Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881743 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1860 on: May 22, 2012, 11:53:26 am »

A pushed cart seemed to go very fast imo. Although that might just be because of 125fps as I haven't actually used rollers so I can't really compare.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »

I can't find HFS! ive been looking all around the magma see and even a few layers above it. am i in the wrong place?(first time looking for hfs) i've found and mined a crapload of candy but i still cant find it!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »

I can't find HFS! ive been looking all around the magma see and even a few layers above it. am i in the wrong place?(first time looking for hfs) i've found and mined a crapload of candy but i still cant find it!

Mine all the candy. You'll hit it eventually. Just be ready when you do.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »

Mine all the candy. You'll hit it eventually. Just be ready when you do.

Yep.  Once I hit it at z-level -120 something.  I got lucky, all of the spires I had were over 60 z-levels tall and ended only a few z-levels above the HFS.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 23, 2012, 10:16:21 am »

Can you name Stockpiles? im tired of seeing "Stockpile #23" for custom stockpiles -> want to name them "Gold Coin Stockpile" , "SoapMakers Ash Stockpile" etc.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 23, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »

no stockpile naming as of yet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 23, 2012, 02:58:17 pm »

Can you name Stockpiles? im tired of seeing "Stockpile #23" for custom stockpiles -> want to name them "Gold Coin Stockpile" , "SoapMakers Ash Stockpile" etc.
Nope, unfortunately. I find myself wanting to do the exact same thing very often. You can use the (N)otes system as a substitute though.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 23, 2012, 06:04:04 pm »

Is there a way to move the cursor more than one line at a time, but less than a whole screen at a time, when viewing the new full-screen lists?  For instance, on the "Stocks" screen, it takes forever to scroll down to "bars".  I either have to hold down the arrow key for just over 4 seconds and let it accelerate, or press the key several dozen times.

I thought maybe Shift-Down would jump 10 at a time, but alas it didn't.  I tried the mouse, but I couldn't move the cursor by clicking either.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 23, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Is there a way to move the cursor more than one line at a time, but less than a whole screen at a time, when viewing the new full-screen lists?  For instance, on the "Stocks" screen, it takes forever to scroll down to "bars".  I either have to hold down the arrow key for just over 4 seconds and let it accelerate, or press the key several dozen times.

I thought maybe Shift-Down would jump 10 at a time, but alas it didn't.  I tried the mouse, but I couldn't move the cursor by clicking either.
You can skip lines by 2,8 or pages by 3,9 (num-keypad). Also you can resize the window. I am for example after pressing 3 on logs and stones (damn my small monitor :D).
I am afraid there is no other way.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 23, 2012, 07:11:16 pm »

Is there a way to use Lazy Newb Pack with 34.10, or must I simply wait for a new LNP to be released?

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 23, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »

question about terrifying embarks and such. I've read up on the rains etc that plague this sites, but how do you see them/ know they are there? I've never once seen a weather effect in any of my games, besides fire.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »

question about terrifying embarks and such. I've read up on the rains etc that plague this sites, but how do you see them/ know they are there? I've never once seen a weather effect in any of my games, besides fire.

Take a look at a world like this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's pretty much 99% evil, except for the mountains where the dwarves start out.  Each of those purple/brown/grey squares is an evil biome of some kind, with a chance of evil rain or evil clouds.

With the right evil conditions, you have barely a few seconds of real time to get underground before the death comes sweeping by.  In other cases, it can be downright boring.  All up to the random number generator.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:22 pm »

Hey, can a pump draw water from a tile if I put a grate over it, link it to a lever and deactivate it? What about retracting bridges?

e: Looks like they can pull through grates anyhow, but I'm kinda curious about the bridge thing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:17:02 pm by Dorfimedes »
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:38 am »

Is there a way to use Lazy Newb Pack with 34.10, or must I simply wait for a new LNP to be released?

you'll have to wait, though I'm pretty sure you could at least update therapist manually as soon as they update it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1874 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:41 am »

Hey, can a pump draw water from a tile if I put a grate over it, link it to a lever and deactivate it? What about retracting bridges?

e: Looks like they can pull through grates anyhow, but I'm kinda curious about the bridge thing.

A pump will pull water through a grate whether or not the grate is linked to anything.

A bridge over the inlet tile of a pump will block water from being pumped.  If you retract the bridge, you will then be able to pump water.  You can use a retracting bridge as a valve to control the flow of water into the pump this way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 422