them into magma?  And can they fly?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 09, 2012, 05:41:09 am »

They can fly, but you can't tame or butcher them. You could try to breed them, then stuff them in cages and use them as weapons against goblins. It's probably not worth the effort, though.
I wonder if the game has become odd.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 09, 2012, 06:10:01 am »

Don't particularly feel like releasing them into the caverns, even if it is the third cavern the magma column thingy opens into.  Guess I'll have to build a room immediately above the magma sea to take care of them, or wouldn't that work?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 09, 2012, 06:52:41 am »

Yes, channel above magma, drop them in with a pit zone.

You could also atom smash them, or use them to train your military.
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:40 am »

If you just keep them in cages they will die of old age at the start of the next year due to Toady not adding in the MAXAGE:X tokens to the insect men/women.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:57 am »

If you just keep them in cages they will die of old age at the start of the next year due to Toady not adding in the MAXAGE:X tokens to the insect men/women.

regular giant insects have a maxage of 1:1, most insect men/women have maxage 60:80

they're good practice for your military though

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »

Do armor stands and weapon racks work as containers for equipment storage? That is, are they bugged so that nothing gets stored in them? If they do work, how do I get storage to happen? (I have turned on I and Q for squads, but still nothing is in the armor stands and weapon racks when I [t] them. I suspect it has something to do with changing to civilian uniforms when off duty, but I tried that also and it didn't work.)
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 422