Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881151 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2175 on: June 13, 2012, 01:04:17 am »

Yes, however, I noticed the higher value animals, don't reproduce as fast, and some require nest boxes, like the black mamba.  My SCIENCE shows bats need underground pens. 

Aslong as their is a male visiting the region somewhere, a female can give birth.  You don't have to have a tame male. 

My elk birds didn't seem to want to reproduce, and I even gave them nest boxes.  So some maynot.  I may not have waited long enough.  It took about nine seasons for a giant female bat I had once to reproduce.  And it had only 1 baby, but that wasn't with this version.  *shrug*  Knutor

I've had elk birds breeding fine, so something else may be at work. I've noticed that taming reinforcement can make the female move or crouch, killing the eggs so to speak. And while black mambas lay eggs, unless the raws for it have been changed, you might want to add a child tag.

Anyone knows what affects the new mining drop rates? I was stunned when my  newly imported fort didn't strip mine my oh so delicious iron column, lovingly left intact until legendary miners were trained became barren.

It's 25% all around with no variation based on skill. Skill only changes speed now.

It's 100% with small clusters, however. (Gems, horn silver, etc.)

to add to this:
to compensate for fewer ores dropping and fewer stones, ores now melt into 4x the amount of bars. Stones that are cut into blocks produce 4 blocks. Your metal industry shouldn't worry and you still get enough material for megaprojects, you just have to cut blocks first. The only thing that got hit was steel production, since you get less flux
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2176 on: June 13, 2012, 07:21:07 am »

My elk birds didn't seem to want to reproduce, and I even gave them nest boxes.  So some maynot.  I may not have waited long enough.  It took about nine seasons for a giant female bat I had once to reproduce. 
Elk birds are difficult to breed because elk birds are both grazers and egglayers.  Since a brooding female does not move from the nestbox, a brooding elk bird will slowly starve to death.  I've done it successfully, but it's very hard.

As far as I can tell, all egglayers in DF have eggs that hatch in approximately three month's time.  If you have an egglayer in brood longer than that, her eggs were not fertilized and will never hatch, and you should forcibly remove them from the nest so that she'll lay another brood, hopefully fertilized this time.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 13, 2012, 08:36:31 am »

Thanks fellas, that explains a ton.  Now I have to tame more, more, more.  HEHE.  I'm glad you guys are here, and said that about the eggs, that makes lots of sense. Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 13, 2012, 11:39:55 am »

Not sure if this belongs here but:

My Military won't use bolts. I have them with Copper Xbows and bolts assigned to them in the ammo page, they all equip quivers and I have spare Bolts yet their quivers remain empty and they like to hammer their foes instead... Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 13, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »

Not sure if this belongs here but:

My Military won't use bolts. I have them with Copper Xbows and bolts assigned to them in the ammo page, they all equip quivers and I have spare Bolts yet their quivers remain empty and they like to hammer their foes instead... Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Not sure of the underlying cause, but try issuing a {s}quad {m}ove command and station them on top of your ammo stockpile, see if it makes them load their quivers.

QUESTION:

I'm on my lifelong quest to get the whole "separate section of the fort at the magma sea and the surface" to work.  (In 34.07).  My current impasse is that even with separate dining halls and food / booze stockpiles in both mini-forts, and even with particular dwarves burrowed in their respective mini-fort, I get the job cancellation spam when they decide they absolutely must put the half-finished barrel of beer back in the booze stockpile on the surface, instead of the one they just picked it up from in the magma sea, for whatever reason.

If I don't use burrows and let them choose themselves, half the time they choose the dining hall / booze pile in the opposite fort instead of the one 3 steps away.

So my idea is: If I force all civilians to use flasks/waterskins filled with alcohol by making civilian squads, then make sure they all are outfitted with flasks, and no longer use barrels/pot to store food (just use prepared meals on stockpiles with barrels disabled), will the civilians drink from their flasks, and never pick up a barrel/pot again?  If I could get them to stop taking drinks from barrels, I could stop them from wanting to put the barrel back in some far-away stockpile, and then the burrow-method would work.  I assume they then would jut keep refilling their flasks from the barrels, which I don't think creates a "return item to stockpile" job.

