Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881277 times)

Arbalor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 08, 2012, 11:05:42 am »

I dont know if this is a bug or what but for whatever reason my dorfs refuse to put any of the finished goods in bins in the stockpile making a new one doesnt seem to help either

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: June 08, 2012, 11:11:43 am »

the new cleaning system makes putting stuff like that into bins a little strange. one possibility is a dwarf selecting a craft to bring to a bin. meanwhile, another dwarf takes the bin to the workshop where a craft has just been finished. first dwarf sees no bin and goes store item in stockpile. This can potentially cause the whole stockpile to be full of crafts, but no bins, after which a new bin is fetched etc etc.

also:
far down the trade list should be crafts, but the screen usually shows finished goods bin. It may also not list anything that is still cluttering a workshop
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

Quick water pressure question. I built a dwarven water reactor, and was filling up the pond zone before I went to prime the pump. But the reactor started up on it's own, without any dwarf starting the screw pump manually. So my question is, does dumping water down one z-level via a pond zone produce pressure, and therefore flow?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »

Quick water pressure question. I built a dwarven water reactor, and was filling up the pond zone before I went to prime the pump. But the reactor started up on it's own, without any dwarf starting the screw pump manually. So my question is, does dumping water down one z-level via a pond zone produce pressure, and therefore flow?

I wouldn't call it pressure, but flow yes, since the water depth below the wheel is fluctuating when filling the pond. I also observed reactors starting of their own when filling them up via ponds.
(a>b) ? false : true

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 08, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »

In the same vein, how do I route power off of a reactor? The wiki suggests that I can route off of the wheel itself, but the center tile of the wheel is blocked by the wall keeping the upper reservoir from flooding out, and every axle and gear I place next to the wheel shows as unpowered.

EDIT: Ah, figured it out. I'm drawing power by running an axle from the screw pump, over the empty tile into a gear assembly. Thanks for the help, though. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:40:06 pm by saintjebus »

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 08, 2012, 07:06:06 pm »

I checked my stock and there are lots of crowns and sceptres and alike, but I can't see them anywhere in the list to move to the depot.

What's going on? Has something changed in this area?

Has your mayor banned the export of certain craft types? Bins containing any banned items are excluded from the transfer screen, but can be included with [m]. If not, crafts etc. will be in "Finished Goods" bins which you can find by [s]earching for "fin". You can examine the exact contents of the bins in the transfer screen.

If you set up a stockpile next to your depot that takes only your intended trade goods, this will save you time in the long run.

I don't even have an Mayor yet, its too early. Just an expedition leader who hasn't made any bans and alike.
It seems quite odd, but if no one else is having this problem it must be something I did, or didn't do, relating to the storage piles?
But why they are not visible to transfer to the depot at all is strange. Even if they are stuck in the workshop then they should be available to move to the Depot? *sigh*

Edit: Okay, an elvish caravan just showed up (the previous was dwarven) and my my crafts were all sitting in bins under the craft category in the transfer to Depot list. Very odd. Oh well. its better now. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:14:53 pm by PenguinHero »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: June 08, 2012, 07:56:56 pm »

I have several questions
How do you disarm prisoners in cages?
 WHen transfering a armed sentient creature from one cage to another, will they attack or break loose?
Will marksdwarves fire down or up Z levels?
If they can, will they do from when behind fortifications?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: June 08, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »

I have several questions
 WHen transfering a armed sentient creature from one cage to another, will they attack or break loose?

Disarming and Mass Pitting should take care of your first two questions. 

From experience I can say the answer to the other 2 questions is yes (I have a balcony of fortification 1 z-level above my fort entrance, and my dwarves shoot down onto advancing goblins, and up at dive-bombing Owl Titans).  Be aware that Dwarves can only shoot for 20 tiles in any direction, so for every z-level up you station them, their range at ground level is reduced by one.  Also, they will have a 'blind spot' extending diagonally downward out from wherever they are (e.g. in my example, any goblins who run all the way up and hug the wall below the fortification where my marksdwarves are, can't be targeted and are safe.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:05:26 pm by Xen0n »

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 08, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »

Do human caravans only carry large clothing and armor? If so, that's very annoying...

I have several questions

The "Cage" article on the wiki has answers for the first question. Basically, the "d-b" menu can designate dumping over all the items in a square (d-b-d) - but undump the cage. [I like to d-b-h a cage, look for the hidden weapon in the stocks, and dump it from there, so prisoners are armored, but not armed]
Not sure about transferring cages. I believe dwarves get startled by enemies, and let them go. Shorter distances are better. (Or I may be wrong, and it may be fine). Put soldiers/cage traps if you're going to do that often.
Yes, they will fire up or down. They're most accurate, with the greatest range, on their own level, though.
Yes, one of the main features of fortifications is to fire down on enemies.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

Do human caravans only carry large clothing and armor? If so, that's very annoying...

At the very least, you can purchase and melt down all the large metal armor if you are low on ores  :P

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: June 08, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »

when disarming goblins, don't forget to not only dump over the cage, but also claim their stuff
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 09, 2012, 06:12:27 am »

50 dwarves, most of them not giving a dam about crafts  :'(
I them go in DFtherapist and deactivate hauling (not cleaning?) for dwarves I want to finally go crafting, carpenting..etc..

My question : is hauling different from (insert name here*) ? I'm afraid forbiding hauling will have the secondary effect of getting unemployed crafters.

* "the act for a crafter to go and fetch his item (wood...) and the act whereby item beeing transform (mug..) to put it back into the appropriate stockpile"
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: June 09, 2012, 06:42:30 am »

No, deactivating hauling doesnt stop them from grabbing the materials they need to work.
(a>b) ? false : true

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:16 am »

They can and will, so long as they are directly adjacent to the fortification, and have a straight path to the enemy.

Side view:
Code: [Select]
   FD    D)warf behind F)ortification can shoot the k)obold
.k.#.    as long as he's at least one step away from the wall.

FD    Dwarf can't shoot the kobold when he's right up against the wall.
..k#.   
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

While generating a new world it created dark human fortress and dark dwarven fortress.
Should I expect human and dwarven ambushes or sieges? What is it anyway (I thought that dark fortresses are only made by goblins)?

Also what is interesting s that these two fortresses are connected with road - that is something I have never seen before for dark fortresses.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 422