Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881253 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2475 on: July 04, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

My dwarves complain about old clothing. How many different types of clothing should I make to make them happy (head, shoulders, knees, toes, etc)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:45 pm »

My dwarves complain about old clothing. How many different types of clothing should I make to make them happy (head, shoulders, knees, toes, etc)

Shoes, trousers, shirt.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »

it gets annoying when you make hoods and your civvies grab them and the spares
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: July 04, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »

The problem is that if a cap exists anywhere, some dwarf will claim it and wear it.  If it's the only cap in the whole fortress (because you don't make them, as a policy), then they'll continue wearing it as it gets old and tattered, and they'll get bad thoughts from that.  The same applies to dresses, togas, robes, loincloths, and any other type of clothing that you do not (and/or cannot) produce.

If you could prevent immigrants (peaceful or otherwise) from every bringing caps, loincloths, gloves, dresses, etc. onto the map, then life would be dramatically simpler.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

Another unrelated question: when you abandon a fort, will closed floodgates stop the scatter of goods? What about locked doors?
No, even entombing items in a sealed-off room won't stop scatter.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »

Another unrelated question: when you abandon a fort, will closed floodgates stop the scatter of goods? What about locked doors?
DFHack does have a command that will stop them i you really want them to stay and don't mind cheating a little bit. Basically you just mark your site as a megabeast lair and then things won't be scattered when you reclaim.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: July 05, 2012, 08:22:11 am »

In my fort there seems to be a coming of age ceremony in which a child starts throwing tantrums due to their unacceptable nakedness. This has twice led to melancholy. My record keeper isn't worth the booze I feed her, so I've no clue if I have any clothing, but I should have thought I'd have enough clothes for them, as I have a regular turnover of goblinite. Uh, is this a bug or am I just terrible at providing enough clothes for my fort?

Are you playing 34.11 or an older version? At www.bay12games.com/dwarves the last post before version 34.11 includes "handled child clothing thoughts, hopefully for real this time". Children getting bad thoughts from lack of clothes is a bug, childhood should be a transitional state, where they don't mind being naked, but will claim clothes so they wouldn't tantrum immediately upon becoming adults.

Easiest way to see if you have spare (nudity-thought-removing) clothes is to have 3 stockpiles that only take shirts, shoes and trouser each, and only take from links (which are to your clothier's/leatherworker's workshops). Then you can see at a glance how many (fortress-made) clothes you have in stock. You could have less restrictive settings if you also wanted to include goblinite, but then you'd have trouble keeping the worn clothes out of the stockpiles.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: July 05, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

I'm up to a population of 130 dwarves now, about 3 years in, and have yet to be sieged. When I check the civilization screen, I see that both kobolds and goblins have a "P" next to them, yet I have seen both thieves and snatchers ( I might have lost a baby or two...)
Will I get sieged if I just keep waiting, or do I need to go piss off some humans/elves?

Thanks!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure if you get goblin thieves you'll get sieges if you have enough dwarves and wealth.

Kobolds are skulking I believe, which means they will only send ambushes or sieges if they steal enough crap.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:59 pm »

I'm up to a population of 130 dwarves now, about 3 years in, and have yet to be sieged. When I check the civilization screen, I see that both kobolds and goblins have a "P" next to them, yet I have seen both thieves and snatchers ( I might have lost a baby or two...)
Will I get sieged if I just keep waiting, or do I need to go piss off some humans/elves?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that fortress wealth affects both siege frequency, size and strength (I think all 3, but at least some of them). So make some really expensive artifacts, or smooth the whole place, then engrave with legendary engravers, etc.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: July 05, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »

If I have my Doctors (dwarves with diagnosis, wound treatment, surgery, etc enabled) also dissect small animals and become butchers, will they be better doctors or are these skills unrelated?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 05, 2012, 06:15:52 pm »

Unrelated.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: July 05, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »

4 years now, with 180 dwarves, and over 2 million created wealth. Am I just not going to get a siege?

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: July 05, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »

Just lost my second dwarf to neglect in a hospital. Have a hospital almost fully stocked, including soap. Have a surgeon who has every single thing disabled in his labours except medical related tasks. The dwarf I just lost was my expedition leader.

This is unacceptable.

How do I get them to care for Hospitalized dwarves? Also, there's a corpse in the hospital from the first guy they still haven't moved... /shakeshead

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »

There's a wildly held opinion that you should prioritize a dwarf's willingness to help others (maybe sense of duty too) over any actual existing medical knowledge when picking your doctors.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 422