The only remaining problem would be that I would probably have to make a single "empty pot/barrel" stockpile in the middle between the two mini-forts, for when they empty a barrel by filling their flasks, and make it a part of both burrows (otherwise I'd get the same issues with them wanting to put the item in the stockpile that is too far away.)

tl;dr: Will civilians in civilian squads outfitted with booze flasks always drink from them instead of booze barrels, despite not being active military?
Any ideas?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 13, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »

Yes, and they take fewer trips to the booze pile and spend less time there when they do.

They do need some sort of torso clothing to tuck the waterskin or flask into.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: June 13, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »

Yes, and they take fewer trips to the booze pile and spend less time there when they do.

Excellent!  Hopefully this can make some thing simpler (at the moment my doctor + nursedwarves' burrow includes not only the hospital, but every cloth, thread, barrel/pot, and drink stockpile in the fortress.  They were all systematically added each time a new string of endless job cancellations came from a nurse and I had to track down which stockpile they were trying to return the beer barrel/thread they just picked up to  :( )

Glyndŵr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: June 13, 2012, 04:29:04 pm »

Forgive me for judging this to be the modern successor to the "Little Questions" threads we once had here, but I have some questions for you gentlemen.

1. Does magma burn away all impurities - including dust?

2. Does water cleanse dwarves and remove the need for soap?

3. Is it possible to have some kind of cleaning system installed in a fortress corridor - e.g. floor at the top is split into two small tunnels filled with magma in one tunnel and water in the other, floor below is just the corridor but has magma safe grates, floor at the bottom is empty and large enough for the magma/water to evaporate on its own. The water would drop down from the top floor, cleaning the dwarves of any dust, then the dwarves leave and then magma is poured in after the water evaporates. The magma burns away all the dust that is collected at the grates or on the floor.

4. Can enemies destroy these floor grates/open flood gates, rendering the system worthless in the event of a siege?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:33:03 pm by Glyndŵr »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 13, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »

Same thing happened here, Rawb.  Cept my xbow traps were not getting reloaded.  Have over 300 xbows in traps, begging for ammo.  So this is what I did. The way I fixed it was with a 110 z-level, corner to far corner, reclaim.  Now nothing in my z-stock, if forbid.  Nothing in the entire region is forbid.  This has a few drawbacks, you might want to avoid doing it, while a trade caravan is visiting.  Or while there is a nasty in an opened cavern.  However if the environ looks safe, and dwarfs are just standing about with there proverbial thumb up there keester... then try this.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/keester

I know some of you were wondering...  Yes, I am a scrabble god!   8)  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 13, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

Excellent!  Hopefully this can make some thing simpler (at the moment my doctor + nursedwarves' burrow includes not only the hospital, but every cloth, thread, barrel/pot, and drink stockpile in the fortress.  They were all systematically added each time a new string of endless job cancellations came from a nurse and I had to track down which stockpile they were trying to return the beer barrel/thread they just picked up to  :( )

Backpacks & waterskins only became effective with 34.11
 (*) Made dwarves eat from backpacks/drink from waterskins earlier

Your best bet is to make a smaller stockpile that accepts empty barrels in your magma area, let your main barrel stockpile take from that stockpile. From time to time you'll still be bothered by some dwarf trying to access another stockpile outside of the burrow: just forbid the item he is currently hauling. That will make him drop it, reclaim it after that and everything should be dandy.
Same goes for a thread stockpile in your hospital burrow.
Also do not forget to include a place with fresh clothing, so your burrowed dwarves do not run around naked.
(a>b) ? false : true

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: June 13, 2012, 09:00:07 pm »

Forgive me for judging this to be the modern successor to the "Little Questions" threads we once had here, but I have some questions for you gentlemen.

1. Does magma burn away all impurities - including dust?

2. Does water cleanse dwarves and remove the need for soap?

3. Is it possible to have some kind of cleaning system installed in a fortress corridor - e.g. floor at the top is split into two small tunnels filled with magma in one tunnel and water in the other, floor below is just the corridor but has magma safe grates, floor at the bottom is empty and large enough for the magma/water to evaporate on its own. The water would drop down from the top floor, cleaning the dwarves of any dust, then the dwarves leave and then magma is poured in after the water evaporates. The magma burns away all the dust that is collected at the grates or on the floor.

4. Can enemies destroy these floor grates/open flood gates, rendering the system worthless in the event of a siege?
1. Yes, magma cleanses all contaminants on a tile.

