Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880869 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2820 on: August 09, 2012, 02:29:14 pm »

As far as I know, storage of equipment in armor stands in a barracks does nothing.  I don't even know what you'd want it to do if it were actually "working"... why would you ever want your dwarves to remove their armor?  It's hard enough to get the little bastards to wear it in the first place.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 09, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »

Got a good chuckle out of what happened when I dumped the thrips men into the magma sea, they popped back out and died on fire next to the hatches *chuckle* luckily the dwarves had already hurried back to their booze pots.

First time this has ever happened to me (must be a fortress for firsts), the military won't wear their helms, gauntlets or high boots no matter what I've tried.  Is there a trick to get them to go pick them up?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:19 pm »

As far as I know, storage of equipment in armor stands in a barracks does nothing.  I don't even know what you'd want it to do if it were actually "working"... why would you ever want your dwarves to remove their armor?  It's hard enough to get the little bastards to wear it in the first place.

Agreed, but one conceivable reason would be soldiers working faster when off duty, since they would be less encumbered.  Considering how much of a hassle getting soldiers equipped, how marginal the difference in production would be, and how you probably want soldiers training almost constantly anyway, there's no real point.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22:19 pm »

Somewhere along the way, in the v34 patch designs, Toady changed the uniform matching from Partial to Exact. 

Partial is any armor material that'll fill the slot requests.  Something like:
Code: [Select]
any cloth->any(wood-bone-shell-leather)->any metal
Exact is the specified armor only, no fillers, slot remains empty. 

When talking about each individual piece in a specific uniform, another words, like say for example:
Exact Match for Metal Shield/Buckler was in the Metal Uniform.(Default)

But the Player's stockpiles haven't a Metal Shield/Bucker, the AI will fill Shield with a Wood Shield/Buckler, if they are available.  This is Partial, and it now NOT the default setting, Exact is.  No idea why it was changed, but I'd prefer it back the way it was.  Many players must have complained.  *shrug*

The option to Save the Uniforms we design between games, so its not a constant repetitive and redundant task, each and every game, has been recommended numerous times to the Mod makers and to Toady.  Cheers!  Heres hoping someone saw the suggestions.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:26 am »

Finally got them to put on all their armour by telling them to replace their cloathing with their armour.

Do forgotten beasts eventually wander out of a cavern? 
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:27 am »

I've had them wander out of sight, but never leave once they were on map.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:07 am »

I've had them wander out of sight, but never leave once they were on map.

Joy.  Guess I'm not actually going into the caverns with this fort then, there's 4 down there. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: August 10, 2012, 09:24:42 am »

what kind? some of them are quite weak and upright spike traps linked to a lever can severely disable one or even kill them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:07 pm »

Esnust Stasost Sposnu
A towering quadruped composed of lavender jade.  It has a broad shell and it undulates rhythmically.  Beware its poisonous gas!

Nuwetha
An enormous hairy flat worm.  It has a square shell and it is ravening.  Its gray hair is long and shaggy.  Beware its webs!

Oggez
A huge pterosaur with lidless eyes.  It has a pair of fan-like antennae and it undulates rhythmically.  Its turquoise scales are large and close-set.  Beware its fire!

Urer Snoduburer
A towering cavy with external ribs.  It has large mandibles and it undulate rhythmically.  Its pale brown hair is long and straight.  Beware its deadly spittle!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: August 11, 2012, 08:34:25 am »

three of those can be killed with spikes or at a distance since they are organic. The jade one has to be hacked apart though, and poisonous gas, while not the worst, isn't good
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: August 11, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »

And I'm guessing adamantine helms don't act as gas masks.

edited for typing the wrong metal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:19:59 pm by ElenaRoan »

gobe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: August 11, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a little bit, sorry to start with questions, but while I've figured out a bunch or rather complicated (to me) things in this game.. I can't seem to get some details straight.

Q: How do you build a specific item of a specific material (in my case in order to fill a demand from my stupid baron)?

and another one..

Q: Why do my soldiers go after goblins (or trolls or undead or whatever) when they see them, even if they are outside my fortress and my dwarfs have specific orders to do something else then attack? Alternatively, how do I prevent this from happening, just build my fortress so that they won't see the enemies before those have actually had a chance to step on traps?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked before.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: August 11, 2012, 08:34:09 pm »

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a little bit, sorry to start with questions, but while I've figured out a bunch or rather complicated (to me) things in this game.. I can't seem to get some details straight.

Q: How do you build a specific item of a specific material (in my case in order to fill a demand from my stupid baron)?

and another one..

Q: Why do my soldiers go after goblins (or trolls or undead or whatever) when they see them, even if they are outside my fortress and my dwarfs have specific orders to do something else then attack? Alternatively, how do I prevent this from happening, just build my fortress so that they won't see the enemies before those have actually had a chance to step on traps?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked before.
1. It depends on what item and what material. Sometimes these can't be fulfilled because you just can't usually do it (eg. bronze bed can't be done normally, as beds are only made out of wood (barring strange moods)), but other times it can be done (eg. lead goblet). Try using the manager screen to order the material and item. Otherwise, don't worry - it's a demand, and not a mandate, which means that the noble will be disappointed, but he won't punish anyone for it.

2. No idea.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

gobe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »

Thanks for the quick answer. Using the manager is pretty smart, thanks. In this particular case, I indeed can't fill his demand :( lay pewter bed in tomb.. oh well this game is only beta after all. Or maybe by design nobles are crazy :P

Anyway, still curious about how to keep control of my military. Lost 12 dwarves to a siege, because they basically ran out to meet the opposition without orders. I've looked into it and one dwarf (not 12 though) has had a martial mood triggered somehow. I hadn't realized those existed.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »

Nobles are crazy, especially when they order special beds - my mayor demanded a bronze bed, I ignored him.

On the other hand, use station commands to make your dwarven militia form up safely, then send them charging in. Martial trances increase the killing power of dwarves.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 422