Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881737 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1800 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:45 pm »

So I stopped playing DF just a little before .34 came out, but decided to dive back in after seeing the .08 update. I was digging my normal magma channel when my dwarf magically caught fire, despite being a good distance from the now moving magma. So seeing him aflame I made some random dig orders so he'll get away from the population. About half way there he disappeared. I watched him, but I'm still confused as to what happened.

Instead of being announced dead, citizens now go missing, and are only announced as dead when the body is found by other or their ghost has appeared. And magma apparently has mist now, like water. !!FUN!!

Oh yes, even more !!FUN!! to be had. Are shore volcanoes still rare?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »

Despite an abundance of exceptional and masterwork doors installed throughout the fort, my dwarves only seem to get thoughts from admiring "fine" ones. I don't think I have any fine doors.  Are the happy thoughts based off of value rather than item quality, as I suspect?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Pare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 17, 2012, 11:24:57 pm »

A baby has been injured while her mother was fighting some titan spider. The mother is fine, but the baby has some injuries and has gone pale. I burrowed her and the med dwarf into the hospital, but I cant get them to diagnose or treat the baby.
Although baby was a superb meatshield, I'd like to heal her. Anyway to that while she still is a baby?
She will be a 'child' in about 4 months, but I dont think she'd make it that far.

I think babies are not sent to the hospital, so better hope she lives the four months.

I had one case of this: one of my miners fell and had her baby in her lap. The mother survived with light injuries, but the baby broke both upper legs. I wrote her off as the mother just wanted to carry her around.

She didn't get infected, though and seemed happy. When she grew to be a child, the mother immediately rushed her to the hospital where she received casts and crutches and now she's happily doing whatever dwarf children do.

That is, getting a) drunk b) in the way.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1803 on: May 18, 2012, 03:10:07 am »

Question, what's better for armor, leather or bone? Negligible between the two?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 18, 2012, 04:20:25 am »

Either's better than nothing, but I doubt there's much between them. If anything I imagine bone to be slightly better, but it is more limited in the types of armour you can make, while leather is probably less hassle (and very cheap).

Bone looks cooler obviously.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:20 am »

You can make robes, dresses and cloaks from leather, and those give more coverage than any bone armor, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:57:24 am by uggi »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1806 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »

All fine points. Thank yah!

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 18, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »

Either's better than nothing, but I doubt there's much between them. If anything I imagine bone to be slightly better, but it is more limited in the types of armour you can make, while leather is probably less hassle (and very cheap).

how do you get that it looks cooler when you can't actually see it?

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 18, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »

Is it just a coincidence that, since the release of .08, I've seen a huge rise in falling/ flying object-related deaths in the news?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 19, 2012, 04:15:24 am »

Bone armor looks like this guy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 19, 2012, 11:29:24 am »

Is it just a coincidence that, since the release of .08, I've seen a huge rise in falling/ flying object-related deaths in the news?

nope, falling items now cause damage. If you had a garbage chute standard, yeah, it'll hurt

it's called imagination, try and get some
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 19, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

nope, falling items now cause damage. If you had a garbage chute standard, yeah, it'll hurt

If only the damn dorfs would understand the effects of gravity. Let me illustrate:

Code: [Select]
z+1:    z 0:

V       ^ 
+++++   #####
+++++   #+X+#
+++++   +XXX+
+++++   #+X+#
+++++   #####

legend:
^/V  up/down ramp
+    floor
#    wall
X    up/down stairs

I wanted to deconstruct the floors above the stairs in z+1, and then replace them with another set of stairs, i.e. build another level upwards. Instead of using the ramp to climb to level z+1 and then deconstruct the floor pieces by standing next to them, the damn dorfs stood on the stairs in z 0 and deconstructed the floors right above their heads, and after the deconstructed stone blocks hit their heads they plummeted down a few z-levels. First casualty in my .08 fort and another dorf waiting for a crutch. I finally had to use burrows to restrict them to use only the z+1 level.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 19, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »

How do I set a stockpile to refuse the use of barrels within it? Whenever I set a stockpile down, the max number of barrels and bins are already at 0, yet each and everyone of these stockpiles are then filled to the brim with barrels and bins accordingly.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »

How do I set a stockpile to refuse the use of barrels within it? Whenever I set a stockpile down, the max number of barrels and bins are already at 0, yet each and everyone of these stockpiles are then filled to the brim with barrels and bins accordingly.

When you say 'when I set a stockpile down' are you referring to the numbers you see in the stockpile placement (p) tool?

If so, those are the 'reserved' barrels/bins which are kept from use by any stockpile - used most commonly to keep a stock of barrels available for brewing.

The number of barrels/bins actually used by stockpiles themselves can be set in the stockpile settings (q) once it's been placed. Normally it defaults to a number appropriate to the goods to be stored in the stockpile, so if you want a no-barrels food stockpile you will need to amend this setting manually.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 19, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »

I have a slight problem with a few of my stockpiles (v .07). Dwarves wont restock them. I have about 200 logs sitting in my depot and my wood stockpiles is empty. I tried moving the stockpile, deconstructing the depot, etc. Same goes for my lignite stockpile. Lots of idle haulers. No current burrow orders. I'm puzzled.

I read that in the newest version removed f.ex. any channeling issues with the miner and possibly the mined out stone 'falling' down one z-level when the ramp is finished thus hurting the dwarf. If that is what is bugging you.

I wanted to deconstruct the floors above the stairs in z+1, and then replace them with another set of stairs, i.e. build another level upwards. Instead of using the ramp to climb to level z+1 and then deconstruct the floor pieces by standing next to them, the damn dorfs stood on the stairs in z 0 and deconstructed the floors right above their heads, and after the deconstructed stone blocks hit their heads they plummeted down a few z-levels. First casualty in my .08 fort and another dorf waiting for a crutch. I finally had to use burrows to restrict them to use only the z+1 level.

Maybe you could have constructed some fake walls (suspending their construction) on the stairs - dwarfs wont stand on these tiles then to do something else. If they were constructed stairs, you could have ordered destroying them and then suspend that order. I'm not sure about this though, but it might help directing the dwarves.
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 422