2. It washes contaminants off dwarves, but injured dwarves still need their wounds cleaned with soap.

3. Not sure if that would work, sorry.

4. Yes.

realityflaw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:21 pm »

Playing with Volcano embarks ATM, and am having a lot of FUN working out a good way to manage it, I've had a lot of experience with aqueduct embarks, so I felt I was up to the task, but I'm having an issue;

How to get rid of the lava,

Can I fortify the edge of the map (can you still do that) and make it someone else's problem?
Can I just flow it back into the magma tube like I'd do with an aqueduct?
Or do I have to manually obsidianize it all to get rid of it?

Basically I had an issue on my last try with fire creatures, namely an imp that destroyed nearly a third of my population before it was taken down by a particularly valiant war dog, so I'm thinking of a more defensible structure this time with grates, floodgates, and an early warning system (small animal on a chain.) But I'm stymied on how to reset the system in the event of building destroyers.

I have support lines planned already (for the canary, and a levered "air lock" that will hopefully hold the creature in the magma while I designate a pond nearby) and I got half way through digging a huge dump cistern to use to empty the system to allow repairs, when I realized that it was a pretty bad idea in the long run, I can empty the lines into the cistern only a few times before it'll fill up and I'll have created a new problem.

My cistern is really close to the tube, I'd really like to channel the bottom of it into the tube and have it pour back in that way but the pressure systems with magma are different.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:12 am »

Just have a portion or all of your cistern covered in drawbridges, they can atomsmash magma, too :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 14, 2012, 10:09:11 am »

Waterskins for civilians were effective in .31. Active military would hold off eating and drinking their supplies for ages, but I never saw thirsty civilians except when they were on a task that took a while. Even then, they'd take a swig as soon as they finished the task and go right back to what they were doing. :)

I never used backpacks for civilians because it stopped them using the dining room, and unlike with drinks they'd split their food supply into stacks. If they were set to carry three meals, they'd go and refill the backpack as soon as one of them was gone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:07 am »

Your best bet is to make a smaller stockpile that accepts empty barrels in your magma area, let your main barrel stockpile take from that stockpile. From time to time you'll still be bothered by some dwarf trying to access another stockpile outside of the burrow: just forbid the item he is currently hauling. That will make him drop it, reclaim it after that and everything should be dandy.
Same goes for a thread stockpile in your hospital burrow.
Also do not forget to include a place with fresh clothing, so your burrowed dwarves do not run around naked.

Hmmm, with the rate of job cancellation spam I've gotten in my experience with burrowed magma dwarves / hospital dwarves, the benefits of the burrow aren't worth the hassle of constantly forbidding, unforbidding items etc.  I'd prefer a hands-free approach, even if it involves a bit more walking.  For example, with the thread/cloth issues with my hospital, in any future forts, I plan to make sure the hospital is adjacent to the clothing industry, so that I can include all cloth/thread stockpiles in the "Nurse's Burrow" without sacrificing efficiency.

Good point for the clothing stockpile.  That would probably be another thing I would put in the center and make part of both burrows, along with the 'worn clothing' discard pile, because if there are 2 options to put / take things from, and one is outside the burrow, the job cancellation just isn't worth it to me.  Of course, aside from some promising modding in Modest Mod to supposedly eliminate clothing wear, when I upgrade to 34.11 I hear that armor counts against nudity thoughts.  With civilian squads, I plan to not have a single scrap of clothing in my fort, going full armor on everyone, to prevent the whole clothing issue (which supposedly is bad for FPS anyways).

Waterskins for civilians were effective in .31. Active military would hold off eating and drinking their supplies for ages, but I never saw thirsty civilians except when they were on a task that took a while. Even then, they'd take a swig as soon as they finished the task and go right back to what they were doing. :)

I never used backpacks for civilians because it stopped them using the dining room, and unlike with drinks they'd split their food supply into stacks. If they were set to carry three meals, they'd go and refill the backpack as soon as one of them was gone.

Yeah, I always avoided food carrying for civilians for that reason too (as well as frequent rotten meals in rooms in previous versions).  I'm in the process of mass-produing waterskins, now I just have to deal with the issue of dwarves never fully equipping their uniform in one go... even with multiple {m}ove orders to station some soldiers over my armor stockpiles, about half of them still haven't put on their steel helms.  And of the half that do have helms already, about half of those are bronze/copper etc., so I need to figure out how to get them to gear up properly...
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 422