Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881239 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2145 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

How many tiles will a bolt travel in 100 steps? I'm hoping to recreate this using a minecart to get a very accurate repeater, but I need to know how long to make the shooting range.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: June 11, 2012, 05:24:41 pm »

What's the minimum amount of clothing I can get away with producing? I'm hoping to limit production to shoes, robes, and gloves (for safe hauling). Will dwarves complain about no lower body covering even though robes have [LBSTEP:MAX]?

Robes don't prevent bad thoughts from lack of legwear.  You need trousers, loincloths, or something else from the "legwear" subcategory of Finished Goods.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:20 pm »

Quick water pressure question. I built a dwarven water reactor, and was filling up the pond zone before I went to prime the pump. But the reactor started up on it's own, without any dwarf starting the screw pump manually. So my question is, does dumping water down one z-level via a pond zone produce pressure, and therefore flow?

I wouldn't call it pressure, but flow yes, since the water depth below the wheel is fluctuating when filling the pond. I also observed reactors starting of their own when filling them up via ponds.

The safest way to set up a water reactor is to have the intake covered with a hatch, because otherwise it becomes very difficult to switch off, and when it is being filled it might start up (and if it is connected up to other water reactors, it will start those up as well). Connect the hatch up to the lever. Once the reactor is "full" open the hatch and have a dwarf run the pump to get it going. If you want to switch off the reactor, close up the hatch.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 11, 2012, 06:12:57 pm »

Robes don't prevent bad thoughts from lack of legwear.
Didn't think they would. :/
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 11, 2012, 07:39:31 pm »

Am I the only one for whom Dwarf Therapist is not working with 34.11?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:11 pm »

Use splinterz' clone, that works with 34.11.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 11, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »

(p) and (e) gives a list of animal to assign

Doesnt it say "X animals assigned" (to this dwarf) when in that menu, somewhere on the bottom of the screen? It used to...
It does, but that display is currently bugged and does not always update correctly when changing between dwarfs.

What I've found to work around this bug, is when I'm checking which dwarf has animals assigned, each time I select a new dwarf, hit (p), then (e) again, even though you're already at the assigned animals window.  It seems to reset to the current dwarf if you do this each time.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:43 am »

Am I the only one for whom Dwarf Therapist is not working with 34.11?

check the modding forum thread on therapist. If there is a new version, you'll find it there. If there are problems with it, there they'll know how to fix it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 12, 2012, 02:06:45 am »

(thanks for replies & solution for animal assignment)

CaptainArchmage : before the pump I do have a channelling, since it pumps on Z below. To set up a hatch, I shall have something to support it, does it work if there a ramp?

Pump Pump Space
Wall   Wall   Water Water
Wall   Wall   Wall    Wall 

Pump Pump Space
Wall   Wall   Ramp Water
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 12, 2012, 02:16:00 am »

Pump Pump Hatch
Wall   Wall   Water Water

Pump Pump Hatch
Wall   Wall   Ramp Water

The yellow ones will support the hatch.
(a>b) ? false : true

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:14 am »

I recently had a fire break out on the surface, scorching the map. Since it has done that, however, my dorfs have encountered a bug of some sort. They decide that they want to put something in a stockpile, head to the surface, and when they get to a certain point they just stop with the message "drop-off inaccessible". After cancelling, they stay completely still, not even to get food/drink. I know that the stockpiles aren't accessbile, because there's other traffic going back and forth from the surface that has no problem. Every item on the surface is forbidden, but they still keep getting these jobs. What can I do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 12, 2012, 05:13:03 am »

do you have a burrows in effect?

otherwise, no clue actually
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 12, 2012, 11:34:12 am »

Sry to be back - again - but I waited 7 seasons and have no clues of my miner's behavior.
They're.. what?!? dwarfs ? ok that explains A LOT but still, even for dwarves:
  • I have now up to 5 miners working around the clock
  • channelling for a moat is design for more than a year
  • miners happilly dig everywhere EXEPT outside channelling
  • two of the five miners are freshs migrants (no outside fear)
  • no burrow restriction, no forbiden tiles, no alert : other dwarfs, like military patrols, pass by the (never dug) channel
  • tile to be channelled flash but not such a job in job list (be may be it's "dig"?)
  • job list: no cancelled/impossible job
  • google/search forum does not seems to bring back bugs
  • inconclusives tests: digging at the same Z level works, re-designing a channel area next to the old one is not done (just in case jobs gets forgotten between save/load game sessions
  • no magma or flooding alerts (cf job list: none are canceled/suspended
I'm out of clue...  :'(
(I'm now waiting for every other digging orders to clear up)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:41:57 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:15 am »

interesting. If it flashes in 3 stages, it is taken as job. I've had it take ages some times for a dwarf to actually get there though (he had to get from 60 levels below where he had been digging marble).

Upload a save, I'd say, maybe someone wants to take a look at it. I'll do it if it's 34.07, since I only started with the minecart/hauling update in 34.11, so I'm still a bit new at that. :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 12, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

Question: [34.11] Is anyone else experiencing Defend Burrow anomalies/changes since upgrading?  Do these ordered soldiers now defend it from outside, instead of from within?  I have a squad of 10 marksdwarfs breaking Defend Burrow orders, 5 of the 10 are supposed to defend a 1x1 murderhole burrow.  However, what they do is nothing of the sort.  They keep charging out of the goblin grinder hall the murderhole overlooks, to engage enemies.  Unordered, breaking rank and file, they just take off at the goblin, when ORDERED to Defend Burrow...  I must be using the alerts wrong..  I dunno.  Military orders to Defend Burrow seem pretty clear, I select the 1x1 burrow, for them all to stand in.  Why is this happening, and has this changed?  Only asking because I miss the previous forts I had, with very nice and regimented sniper squads, that followed my order, Defend Burrow, as recent as with [34.07], but [34.11], they seem to charge off to their deaths.  Right now I have a wounded militia captain chasing down a goblin, some 20 blocks from the 1x1 murderhole burrow, that he's supposed to be defending.  Thanks, Knutor

@argelle,
Deeper digs are prioritized over surface digs.  Stop digging down, until Moat is finished, or x away digging work orders to free up miners.  Do your miners report No Job?  They won't channel thru 4/7+ deep water, drain it down under 4/7, by spreading it out, or pumping it away.

@ed boy,
Did you have workstations built out of lumber, burn? It may not be related to a stockpile, but workstations.  Ghost items, that poofed as a result of the fire?  Wood ordered to be cut, that is no longer wood, but ash..  Dunno.

How long has it been looping or frozen and the AI been broken?  Maybe turn on all the error msgs, to try and find a trend with certain workers.  Like lumberjacks, woodcrafters.

I'm guessing here.. but I'd say its similar to the lil fella going to get a drink from 1/7 pool, and then when he reaches it, finding that, that specific 1/7 droplet was drunken by another lil fella, or pumped out of the pool or evap'ed, or covered over, and now 2/7, and he has to switch to the upper droplet or something. 

I view those messages as more complaints, than errors.  I get a ton of inaccessibles in military squads, as a result of them trying to fight something, their squadmate disposed of already, pickup something that was ninja'd by a squadmate, or generally just failing to find a path. 

Never had one stuck in a loop however, my lil fellas have cleared their AI at some point..  Good luck, Knutor 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 422